Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   New hair cut pricing at Cal’s (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/new-hair-cut-pricing-cals-294658/)

Happinow 07-05-2019 10:00 PM

New hair cut pricing at Cal’s

I’ve been a customer at Cals in Brownwood for over 2 years now. I get my short hair dry cut for 17+ tip. She spends about 12 minutes with me. Today I was informed that as of Sept. 3rd, prices will go up to 28 dollars for wash and cut...no blow dry. I was a bit taken back. Going from 17 to 28 PLUS extra to blow dry is a big difference. I could see if wash, cut and blow dry was offered for 28 but without blow dry is a lot. They will no longer offer the dry (spray bottle wet) hair cut. Now...before you tell me how cheap 28 is for a wash and cut, it’s not where I come from. I paid that for full service. Once again, because we live in the villages we get taken advantage of for women’s services. Time to find a hair cut for 28.00 inclusive of wash, cut and blow dry.

karostay 07-06-2019 06:40 AM

P air of clippers at Walmart around $20

Villageswimmer 07-06-2019 06:51 AM

Maybe new price is for the “VIP” cut.

villages07 07-06-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happinow (Post 1662399)
I’ve been a customer at Cals in Brownwood for over 2 years now. I get my short hair dry cut for 17+ tip. She spends about 12 minutes with me. Today I was informed that as of Sept. 3rd, prices will go up to 28 dollars for wash and cut...no blow dry. I was a bit taken back. Going from 17 to 28 PLUS extra to blow dry is a big difference. I could see if wash, cut and blow dry was offered for 28 but without blow dry is a lot. They will no longer offer the dry (spray bottle wet) hair cut. Now...before you tell me how cheap 28 is for a wash and cut, it’s not where I come from. I paid that for full service. Once again, because we live in the villages we get taken advantage of for women’s services. Time to find a hair cut for 28.00 inclusive of wash, cut and blow dry.

This seemed a little unreasonable as Cal's just raised the price for basic ladies wetting, cut, blow dry from $15 to $17 2 years ago...after being $15 for quite a while.

I just called Cal's at Colony and asked about this rumored price increase. They said there is no pending price increase for basic wetting, cut, and blow dry. They did say if you went to Brownwood or Spanish Springs and got the "full" shampoo, cut, Style, blow dry then that price is $28.

So, I think this one is a bad rumor or a misunderstanding.

dewilson58 07-06-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villageswimmer (Post 1662420)

:bigbow:

GrnThumb 07-06-2019 08:36 AM

It’s not a rumor as my stylist at Brownwood Cals told me the same thing about the price increase. I might start going to the new Bellagio at 1562 Bella Cruz Dr between the hospital and Publix.

Marathon Man 07-06-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happinow (Post 1662399)

So, if they no longer offer the less expensive service and you can only buy the more expensive service, do we consider that a price increase?

ColdNoMore 07-06-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villageswimmer (Post 1662420)

:1rotfl:...:1rotfl:

'Direct access to the door?'
:D

villagetinker 07-06-2019 10:30 AM

As for the mens cuts, it appears that the time allowed for a cut was shortened, from 15 minutes to 10 minutes, I may be wrong, this is just an observation from my last 2 visits.

OrangeBlossomBaby 07-06-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1662499)
As for the mens cuts, it appears that the time allowed for a cut was shortened, from 15 minutes to 10 minutes, I may be wrong, this is just an observation from my last 2 visits.

So if they get to 10 minutes and they're not finished yet, what happens? Do they send you out with 3/4 of a haircut and make you pay the full price? Or do they charge for each minute over 10? Who's responsible if the stylist is just lagging and slow that day - maybe they didn't have their latte that morning or something.

Dan9871 07-06-2019 10:54 AM

The management at Cal's has been pressuring the barbers to meet a tight schedule for quite a while now. A barber at Cal's I went to never met the time criterion they wanted but I never had to pay extra. He finally left Cal's. I still go to him.

pooh 07-06-2019 11:10 AM

I’ve been going to Cal’s for almost 13 years....and prices have increased. I go to the shop in LSL. There it’s just haircuts....dry or with the spray bottle. Don’t believe they do shampoos so we may not see an increase in pricing. Coming from CA, even at what is charged today, I still pay less than I did in CA. It’s something we as individuals do, compare things, events, prices, to what we had before moving to this area.....time passes, prices go up and maybe some of what we remember, has also changed. Might you consider a different Cal’s? Personally I prefer not to have a shampoo....tough on the neck.

Nucky 07-06-2019 11:19 AM

Cal's didn't work out too well for me. I asked for an Uncle Fester and the reply was HUH? I said you know a Buzzer at a zero level then shave the entire operation clean. Nope, not interested. I asked why he said it's about time. I offered to pay double and still got a NO!

Cal's worked out great for Mrs. Nucky. What cost her $80 in Jersey was about $18 at Cal's. She ended up following the lady when she went elsewhere because of a showdown with someone at Cal's, I didn't get the details.

CWGUY 07-06-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1662499)

:confused: If it happens on your 3rd. visit ....... maybe ask them. I never would think to time them. I would think the results were more important than the time. :ho:

TheWarriors 07-06-2019 12:35 PM

Women of the Villages rebel and grow your hair long, you might like it ;)and so may your husbands 🥰