Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Drywall stress crack (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/drywall-stress-crack-29439/)

Pat Reilly 05-28-2010 05:18 PM

Drywall stress crack

Our home is out of warranty, two years old, and there is a stress crack from the ceiling where the wall and ceiling meet and stops over the door frame. Any suggestions on repairing?? called warranty office and no luck..they gave me the drywall company # and I did call be also no help since out of warranty.

mrbillmidlo 05-28-2010 07:38 PM

1. Go to Lowes.
  2. Get a small bucket of joint compound, mesh joint tape, and some putty knives.
  3. Score the crack so you will be able to get some joint compound in it.
  4. Dampen the area around the crack.
  5. Spread a light coating of joint compound over the area.
  6. Spread the mesh joint tape over the crack and press in with a putty knife.
  7. Spread a light coat of joint compound over this.
  8. Let dry.
  9. Sand lightly.
  10. Spread additional coats, letting dry and sanding between each until it ls smooth.
  11. Repaint.

The folks at Lowes are very helpful. No, I don't work at Lowes and don't have stock in the company.

skip0358 05-28-2010 08:29 PM

Just an idea

I'd stop by one of the houses under construction and get on of the spacklers to fix it. Might cost a couple of bucks but they'll do it to match. There's a house accross from me on Heath Springs Dr. in Bonita. I'm pretty sure the spacklers are starting there as the rock just got finished.

Pturner 05-28-2010 09:27 PM

I know a drywall stress crack. He freaks out a lot.

graciegirl 05-29-2010 05:59 AM

I LOVE all three QUOTES, below;

I'd stop by one of the houses under construction and get on of the spacklers to fix it. Might cost a couple of bucks but they'll do it to match. There's a house accross from me on Heath Springs Dr. in Bonita. I'm pretty sure the spacklers are starting there as the rock just got finished. Skip"

"Go to Lowes.
Get a small bucket of joint compound, mesh joint tape, and some putty knives.
Score the crack so you will be able to get some joint compound in it.
Dampen the area around the crack.
Spread a light coating of joint compound over the area.
Spread the mesh joint tape over the crack and press in with a putty knife.
Spread a light coat of joint compound over this.
Let dry.
Sand lightly.
Spread additional coats, letting dry and sanding between each until it ls smooth.
Repaint.

The folks at Lowes are very helpful. No, I don't work at Lowes and don't have stock in the company. mrbillmidlo"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pturner (Post 267076)
I know a drywall stress crack. He freaks out a lot.

[/

I want each and every one of you three to live next door to us. Skip and Mr.Bill for their practical advice and P Turner to make me laugh!:a040::MOJE_whot::coolsmiley:

Pat Reilly 05-29-2010 09:26 AM

Drywall Stress Crack

OK....the ladder is coming out of the garage and the project will be started today..thanks so much for all the suggestions..start with plan A..if it fails go to plan B..will let you know the outcome.

mulligan 05-29-2010 09:46 AM

cracked

Funny........I got the distinct impression there was very little stress in THE VILLAGES.

Rag Bagger 05-31-2010 11:39 AM

If it's a very small hairline crack.

Don't do all the tape and compound just use the latex spacling compound. If you have to use the tape and plaster you will find it very hard to match the textured finish. Of course I am assuming you have a textured surface to deal with.

NormaJean 06-08-2010 08:11 PM

stress in the Villages

Ok mulligan....that was funny, just what we needed!

Pturner 06-08-2010 08:26 PM

Goodbye NormaJean. Sorry, I just had to say it. I'll start over. Hello, NormaJean. Welcome to TOTV.