Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Just For Fun (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/just-fun-109/)
-   -   Drivers in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/just-fun-109/drivers-villages-294221/)

Bosoxfan 06-27-2019 09:28 PM

Drivers in The Villages

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 80008

Or get in the left lane on Morse,Buena Vista or 468 and stay there because the roundabout is a mile away🤔

manaboutown 06-27-2019 09:51 PM

lol

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-28-2019 06:55 AM

It's the "I'm retired, relax and take your time!" mentality. Remember kids - those Ambassadors won't be able to bring you your water, if you make them late to work.

Taltarzac725 06-28-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1660678)
It's the "I'm retired, relax and take your time!" mentality. Remember kids - those Ambassadors won't be able to bring you your water, if you make them late to work.

Actually some of the golf cart drivers here in the Villages seem to think they are on New York City time and are very late for a date.

NotGolfer 06-28-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1660686)
Actually some of the golf cart drivers here in the Villages seem to think they are on New York City time and are very late for a date.

Then there's that.

Today however I was at the round-about at Morse and Odell and I was in the left lane to go south. When I encountered a woman, who'd clearly been to a pool (by her attire) who made her way, the wrong way on the round-about, to go west on Odell towards Hemingway. IF I had been in a hurry...she'd have been a hood ornament on my car. I looked and she wasn't street legal neither. BUT how she got out there AND also did that maneuver illegally at the circle besides---she must have had a death wish!!

Velvet 06-28-2019 02:22 PM

The traffic in TV is extraordinarily difficult. Even my husband who drives for a living all over the North American continent, found it confusing. It’s truly amazing how few accidents there really seem to be in TV. Everyone is used to lights at intersections. Very few places have roundabouts that I have been to. It takes getting used to. Any idea why they have things the way they do?

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-28-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1660776)
The traffic in TV is extraordinarily difficult. Even my husband who drives for a living all over the North American continent, found it confusing. It’s truly amazing how few accidents there really seem to be in TV. Everyone is used to lights at intersections. Very few places have roundabouts that I have been to. It takes getting used to. Any idea why they have things the way they do?

The "studies prove" that it reduces traffic congestion.

The reality is - there normally wouldn't be that much congestion in the first place at the Villages if they had stop lights :)

Nucky 06-28-2019 03:00 PM

Does anybody else get an occasional warning on your Cell Phone that Traffic in Your area is expected to be a little heavier for the next hour? I just smile and THANK GOD that we live here. I'll take the Crumby Drivers here anytime.

I would think that with the new signs that are being installed on the Golf Cart Paths should help with those that are still aggravated for some reason. I, We weren't born with the knowledge of each and every street or Cart Path in The Villages. We each know our own HOOD like the back of our hand so to speak but may slow up traffic every so slightly while trying to make sense of a GPS Service that is Spotty but Better Lately and Directional Signage on Cart Paths That Suck but will be improved shortly. That was one of the things I put on My Villages Questionnaire last year.

You know that person you just rushed, pushed to hurry, made feel uncomfortable? How would you feel if it was a Close Family Member? What if they were coming from a Doctors Office or Hospital and just got devastating news. Back off, Think, Take it Easy!

If you are on the road the right-hand lane is for sightseeing the left lane is for Top Fuel, Funny Car Drivers! Zoom, Zoom, Zoom! Maybe they need to get to the Hospital for an emergency. Can't everyone just get along? :1rotfl: :blahblahblah:

Bogie Shooter 06-28-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1660776)

Roundabout - Wikipedia

Velvet 06-28-2019 03:22 PM

They’re supposed to be safer, huh? My impression is some people get on them, close their eyes and hope nobody hits them, that they might get home in one piece tonight... maybe it just looks that way.

ColdNoMore 06-28-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1660791)
They’re supposed to be safer, huh? My impression is some people get on them, close their eyes and hope nobody hits them, that they might get home in one piece tonight... maybe it just looks that way.

You and your husband's "impressions"...are correct. :thumbup:

Although some like to talk about "the rules" when negotiating them and tout their knowledge about how they are supposed to be navigated, in reality...the roundabouts ARE a bit of a free-for-all.

Here's an old thread showing how a lot of our roundabouts are actually different...with different signage/instructions. :oops:

Roundabout about roundabouts (use clicker here :D)

What helps though, is the slower speeds of our main roads and traveling in the same direction while in the RA itself, which means the higher speed 'T-Bone collisions' along with 'head-on's (the most dangerous types)...are minimized.

Polar Bear 06-28-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1660781)
The "studies prove" that it reduces traffic congestion.

The reality is - there normally wouldn't be that much congestion in the first place at the Villages if they had stop lights :)

Your conclusion couldn’t be more wrong. Those “studies” are correct.

(Just for the record, I’m a career Professional Engineer specialized in transportation and traffic.)

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-28-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1660831)
Your conclusion couldn’t be more wrong. Those “studies” are correct.

(Just for the record, I’m a career Professional Engineer specialized in transportation and traffic.)

(just for the record, this is the "Just For Fun" subforum, hence the smiley face at the end of the post you quoted)

Here's another one: :)

Polar Bear 06-28-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1660850)
(just for the record, this is the "Just For Fun" subforum, hence the smiley face at the end of the post you quoted)

Here's another one: :)

Point taken. :) (One more.)

Bosoxfan 06-28-2019 09:10 PM

I believe that slow drivers in the wrong lane wether it's on the highway or villages main roads cause more traffic problems,accidents and headaches.Please,Please if you're not passing get out of the left lane...PLEASE