Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Windows 10 Question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/windows-10-question-294148/)

New Englander 06-26-2019 12:22 PM

Windows 10 Question

When I turn on my win 10 laptop Microsoft will start Edge and some web page will open. I only use Google Chrome and don't want ANYTHING to start unless I click on it. I've tried to stop this but to no avail. Anyone here know how to do this?

Kahuna32162 06-26-2019 01:32 PM

Windows 10 : How to Turn on or turn off Microsoft Edge run in Background - YouTube

Sjones 06-26-2019 04:29 PM

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and then click the Startup tab. (If you don't see any tabs, click the MORE Details link at the bottom to expand Task Manager.
That tab displays a potentially long list of programs that have been configured to start up every time you turn on your PC.
To prevent a program from starting automatically, click its entry in the list and then click the Disable button at the bottom of the Task Manager window. To re-enable a disabled app, click the Enable button. (Both options are also available if you right-click any entry on the list.)

Biker Dog 06-27-2019 03:39 AM

Ctrl+Shift+Del??????

JoelJohnson 06-27-2019 06:51 AM

I've switched to Linux Mint this past year and I don't see any reason to go back to Windows. Linux doesn't force you to run updates or need virus protection or slow your PC down over time ... it just works!

Now, I understand that some people need a Windows PC to run Windows programs, but if all you do is web stuff (Facebook, banking, etc) then Linux will do you well. Linux does have thousands of programs that do what Windows programs do, but you have to learn a new system to some degree.

Sjones 06-27-2019 09:59 AM

Ctrl+Shift+Del - This is hold down the CTRL (and) Shift (AND) and DEL keys - all labeled exactly like this all three at the same time

New Englander 06-27-2019 04:01 PM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.

JoelJohnson 06-28-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1660599)
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.

If you want to try Linux let me know. I swap out your hard drive for one that has Linux on it. That way you can try it out without any loss. If you like Linux you keep the disk and I reformat your old drive for someone else to try Linux.

New Englander 06-28-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoelJohnson (Post 1660687)
If you want to try Linux let me know. I swap out your hard drive for one that has Linux on it. That way you can try it out without any loss. If you like Linux you keep the disk and I reformat your old drive for someone else to try Linux.

Thank you but no.

New Englander 06-28-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sjones (Post 1660428)
Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager and then click the Startup tab. (If you don't see any tabs, click the MORE Details link at the bottom to expand Task Manager.
That tab displays a potentially long list of programs that have been configured to start up every time you turn on your PC.
To prevent a program from starting automatically, click its entry in the list and then click the Disable button at the bottom of the Task Manager window. To re-enable a disabled app, click the Enable button. (Both options are also available if you right-click any entry on the list.)

I don't know why, but Edge was not on the start-up tab.

New Englander 06-28-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 (Post 1660379)

I tried this. Time will tell if it worked. For some reason Edge does not start on it's own every time. I will wait and see.

New Englander 06-28-2019 10:33 AM

Thank you all for the help. :coolsmiley:

GWWeber 07-22-2019 09:24 AM

From your desktop screen
CTRL ALT DEL,
Click on Task Manager
Click on More Details
Click on Startup tab
Click on Edge
Click on Disable

Restart your computer - Should stop Edge fromm loading

DjinGA 07-31-2019 03:49 PM

From the search window (bottom left) type in Default App Settings.
The next screen will have Web Browser. I'm sure it will have Edge listed as the default. (NEVER use Edge)
Change the default browser to Chrome and your done!

As for startups, I suggest you download and run CCleaner. It finds and gets rid of spyware. One of the options is startup programs. Run it and see if Edge is set to launch.
Change the setting to Disabled.
For that matter, anything that you don't need, you should disable.

Good luck,
DJ

JoelJohnson 08-01-2019 06:55 AM

One of many reasons I gave up on Windows!