Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   We need more food trucks (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/we-need-more-food-trucks-295316/)

skyking 07-16-2019 12:07 PM

We need more food trucks

1 Attachment(s)
This I would support. 😁

OrangeBlossomBaby 08-03-2019 08:17 AM

Psst Madelaine Amee over here!

...as we were saying, about food trucks in general in the other thread about lobster rolls:

Food trucks typically kick commercial parking fees and permit fees to the communities in which they are given permission to park and serve their customers.

The ones that are usually exempt are the traditional "canteens" that show up in the parking lots of corporate office buildings, that provide hotdogs, sandwiches, soda, cigarettes, the morning newspaper, etc. But that's because those trucks don't typically park on a public street and the service they provide is exclusive to those at the building where they park, before moving on to the next building in their daily rounds.

Part of the problem with a regular rotation of food trucks AT the town square is the noise. They have to have generators, if they don't have access to the public electric system. Generators are noisy, and the cables connecting to the public electric systems can be dangerous to maneuver around, as a customer.

If you're in the middle of the square (as a pedestrian) and there's one truck on one side of one street, it's not going to be a big deal. But if you're trying to enjoy dinner at the restaurant directly behind where the truck is parked, you're going to want to eat inside.

If there are a dozen food trucks all parked around the square, the generators needed to run them would produce a lot of noise. In a carnival atmosphere it's not a big deal, it's expected.

If you had a "food truck night" once every other week, at each square, that might work great. You could even coordinate it to run the same time as vendor days, so the square is closed to traffic anyway. You could move the vendors that have only tables, tarps, and chairs for equipment, onto the squares themselves. And that would leave plenty of room for trucks on the curbside of the inner square - which would also mean no food trucks parked directly in front of any restaurant.

You could invite popular trucks to come as part of a regular schedule, and have "featured trucks" rotate in and out of the schedule. This gives everyone a chance to try new things each time, while still being able to enjoy the "same old" that they know and love.

Bogie Shooter 08-03-2019 10:22 AM

I’m betting all the restaurants on the squares would love to have food trucks parked at their curbs.
:confused:

golf2140 08-03-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1669673)
I’m betting all the restaurants on the squares would love to have food trucks parked at their curbs.

:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow:

jgm3279 08-03-2019 10:30 AM

Doesn't Mt. Dora have a food truck night, maybe weekly?

Aces4 08-03-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1669673)

You know, I don’t think it would be a problem, Bogie. There are some people who wouldn’t think of dining at a food truck and the restaurants will always be busy. Some generator noise would need to be taken into consideration when planning.

JSR22 08-03-2019 01:09 PM

I agree with Bogie. Restaurant owners are not looking for additional competition.

Aces4 08-03-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1669733)
I agree with Bogie. Restaurant owners are not looking for additional competition.

I disagree, competition is good and there are plenty of people who won’t eat at a food truck.

On the other hand, the restaurants may not want to deal with the food truck snobs either.:shocked:

Madelaine Amee 08-03-2019 01:29 PM

Could always put food trucks out in the parking lots. There is a lot of room at LSL for a couple, or three even :icon_wink:.

anothersteve 08-03-2019 01:45 PM

I always thought a couple of hot dog vendors selling Sabrett's or Nathans at each of the Squares would be awesome. I think they would do quite well.
Steve

retiredguy123 08-03-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 1669733)

I totally agree. This has been an issue around the country for many years. Restaurant owners do not want a food truck parked anywhere near their restaurant.

CWGUY 08-03-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1669744)
I always thought a couple of hot dog vendors selling Sabrett's or Nathans at each of the Squares would be awesome. I think they would do quite well.
Steve

:) You've never seen a hot dog vendor on a Square? :ohdear:

CWGUY 08-03-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1669636)
...as we were saying, about food trucks in general in the other thread about lobster rolls:

Food trucks typically kick commercial parking fees and permit fees to the communities in which they are given permission to park and serve their customers.

The ones that are usually exempt are the traditional "canteens" that show up in the parking lots of corporate office buildings, that provide hotdogs, sandwiches, soda, cigarettes, the morning newspaper, etc. But that's because those trucks don't typically park on a public street and the service they provide is exclusive to those at the building where they park, before moving on to the next building in their daily rounds.

Part of the problem with a regular rotation of food trucks AT the town square is the noise. They have to have generators, if they don't have access to the public electric system. Generators are noisy, and the cables connecting to the public electric systems can be dangerous to maneuver around, as a customer.

If you're in the middle of the square (as a pedestrian) and there's one truck on one side of one street, it's not going to be a big deal. But if you're trying to enjoy dinner at the restaurant directly behind where the truck is parked, you're going to want to eat inside.

If there are a dozen food trucks all parked around the square, the generators needed to run them would produce a lot of noise. In a carnival atmosphere it's not a big deal, it's expected.

If you had a "food truck night" once every other week, at each square, that might work great. You could even coordinate it to run the same time as vendor days, so the square is closed to traffic anyway. You could move the vendors that have only tables, tarps, and chairs for equipment, onto the squares themselves. And that would leave plenty of room for trucks on the curbside of the inner square - which would also mean no food trucks parked directly in front of any restaurant.

You could invite popular trucks to come as part of a regular schedule, and have "featured trucks" rotate in and out of the schedule. This gives everyone a chance to try new things each time, while still being able to enjoy the "same old" that they know and love.

:ohdear:
Squares are NOT closed on Vendor Nights!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aces4 (Post 1669724)
You know, I don’t think it would be a problem, Bogie. There are some people who wouldn’t think of dining at a food truck and the restaurants will always be busy. Some generator noise would need to be taken into consideration when planning.

:ohdear: Almost ever vendor uses a generator on the Squares on Vendor Nights!

:confused: Where do you people live? :popcorn:

anothersteve 08-03-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWGUY (Post 1669746)
:) You've never seen a hot dog vendor on a Square? :ohdear:

Truthfully no. Not on a regular basis, and not at Spanish Springs
Steve

CWGUY 08-03-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1669751)
Truthfully no. Not on a regular basis, and not at Spanish Springs
Steve

:) Not on a regular basis but I have at S.S. and L.S.L. :ho: