Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   A/C repair (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/c-repair-294227/)

rockaway 06-28-2019 08:52 AM

A/C repair

Our A/C stopped yesterday morning and based upon the great
reviews of Chuck Farrell I called them. They told me that they
were backed up until next week and recommended
M & S Air Conditioning.

M & S showed up in the afternoon and had the problem fixed
in no time. Two great techs and price. We were so impressed
that we signed up for there P.M. service.

New Englander 06-28-2019 09:15 AM

What was the problem and cost to fix it?

rockaway 06-28-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1660700)
What was the problem and cost to fix it?

It was the capacitor that exploded, oil all over the place.

Don,t want to give exact price because every job different
would not be fair to company, but including the PM contract
was under $500.

EdFNJ 06-28-2019 10:29 AM

What is "PM service". Is that a service contract just for the A/C? How long a contact for $500 bucks? Well, maybe deduct $125 for the capacitor minimum labor & part so probably around $375. What are you getting for that?

retiredguy123 06-28-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1660715)
What is "PM service". Is that a service contract just for the A/C? How long a contact for $500 bucks? Well, maybe deduct $125 for the capacitor minimum labor & part so probably around $375. What are you getting for that?

Sounds like a preventative maintenance agreement. I don't think these agreements are worth buying because almost nothing will prevent your AC from breaking down. It certainly would not have prevented a capacitor from failing. Also, when my AC unit fails, I like that I am not locked in to a specific contractor. I have heard that Chuck Farrell is a good contractor, but he wouldn't be good enough for me to wait a week for him to show up while I had no air conditioning.

CFrance 06-28-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1660722)
Sounds like a preventative maintenance agreement. I don't think these agreements are worth buying because almost nothing will prevent your AC from breaking down. It certainly would not have prevented a capacitor from failing. Also, when my AC unit fails, I like that I am not locked in to a specific contractor. I have heard that Chuck Farrell is a good contractor, but he wouldn't be good enough for me to wait a week for him to show up while I had no air conditioning.

We've always had a maintenance contract with Sun Kool. They respond immediately and have saved our (hot) bacon three times in the last 7 years. They clean out the mold and change the filter. This week our capacitor went out. The part was under warranty but not the labor. However, since they had just been out in May for their semi-annual inspection, we had a $50 labor credit. Our total cost was $14. Some things are worth the cost. The unit has to be cleaned and maintained anyway, and I'm happy to have the pros do it.

Toymeister 06-28-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1660722)

If you are frugal and a DIYer just buy a capacitor to have on hand. Buy a USA manufactured one ( $30-35 on Amazon). It is probably a 5/35 MFD. Or simply test the capacitance to see if it is close to failure (YouTube has how to videos). Also on YouTube you will find how to replace these. Or, if you really believe in PM, replace annually. That is what I do.

Chatbrat 06-28-2019 11:21 AM

Nothing worse than being hit with a fully charged capacitor--definitly not a DIY for the average villager--espicially if you have a defrib implant or a pacemaker

Toymeister 06-28-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1660732)
Nothing worse than being hit with a fully charged capacitor--definitly not a DIY for the average villager--espicially if you have a defrib implant or a pacemaker

All DIY projects are beyond the scope of nearly every Villager. Even something as simple as this.

It is funny as I was posting this I wondered how long it would take to get to get a warning of how extremely dangerous this is (it is not). Invariably, this comes from someone who has never done the task.
Only a few minutes, it seems

retiredguy123 06-28-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1660729)
If you are frugal and a DIYer just buy a capacitor to have on hand. Buy a USA manufactured one ( $30-35 on Amazon). It is probably a 5/35 MFD. Or simply test the capacitance to see if it is close to failure (YouTube has how to videos). Also on YouTube you will find how to replace these. Or, if you really believe in PM, replace annually. That is what I do.

Apparently, Sun Cool doesn't believe in doing this. Read Post No. 6.

Chatbrat 06-28-2019 11:46 AM

I'm a retired electrical contractor, I know how to discharge a capacitor-- an old trick in the navy was to put a charged capacitor in someones jump suit-- it was like getting a zap from a taser

Toymeister 06-28-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1660734)
Apparently, Sun Cool doesn't believe in doing this. Read Post No. 6.

If your point is PM service calls do not identify potential problems by checking for capacitance, I agree. If it is capacitors are not replaced annually during PM call, again I agree. If it is service contracts are not a good value, ditto.

If it is early replacement of a part prone to failure is illadvised, I do not.

Chatbrat 06-28-2019 11:54 AM

Lots of legacy contractors, are too busy to be bothered with anything but new construction or complete replacements-IMHO, if your system is more than 10 yrs old plan on a new system soon--it will be cheaper in the long run

EdFNJ 06-28-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1660729)

Yep, just got & installed OEM cap for A/H fan last week for $9 off Amz and 10 mins install. Replaced cap and contactor in compressor unit when we moved in 2yrs ago just for the fact they were 9yrs old and always keep 1 each of those 3 parts "in-stock." Not so much (well, yes so much) for saving $$$ but I couldn't survive 1hr without A/C. If the compressor goes that's beyond my reach but there aren't many other parts left other than 2 fans. and 2 controllers which are still under $50 on the web.

VJBama 06-28-2019 12:14 PM

Here is a video on how to discharge capacitors. If you have made it this far in life I am confident that you can handle this task.
How To Safely Discharge Your Air Conditioner Run Capacitor - YouTube

If you are a DIYer you will likely agree that this is very simple.