Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Just a general question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/just-general-question-295013/)

Nonni252 07-11-2019 12:35 PM

Just a general question

rjn5656 07-11-2019 12:43 PM

we socialize with people relatively close to our villages or adjacents villages

Two Bills 07-11-2019 01:01 PM

In our cul de sac we talk to nobody from outside.
In fact, our street vigilante patrol recently shot three people from another street who had the temerity too wander into our area. :icon_wink:

fl boomer 07-11-2019 01:21 PM

If you belong to different clubs and organizations or participate in sports, you will find that you have friends all over The Villages!

npwalters 07-11-2019 01:23 PM

The neighborhoods tend to socialize with each other. Most of ours is within 4 or 5 blocks of us. We have a couple of friends in Brownwood and Fenny and it's about 20 minutes by car for us to get there so we only visit them occasionally.

My opinion is that TV is going to become - unofficially - TV North and TV South with the toll road as the divider. I seldom, if ever, need to go down there and after the inevitable commercial build up in that area they will seldom need to come any further north than Brownwood square.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

billethkid 07-11-2019 01:45 PM

Most of the folks we know i.e. neighbors, friends, golf members, differing clubs have a mix of neighborhood "stuff" and mostly other friends from all over The Villages.

Just like back home (where ever). The social common denominators
cross many lines and geography.

DonH57 07-11-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1663566)
Most of the folks we know i.e. neighbors, friends, golf members, differing clubs have a mix of neighborhood "stuff" and mostly other friends from all over The Villages.

Just like back home (where ever). The social common denominators
cross many lines and geography.

Same with us.

villagetinker 07-11-2019 02:58 PM

We have friends both locally (same block) and remotely (miles away), as noted above, as you get into clubs and other entertainment (golf, bowling, pickle ball, etc.) you will develop similar friendships.

Midnight Cowgirl 07-11-2019 03:25 PM

Yes -- what you do, i.e., if you join clubs and play golf -- that will determine where your friends and acquaintances live; they'll be all over the place.

If you aren't a joiner, your sphere of influence will pretty much be close to those who live in your neighborhood.

I have found that once people move to TV, they become inherently lazy.
They don't even want to drive from one Village to another if it's more than a couple of miles.
Could it be because there are too many of those dumb circles??!?

Nonni252 07-11-2019 09:51 PM

thelegges 07-12-2019 02:25 AM

We have friends in all areas of TV. Attending parties, meetings, golf groups, and social events. Since we have moved 3 times we do not consider just our neighborhood our only friend pool.
For us driving a car or cart more than 15 minutes is not a big deal, after all for most you are retired, what’s a 20 minute drive out of your 24 hour day.

JerryLBell 07-12-2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl boomer (Post 1663563)
If you belong to different clubs and organizations or participate in sports, you will find that you have friends all over The Villages!

Though we definitely socialize with our immediate neighbors, what boomer says has proven to be the case with us. We've got friends from the Historic end of The Villages down to Fenney thanks to the different social clubs and activities we are involved in. People who move here seem eager to be friendly (though that may be equally true for anybody moving to any retirement community).

Garywt 07-12-2019 05:01 PM

So far we have only socialized with friend that bought before us. They are somewhat spread out but we cart on over to hang out or meet them at the centers.

Henryk 07-12-2019 05:38 PM

We are very friendly with all of the villa-gers in our villas neighborhood. We are blessed with wonderful neighbors. We meet once monthly for TGIM, which is held at a different home on the first Monday of the month, for apps, chats and wine. Starts at 5:00 p.m. and ends at 6:30. You must take home anything you brought, which makes it so no-hassle. It’s wonderful. On the second Tuesday of the month we meet at the rec center for a catered or potluck meal and entertainment.

Bottom line: our neighbors all care for one another and are aware of what you’re doing. So we’re very close.

Nonni252 07-12-2019 06:30 PM