Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Glassed in lanai (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/glassed-lanai-295130/)

hifred123 07-13-2019 02:04 PM

Glassed in lanai

Hi,

I was wondering why people glassed in their lanai. Is it to be able to add more air conditioned space to your house? Is it expensive to add a bird cage to a lania that has already been glassed in.

Thanks.

Loren

dsnrbec 07-13-2019 02:16 PM

I can’t speak to the birdcage option but I believe most of us enclose them because we get tired of keeping the lanai clean and dry. Also, in our case, we wanted to have extra space for sleeping when the grandkids come.

villagetinker 07-13-2019 02:54 PM

I doubt there will be a significant cost difference for the birdcage if the lanai was enclosed, however, from what I have seen most enclosures result in at least 1/3 reduction in the area this is open. Also, most enclosures seem to have a low wall, not sure if you can get an enclosure with the glass sliders all the way to the floor. The reason is that the lanai floors are NOT level as they are designed with a slope to drain rain water. IMHO, be sure you discuss this with a contractor before you make any decisions.

biker1 07-13-2019 03:26 PM

I have seen sliders on the side walls (with a slope) installed with a shim under the bottom plate to level the sliders and then a decorative cover over the shim. You wind up with a bit of a lip but it appears to be acceptable to those who have them (several neighbors).

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1663989)
I doubt there will be a significant cost difference for the birdcage if the lanai was enclosed, however, from what I have seen most enclosures result in at least 1/3 reduction in the area this is open. Also, most enclosures seem to have a low wall, not sure if you can get an enclosure with the glass sliders all the way to the floor. The reason is that the lanai floors are NOT level as they are designed with a slope to drain rain water. IMHO, be sure you discuss this with a contractor before you make any decisions.

raynan 07-13-2019 03:58 PM

We had Custom WIndows of Leesburg sliding glass panels installed on our lanai in our Gardenia. Our lanai could no be expanded so is not large. We open the stackable sliders to living/dining area and open the siders to the master bedroom. Then put the fans on lanai rotating one way, then the fans in bedroom and living rotating opposite from the lanai ones. This circulates the air conditioning into the lanai without having to get a split mitsubishi ac. Also on a nice day, slide the panels open for 66% opening to outside. We waited 2 years before doing it and the afternoon showers were a pain soaking the furniture in the lanai. Now can use it year round as heat will circulate out there in the winter doing the same procedure.

Toymeister 07-13-2019 05:45 PM

Getting back on topic and answering the OP's questions:

Enclosed Lanai to add more useable space. As far as AC you can add it or circulate AC of the home with fan(s). The fans will almost always work unless it is a hot month and you like it cold.

Fun fact:. Code for AC in Florida is to cool 99% of the cooling hours required. Ah, but the details, the target temp is 75.

That said I would try the fan option first, if cost is a concern.

villagetinker 07-13-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1663996)
I have seen sliders on the side walls (with a slope) installed with a shim under the bottom plate to level the sliders and then a decorative cover over the shim. You wind up with a bit of a lip but it appears to be acceptable to those who have them (several neighbors).

I had not seen that, and our Gardenia has almost a 2 inch drop over the 13 feet width from the house, so that would be quite a set of shims in our case. I actually had to pour a special pad to level the hot tub, 1/2 inch thick close to the house, and about 2 inches thick away from the house, over an 8 foot distance.
The devil is in the details, thanks for the possible option.

New Englander 07-13-2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1663989)

Yes, glass sliders can go all the way to the floor.

jeriteri 07-14-2019 06:56 AM

I think, but not sure, you have to raise the lanai floor to meet the homes existing floor height so it is level onto the lanai.

biker1 07-14-2019 07:12 AM

In general, you don't. There could be some situations where this might be advisable/required to increase the level of the lanai above the surrounding grade. There are a lot of misconceptions out there. Contact the building permits department if you have specific questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeriteri (Post 1664076)
I think, but not sure, you have to raise the lanai floor to meet the homes existing floor height so it is level onto the lanai.

NotGolfer 07-14-2019 07:22 AM

We have a cottage series, built in 2008. We barely ever used the screened lanai...only a few times the 1st year and I'd say hardly ever after that. In 2014 we decided to enclose it and make it a room. It is east facing---the dirt that accumulated was hard to keep up with when it was screened. We decided that the extra room might be nice and it is. We had the floor raised and the original slider was put on the end of the room with a patio outside of that. Think we've sat on the patio---maybe twice. It's just too hot out there (as was the screened lanai). We have slider windows that go to knee-height. Nice when the weather in Spring and Fall allows the windows to be open. The "air" and heated were ducted in to it as well. Haven't ever regretted doing this and hopefully it will increase the value of the house when/if we ever sell it.

LuvtheVillages 07-14-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeriteri (Post 1664076)

Some people choose to raise their lanai floor, but it is not required. We did not. We tiled the lanai floor, for a finished look, but did not raise it. So there is a small step.

Reasons we enclosed our lanai: The dirt and dust, the noise from a nearby road, and so we could use it even if the weather was hot or wet. And it added more space for parties.

graciegirl 07-14-2019 08:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Agree with all statements above. I don't know why it is SO dirty, but it literally needed to be wiped off every couple of days when screened. We are waiting for ONE more pane of glass, but I will show you ours anyway. I have made part of it into a studio to paint and draw and we have a television room there to, with an outside feel. Note the glass to the floor. Even missing one piece of glass it is much more comfortable. We are enjoying it even if it isn't finished yet.

karostay 07-14-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1664036)
Yes, glass sliders can go all the way to the floor.

Where else would the go?

New Englander 07-14-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1664100)
Where else would the go?

Some glassed in lanai's have a knee wall and the glass on top of it.