Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Fresh Market Swindle Returns (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/fresh-market-swindle-returns-295556/)

Sensei 07-21-2019 08:54 AM

Fresh Market Swindle Returns

2 Attachment(s)
Once again, Fresh Market is selling steaks marked as the expensive, Porterhouse steaks. However these items are actually the lesser quality T-bone steaks. Despite the fact that I have spoken with the meat cutters, the manager of the store as well as corporate executives the swindle continues.
The photos attached are clear.
Here is a brief description of the USDA specifications.
While it’s true that T-bones and porterhouses are cut from the same section of the cattle, the short loin, and both hold the same kinds of meat, the NY strip and the tenderloin filet, the USDA has strict rules about how much meat belongs on a porterhouse or T-bone.

For a T-bone steak to qualify as a porterhouse, the filet is required to be at least 1.25 inches thick. Thickness is measured from the bone to the widest point on the filet. Porterhouses comes from the rear of the short loin, where the tenderloin is thickest. The result is an incredibly hefty cut of steak. Many porterhouses weigh in the range of 24 ounces and are served at steakhouses as meals for two.

…But a T-Bone Isn’t a Porterhouse
If a T-bone’s filet falls short of the 1.25-inch mark, it can only be labelled as a T-bone steak. It is important to note that a T-bone’s filet must be at least 0.25 inches thick in order to be sold as a T-bone. Otherwise, it might just be sold as a bone-in NY Strip or a “Club” steak.
john f. Johnston

dewilson58 07-21-2019 09:01 AM

The good thing is............they are not charging Porterhouse prices. $10/lbs is fair for a T-Bone.

:shrug:

BobnBev 07-21-2019 09:04 AM

I always thought a steak was a steak was a steak. Now I feel smarter, but I will most likely forget what I learned this morning.:ohdear:

Have you forwarded this to the USDA? If not, then do it.:ho:

Midnight Cowgirl 07-21-2019 01:17 PM

Sensei -- I don't happen to buy either of those two cuts of beef, but I was wondering what the difference in price is.
That's just a curiosity question.

Regardless of what the price is and what another poster has said, it doesn't matter if $10.00 a pound is a good price; regardless of whatever the going price is, what they are doing is just WRONG!

You should post the comment you've made on other social media such as Facebook and even Yelp.
Let others outside of our sphere here know what they are doing.

patfla06 07-21-2019 02:07 PM

Fresh Market has deteriorated ever since it was bought
by Private Equity firm.

OpusX1 07-21-2019 02:59 PM

OP is correct. I have seen FM porterhouses and I laugh and just don’t buy them. We buy filet mignon mostly. They do have a good deal when you can buy a whole prime tenderloin and have them cut and wrap it. Depending on the size you get around 9, 10 ounce cuts and some excellent stir fry meat. The prime filets cut from the whole tenderloin average about $6 each plus you get two chateaubriands’ center cuts.

manaboutown 07-21-2019 03:52 PM

At least they are not trying to pass off el cheapo chuck steak (pot roast) as Porterhouse...or are they?

karostay 07-21-2019 04:01 PM

Quick call Dan Newlin

CWGUY 07-21-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 1666121)
Quick call Dan Newlin

When ever I see one of Dan's billboards I always think it sure would be nice to rent the one next to it and put up a sign that says "And that folks is one reason your Insurance bills are so high"! :boom:

dewilson58 07-21-2019 04:29 PM

According to the OP, the difference is thickness.

So size does matter I guess.

CWGUY 07-21-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1666137)

:shocked::faint::ohdear:

Nucky 07-21-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1666137)

I thought you had to account for SHRINKAGE? NO? Can't remember where I heard this? :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Topspinmo 07-21-2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1666110)
At least they are not trying to pass off el cheapo chuck steak (pot roast) as Porterhouse...or are they?

Steak without the bone at less than half price, depending on the cut taste just as good if know how to cook it. I really don’t like paying 10 bucks pound for bone.

JoMar 07-21-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1666157)
I thought you had to account for SHRINKAGE? NO? Can't remember where I heard this? :1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Seinfeld...:)

dewilson58 07-21-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1666157)

Have you been talking to my Bride again?!?!?!?

:faint: