Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Hepatitis A Ocala case Facts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/hepatitis-ocala-case-facts-294580/)

blueash 07-04-2019 07:10 AM

Hepatitis A Ocala case Facts

A recently closed thread about a case of Hepatitis A in an Ocala restaurant worker left hanging the question of whether as claimed by a poster that there had been 20 new cases of Hep A caused by exposure to this worker. It then sadly devolved into a "discussion" of whether undocumented immigrants are the cause of epidemics.

To answer the claim that this particular restaurant worker whose name and immigration status are completely unknown to the public has acted as a disease vector I emailed the Florida Dept of Health asking about the status of their investigation. You know getting FACTS. My bold and font change

Here is the reply

Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Hepatitis A in a Marion County food service facility. The inquiry was forwarded to me for a response. There was a food worker at a Zaxby’s in Ocala diagnosed with Hepatitis A in early June. Subsequent to an epidemiology and environmental investigation a patron notification was issued so persons who dined at the facility during the infectious period would have the opportunity to access the vaccine to prevent additional illnesses. There have been no Hepatitis A cases of illness linked to the Zaxby’s subsequent or prior to this single case in the person who was a food worker while infectious.

Regards,

Dean

Dean Bodager, RS, CFOI, MPA
Regional Environmental Epidemiologist
Bureau of Epidemiology
Division of Disease Control and Health Protection
Florida Department of Health

OrangeBlossomBaby 07-04-2019 07:41 AM

Glad to know it was an isolated case!

Bucco 07-04-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1662058)
A recently closed thread about a case of Hepatitis A in an Ocala restaurant worker left hanging the question of whether as claimed by a poster that there had been 20 new cases of Hep A caused by exposure to this worker. It then sadly devolved into a "discussion" of whether undocumented immigrants are the cause of epidemics.

To answer the claim that this particular restaurant worker whose name and immigration status are completely unknown to the public has acted as a disease vector I emailed the Florida Dept of Health asking about the status of their investigation. You know getting FACTS. My bold and font change

Here is the reply

Thank you for this post, and your desire for truth.

ColdNoMore 07-04-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1662079)
Thank you for this post, and your desire for truth.

Ditto. :thumbup:

villagetinker 07-04-2019 10:08 AM

Thank you for getting the facts! Have a great 4th!

Aloha1 07-08-2019 03:14 PM

Here's a real fact: Cases of Hep A infection are rising. It is endemic, for example, in Michigan. Villagers, due to our average age, are a susceptible population. Rather than argue who, what, where, do the smart thing and get the vaccine.

I will add that my physician said a booster shot is also recommended about 4 to 6 months after the first shot. She also said that Hep A shots were moving to "must vaccinate" status, ie; it will be on the list of vaccines you need to keep up to date like TDAP, Flu, etc.

gego3650 07-09-2019 12:21 PM

As I posted Me and a friend both had s
at same time.Somebody posted doesn't mean we got from some place.Total nonsense.Speaking to health dept investigator chances of that are slim to none.She is sure we got same place and pretty sure where.Only time we were together were at 3 places and could rule out two because they were so busy at the time that chances of no one else getting are very low.My wife was with at all 3 and at 2 ate the same thing the other one she had salad and us same meal prepared hers by different person
.Another falsehood is amount of people that are hospitalized.C.D.C. has interactive map with stats.Ky has over 4000 case with a large percentage that were in hospital.Currently 16 states with major outbreaks.Ohio and KY are the worse.

gego3650 08-02-2019 05:21 PM

Currently C D C has 25 states with major outbreaks.Florida's Surgeon General today says it is a epidemic in the state.My current liver doctor said he has more people in Hospital then ever in his career.My liver numbers have not dropped as yet and its been 2 mos . Also if You go to CDC"s web site about 55% who get it end up in the hosital. Don't mess around ask your Dr if you should get the shot.