Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Pod delivery (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/pod-delivery-295514/)

Hifred 07-20-2019 11:37 AM

Pod delivery

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with PODS (or pod-like moving and storage)? Does the interior heat of the pod get high enough to damage pictures and televisions during transport over long distances or storage in non-climate controlled pod warehouses? I don't know if it would be the same experience as a traditional moving van. I think the fall months would be the best time (temperature wise) to ship from the the north down to the south with either method chosen.

Thanks.

Loren

Midnight Cowgirl 07-20-2019 12:10 PM

The real key in answering your question is how long are your belongings going to be in a pod/container/cube?
Most pods are not stored in a climate-controlled setting. Usually, the humidity is more of an issue than the heat (except I've had candles melted!).
I've had pictures stored for up to a couple of months with no problem or damage and no problem whatsoever with TVs.
One of the real keys is to wrap furniture and fragile items in moving blankets and pack each pod so tightly that nothing could possibly move or shift.
Just be REAL careful when you open the doors at your arrival destination!
Harbor Freight is one of the more inexpensive places to buy blankets unless you can find someone selling them.
Any questions? I can probably answer them. I've been there and done that!

Joeg180 07-20-2019 10:45 PM

I just moved a POD in June. I didn’t have any pictures or televisions on this trip. Using ratchet straps to secure the contents worked perfectly. The transit time can vary depending on your point of origin. In our case our transit time was 9 days from Albany, NY to TV.

It was fairly easy, we were given updates during the transit. Delivery/pickup of the POD was a breeze. We had the POD for less than 30 days, we completed our loading transit and removal within the monthly charge period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nucky 07-20-2019 11:14 PM

I can tell you for certain. My experience has been the greatest with PODS. Terrible with Pack Rat and Horrendouse with U-haul. Even if it costs a couple of bucks more PODS is the way to go.

Electronics must be thoughtfully packed and any Art would have come with us in our Van Ride Down here.

Call PODS and ask for the long term storage specifics when your unit arrives in Florida. I believe it was Indoors and Climate Controlled but it was a while back so best to call them. You will know straight away they are the company to deal with. Very Professional.