Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Championship Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/)
-   -   Course conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/course-conditions-294877/)

59again 07-09-2019 09:32 AM

Course conditions

Just awful. That’s being kind. Keep charging top rate for low rate golf courses. Need to find someone who knows how to grow grass. What’s the deal with 9 inch deep faces in the bunkers. Pros would go nuts they can’t hit out of them , saying not fair and it’s not . We are Seniors We can’t hit those shots , sometimes you can’t even find the ball Ridiculous

alwann 07-09-2019 09:49 AM

Course conditions

They sure ain't in same condition as courses like Streamsong but they're better now than just a few weeks ago. I agree with you about the bunkers, and the routing as well. Most of the layouts were not designed with walkers or seniors in mind.

Bogie Shooter 07-09-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 59again (Post 1663090)
Just awful. That’s being kind. Keep charging top rate for low rate golf courses. Need to find someone who knows how to grow grass. What’s the deal with 9 inch deep faces in the bunkers. Pros would go nuts they can’t hit out of them , saying not fair and it’s not . We are Seniors We can’t hit those shots , sometimes you can’t even find the ball Ridiculous

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...t=golf+courses

tophcfa 07-09-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1663092)
They sure ain't in same condition as courses like Streamsong but they're better now than just a few weeks ago. I agree with you about the bunkers, and the routing as well. Most of the layouts were not designed with walkers or seniors in mind.

I disagree, the courses were definitely developed with seniors in mind. Let's look at some supporting reasons. Seniors generally don't walk golf courses, so they are not designed for walking. The courses are shorter than up North, and they have many more tee options for players of various ages and talent levels. The landing areas are very generous, not tight fairways. Missing the fairways is not a big deal, no deep rough. Bunkers are rarely in front of the green, but rather on the sides or behind, allowing bump and runs and taking away the need to hit high shots or put backspin on the ball to hold the greens. There are very few uneven lies to stress out sore senior joints. There are very few forced carries, and on holes where there are, there are tee options available that eliminate or minimize risk. Nowhere else have I seen the "friendly tee box" option in the Villages. Most hazards and water are more for show and rarely come into play. They are very lenient about where golfers can drive their carts. Golfers don't even have to replace divots, just simply pour some sand into the digit. And ambassadors frequently stop by to be sure you have plenty of sand and cold water. I could go on, but I think I made my point. Very senior friendly. And every time I play up North vs. in the Villages (always from the white tees), my scorecard proves that the Villages courses are senior friendly.

As far as the sand traps in the Villages, I would say the following. There are lots of them, but the traps generally are only in areas where a golfer would have to hit a pretty bad shot to wind up in one. And besides the fact that many golfers don't bother to rake the traps, the sand itself is generally very good and consistent. Many traps up north are like hitting out of a gravel quarry, not a sand trap. We play friendly golf, so if your ball goes into a trap and winds up in an unraked area, you are allowed to rake and place. However, if you get a fried egg, you must play it.

RtuWngs 07-10-2019 04:58 AM

Does anybody know the reasoning for removing the 150 yard markers from Glenview's Tally Ho course. I have used those markers to estimate distance when beyond or within the posts. Now it will be necessary to search out the markers which will probably result in a slowdown in play. I sure hope The Villages do not remove these posts from other courses.

Bogie Shooter 07-10-2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RtuWngs (Post 1663239)
Does anybody know the reasoning for removing the 150 yard markers from Glenview's Tally Ho course. I have used those markers to estimate distance when beyond or within the posts. Now it will be necessary to search out the markers which will probably result in a slowdown in play. I sure hope The Villages do not remove these posts from other courses.

Glenview Champions 352-753-3345

dewilson58 07-10-2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Specific course(s)???

Haven't met a bunker impossible to get out of.

collie1228 07-10-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Maybe I'm playing completely different courses, or maybe I have a different view of "awful", but I'm finding the championship courses to be in very good shape. In the past ten days I've played Lopez, Cane and Orange Blossom, and all three are in very nice condition. Fairways are lush, the rough not punishing, and the greens are smooth with nice speed. What courses are you complaining about? I don't like the deep faces in bunkers either, but that's golf. I'm more bothered by the lack of respect from other golfers who don't rake the sand.

anothersteve 07-10-2019 07:47 AM

I find the one's that complain about the bunkers are the one's that are in them all the time, and are not good bunker players.
Steve

eyc234 07-10-2019 08:24 AM

Was told by a long time FL resident friend 30 years ago while playing for the first time in FL that there is a lot of sand on courses here. You need to learn how to play out of sand. So this TX boy learned how to play out of sand. High faces on the bunkers could also be the fact that torrential downpours in the afternoon wash sand away. Gravity and water both tend to do that.

tophcfa - great post!!

alwann 07-10-2019 08:25 AM

I don't know your definition of "senior." Perhaps you are more spry than most. Consider Palmer-Cherry Hill. Try walking that one. Arnie would have needed a ladder to climb out of some of those deep bunkers and skates to get around the meandering track. Try walking walking Mangrove with partners that are riding. They'll be finished by the time you get to hole 8 walking from 7. Try walking Escambia. Then again, don't try. It's like the designer forgot a 9th hole was needed and stuck it a quarter mile away from the 8th. My gripe was in regard to the routing of many (not all) courses. From the standpoint of playing the courses, tee to green, yes they are suitable for most seniors. Getting from hole to hole for walkers, however, is a different issue, especially in a community that promotes active fitness for seniors.

kcrazorbackfan 07-10-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RtuWngs (Post 1663239)

Don't know why they were taken down, but you have to be the only person in TV that doesn't have a golf gps or a range finder.

collie1228 07-12-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1663276)
I don't know your definition of "senior." Perhaps you are more spry than most. Consider Palmer-Cherry Hill. Try walking that one. Arnie would have needed a ladder to climb out of some of those deep bunkers and skates to get around the meandering track. Try walking walking Mangrove with partners that are riding. They'll be finished by the time you get to hole 8 walking from 7. Try walking Escambia. Then again, don't try. It's like the designer forgot a 9th hole was needed and stuck it a quarter mile away from the 8th. My gripe was in regard to the routing of many (not all) courses. From the standpoint of playing the courses, tee to green, yes they are suitable for most seniors. Getting from hole to hole for walkers, however, is a different issue, especially in a community that promotes active fitness for seniors.

I totally agree with your Palmer comments. The design of Palmer Legends is really choppy, and would be very difficult for a walker. Apparently they designed the housing developments before the golf courses, and had to fit them in. It's the worst championship course in The Villages.

Marathon Man 07-12-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 1663276)

Quote:

Originally Posted by collie1228 (Post 1663703)
I totally agree with your Palmer comments. The design of Palmer Legends is really choppy, and would be very difficult for a walker. Apparently they designed the housing developments before the golf courses, and had to fit them in. It's the worst championship course in The Villages.

Let's not forget the primary purpose for the land that the courses sit on - storm water control. The design for this had to come first, and it had to be right. So yes, the courses were basically fit in. Also, this is not a community designed around a top quality golf course. There are communities like that. Or courses are good when the condition is good. That's what they are.

Bogie Shooter 07-12-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1663378)
Don't know why they were taken down, but you have to be the only person in TV that doesn't have a golf gps or a range finder.

:ho::1rotfl: