Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Internet (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/internet-295394/)

PennBF 07-18-2019 09:22 AM

Internet

Would appreciate input regarding the Internet you use and how happy you are with it or unhappy with it. Currently have Comcast and they are trying to increase the monthly rate by 62%. Had them for TV one time and you had to watch your bill each month as they were constantly trying to sneak an increase by you. Finally got fed up and went to Direct TV and could not be happier. That was over 3 or 4 years ago. Was using Comcast only for internet and now I find they are up to their tricks again. I see the alternatives are Century Link, Spectrum, Earth Link, Bright House, are potentially available. Not sure if all are available throughout the Villages. AT&T recommends Century Link. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Polar Bear 07-18-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PennBF (Post 1665140)
Would appreciate input regarding the Internet you use and how happy you are with it or unhappy with it. Currently have Comcast and they are trying to increase the monthly rate by 62%. Had them for TV one time and you had to watch your bill each month as they were constantly trying to sneak an increase by you. Finally got fed up and went to Direct TV and could not be happier. That was over 3 or 4 years ago. Was using Comcast only for internet and now I find they are up to their tricks again. I see the alternatives are Century Link, Spectrum, Earth Link, Bright House, are potentially available. Not sure if all are available throughout the Villages. AT&T recommends Century Link. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Have been pleased for five years with Comcast. All the companies try the same tricks to raise your rates.

JoMar 07-18-2019 09:53 AM

Have had Spectrum for five years and have had no issues in performance. Spectrum is a no contract service so can leave whenever and their customer service is great, their agents can make and implement decisions.

ColdNoMore 07-18-2019 10:06 AM

Another Comcast customer here (7 years), who has had no major issues/complaints...and isn't looking to change. :shrug:

dewilson58 07-18-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1665151)
Have had Spectrum for five years and have had no issues in performance. Spectrum is a no contract service so can leave whenever and their customer service is great, their agents can make and implement decisions.

Another Spectrum fan.........not available in all areas.

Bogie Shooter 07-18-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Try going down to the Comcast store on 441, they have been a big help in the past. It is so much easier talking to some face to face than over the phone.

ureout 07-18-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

I've had century link for about 18 mos. never had an outage or slow down.. I have 80 mbps with pre-pay $45 a month "for life" I like that very year I don't have a hassle with them raising the rates

PennBF 07-18-2019 10:56 AM

Follow up

Just as clarification I had been a Comcast internet customer for many years. Was told many years ago that if I consented to paperless billing my monthly rate would be XXX. After many years they have said that was only temp rate. Now increasing approximately 62%. I feel foolish that I have been "taken" again by them.How many have had "temp rates" that went for 6-10 years?:ohdear:

Chi-Town 07-18-2019 11:00 AM

Had Comcast up north, and it was beyond terrible. Have it now here and pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pinball wizard 07-18-2019 11:15 AM

Negotiate!

For either Internet service or Cable/Sat. TV, you MUST negotiate with them at the end of your contract. Some companies have what they call 'customer retention' agents. These people appear to have more leeway in "adjusting" your price. I have Comcast only for internet and I'm paying $49 for 150 Mbps. FWIW, I have DirecTV, Choice package, $61.83.

Some may have better pricing but this was what I could negotiate at the end of my last promotion.