Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   How to FSBO when not in TV? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/how-fsbo-when-not-tv-294375/)

stvaughn 07-01-2019 05:02 AM

How to FSBO when not in TV?

What is the best way to FSBO when you are not on property? We can come down with a little notice for a serious buyer.

dewilson58 07-01-2019 05:05 AM

Friend / Neighbor

stvaughn 07-01-2019 06:14 AM

Not a bad idea, but really don’t want to impose on my neighbors.

Toymeister 07-01-2019 06:29 AM

If the question is how do you offer access to a vacant home then install wifi controlled locks and garage door.

In this way you can open a garage door for a viewing.

Is this perfect? No. Is it cheaper than 6% commission?, Yes.

Your DIY cost, about 350.00. Remove devices before you vacate and use them on another home.

stvaughn 07-01-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 1661309)
If the question is how do you offer access to a vacant home then install wifi controlled locks and garage door.

In this way you can open a garage door for a viewing.

Is this perfect? No. Is it cheaper than 6% commission?, Yes.

Your DIY cost, about 350.00. Remove devices before you vacate and use them on another home.

Thanks, that’s an option I had not considered. Do you have a suggestion for such equipment?

Toymeister 07-01-2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stvaughn (Post 1661317)
Thanks, that’s an option I had not considered. Do you have a suggestion for such equipment?

Besides internet you need four things:

The brains of the operation, called a hub. Use wink1 or Smart things

A wifi lock schledge or quickset. Use schledge.

A door position detector. Many brands are available and which one to get depends upon the hub you choose.

A wifi switch which mimics the momentarily contact you do when the garage open button is pushed. A device with spelling like mini memoo. I will get the exact spelling in a follow on post.

Sure you can replace the entire opener if you want. It is expensive, and not moveable to a new location.

Barefoot 07-01-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stvaughn (Post 1661297)
What is the best way to FSBO when you are not on property?

Being non-technical, I'd use a Home Watch Company for showings.

OldManTime 07-01-2019 08:21 AM

Fsbo

stvaughn 07-01-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1661338)
Being non-technical, I'd use a Home Watch Company for showings.

I wasn’t aware that they did that. Are there any you recommend?

Barefoot 07-01-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stvaughn (Post 1661368)
I wasn’t aware that they did that. Are there any you recommend?

I've used the Village Watchdogs for many, many years. They are very dependable.
Doesn't hurt to ask. thevillagewatchdogs@comcast.net

rjm1cc 07-01-2019 01:28 PM

I would not risk the internet solution. If I was a bad prospect I could override your system and come back and do what I wanted in the home.

retiredguy123 07-01-2019 01:47 PM

To me, the whole idea of selling a house remotely with no one to show it is a bad idea.

Villageswimmer 07-01-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1661441)
To me, the whole idea of selling a house remotely with no one to show it is a bad idea.

I agree. Unless you have a trusted friend or relative, why not wait until you return?

I hope you have some nice photos and post on Zillow when you’re ready. It’s not easy to market a FSBO here. We sold ours to the first Zillow inquiry. Good luck.

Velvet 07-01-2019 02:20 PM

From a foreign buyer’s point of view: we do not know the Florida system, the real estate system, the legal system etc. Florida is known for scams, swamps etc. How do you know who to trust?
There was a lovely FSBO great price too. But... I didn’t know anyone so I was afraid to get involved... I ended up working with real estate people who turned out to be hard to work with and I needed to constantly involve several other people and this forum to make sure I got everything right without being taken advantage of too much. I still overpaid about $20K more than if I had known how the system worked. I love my house, it was worth it, but I will do it differently next time.

valuemkt 07-01-2019 03:05 PM

This sounds like an accident waiting to happen.. Are you familiar with Florida real estate laws ? Have you bought and sold real estate in Florida and other states ? Are you capable of negotiating and completing needed repairs ? Have you staged your home ? I'm not a realtor . never have been .. and I've done many sales in numerous states.. but there are many situations where hiring a professional will save you time, money and grief. There are many people that will brag about how easy it was and how much money they saved. Those that had disasters and law suits aren't quite as brave to stand up to ridicule ..

Best of luck to you.