Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Movies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/)
-   -   "YESTERDAY" movie (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/yesterday-movie-294495/)

DeanFL 07-02-2019 02:17 PM

"YESTERDAY" movie

saw in LSL, 12:20 showing - sold out theater. If you like music, if you like The Beatles - this is a must - see. THOROUGHLY enjoyed. Do not want to give anything away - but a really nice storyline and acting was quite good. The Beatles (fantastic) music interspersed in the film was wonderful (NONE performed by them...). Had a few interesting twists and turns. Held our attention throughout. Highly recommend. Only wish I saw the closed caption show, as some of the UK/Britiish dialogue was a bit hard to catch (for me). 9/10 stars.

2newyorkers 07-02-2019 05:40 PM

We also enjoyed Yesterday. If you like Beatles music I definitely recommend.

John_W 07-02-2019 06:57 PM

Saw it at 3pm today, not an empty seat in the place. Should have it in two theaters at at LSL or at Brownwood as well. Big lines before the 5:20 show as well when we came out. Seems the theater was caught off guard by the demand. I gave it an 8 out 10, really enjoyed the film. Could of been better, but most films have some flaws.

https://cdn1us.denofgeek.com/sites/d...?itok=8V53XVcs

BK001 07-02-2019 07:09 PM

I haven't seen it yet but I watched an interview of Himesh Patel, the lead actor. He is an excellent singer and, as with Bohemian Rhapsody, all the mustic was performed live. Although the Beatles had no direct involvement with the movie, they’ve been supportive.

“I got the sweetest note from Paul (McCartney),” Richard Curtis (the writer of the screenplay) said, “and I also had a very sweet letter from (George Harrison’s widow) Olivia and one from Ringo.”

The Beatles organization approved the use of 15 songs in the film (which is unusual) and licensed the title song for use during the end credits.

Taltarzac725 07-02-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1661766)
Saw it at 3pm today, not an empty seat in the place. Should have it in two theaters at at LSL or at Brownwood as well. Big lines before the 5:20 show as well when we came out. Seems the theater was caught off guard by the demand. I gave it an 8 out 10, really enjoyed the film. Could of been better, but most films have some flaws.

https://cdn1us.denofgeek.com/sites/d...?itok=8V53XVcs

I will have to wait a few weeks to see this one.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 07-04-2019 12:23 PM

Saw it last week and loved it.

A bit of trivia for those interested. When they are playing Eleanor Rigby and they show the scene of the minister in the church writing a sermon and darning his socks. The guy playing the minister is actually the Vicar at St Peter's Church in Liverpool, John Lennon's family's church.

Schaumburger 07-14-2019 08:49 PM

I also loved "Yesterday"...highly recommend it. I give it 3.8 stars out of 4. Whether you came of age in the early 1960's or are a millennial, this movie works for many ages.

If you are a fan of Downton Abbey, Lily James ("Lady Rose") has the female lead.

I agree with DeanFL in the original post . . . I also had a few times where it was difficult for me to understand the British accents.

Taltarzac725 07-15-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schaumburger (Post 1664237)
I also loved "Yesterday"...highly recommend it. I give it 3.8 stars out of 4. Whether you came of age in the early 1960's or are a millennial, this movie works for many ages.

If you are a fan of Downton Abbey, Lily James ("Lady Rose") has the female lead.

I agree with DeanFL in the original post . . . I also had a few times where it was difficult for me to understand the British accents.

They show movies with closed captions here in the Villages every Monday for selected early afternoon or late morning showings. The one today at the Old Mill Playhouse at 12:20 PM was just $5 with only about 25 people in Auditorium 1.

So, that really helped with understanding the dialogue.

Very fun movie. I had a professor at the University of Nevada, Reno in the History Department who compared the Beatles to great musicians like Beethoven, Mozart, etc. Maybe he was right as some of these Beatle songs are wonderful.

sunny70 07-15-2019 06:23 PM

Hubby and I saw the movie at 3:00. Theater was full! Movie was good, would have been better if we could understand a lot of what they said. Music was awesome! All in all, a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon followed by Pizza at Red Sauce (which was excellent)!

bandsdavis 07-15-2019 08:49 PM

College and The Beatles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1664439)
They show movies with closed captions here in the Villages every Monday for selected early afternoon or late morning showings. The one today at the Old Mill Playhouse at 12:20 PM was just $5 with only about 25 people in Auditorium 1.

Very fun movie. I had a professor at the University of Nevada, Reno in the History Department who compared the Beatles to great musicians like Beethoven, Mozart, etc. Maybe he was right as some of these Beatle songs are wonderful.

I believe it was the Spring semester of my Freshman year (Sping 1968) when I was taking Psych 101. Our professor (who a number of years later became President of the College) used the lyrics of "She's Leaving Home" as a piece that had a deep understanding of family dynamics. He didn't play the recording, he just read the lyrics as a poem, which of course they are. I think it was then that I began to understand just how meaningful The Beatles songs often are.

Taltarzac725 07-15-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandsdavis (Post 1664518)
I believe it was the Spring semester of my Freshman year (Sping 1968) when I was taking Psych 101. Our professor (who a number of years later became President of the College) used the lyrics of "She's Leaving Home" as a piece that had a deep understanding of family dynamics. He didn't play the recording, he just read the lyrics as a poem, which of course they are. I think it was then that I began to understand just how meaningful The Beatles songs often are.

The Professor loved Let It Be if I remember correctly. It just seemed odd. This was a West Point drop-out or something like that whom I had for various History courses at the University of Nevada-Reno.

Two Bills 07-16-2019 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1664439)

I wish they had had close captions for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy some years back, I never understood a word of it, and I'm a Brit!

Taltarzac725 07-16-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1664546)
I wish they had had close captions for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy some years back, I never understood a word of it, and I'm a Brit!

I remember that problem with that flick as well.

Usually, I have the captioning on with any movie I am watching on Blu-Ray or DVD as I have often been thinking that I was going crazy with some of the things I heard in movies since around 1995.

DeanFL 07-16-2019 07:17 AM

We have DirectTV and Netflix. Have captions on all the time - helpful. Helps my hearing...

Did go to Monday movies a couple times with the captions - OK depending on type of movie IMO... ones with fast-talking or accent OK. If I can hear the dialogue just fine, Captions can be a distraction.

She would probably like to have Captions ON when she talks to me...