Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   How often do you Eat at a Restaurant (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/how-often-do-you-eat-restaurant-296186/)

thelegges 08-03-2019 09:44 AM

How often do you Eat at a Restaurant

My question is how often do you eat at a sitdown restaurant. Not fast food. Cost is not the question. We have always had available our own produce, meat, and at better quality than at eating out.

We have more time, to cook, it is rare that we eat out more than twice a month. Then, we usually eat Due to friends asking us to join, or I’m just not gonna make that dish at home. Grocery is not an issue, most is delivered to our front door.

I am wondering because, one thing that posters bring up about the new area is there’s only one restaurant. Those who live there don’t seem to have a problem with it, or driving to a restaurant that they want to eat at.

So those who are not in favor of the newest areas due to lack of restaurants, and connectivity, do you eat multiple times a week, that the new area would impact on you having to drive elsewhere. Or is it the lack of security of not having 10 restaurants by golf cart or car within 5 minutes of your home.

We are looking at a possible forth move, and really like the trails, with a more tranquil vibe. I have as of yet met a person who lives in newly built villages to be unhappy, but just as excited to be enjoying life in TV just as much as any new resident, when they bought in the early concept of pre SS, LSL or Brownwood.

graciegirl 08-03-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 1669658)
My question is how often do you eat at a sitdown restaurant. Not fast food. Cost is not the question. We have always had available our own produce, meat, and at better quality than at eating out.

We have more time, to cook, it is rare that we eat out more than twice a month. Then, we usually eat Due to friends asking us to join, or I’m just not gonna make that dish at home. Grocery is not an issue, most is delivered to our front door.

I am wondering because, one thing that posters bring up about the new area is there’s only one restaurant. Those who live there don’t seem to have a problem with it, or driving to a restaurant that they want to eat at.

So those who are not in favor of the newest areas due to lack of restaurants, and connectivity, do you eat multiple times a week, that the new area would impact on you having to drive elsewhere. Or is it the lack of security of not having 10 restaurants by golf cart or car within 5 minutes of your home.

We are looking at a possible forth move, and really like the trails, with a more tranquil vibe. I have as of yet met a person who lives in newly built villages to be unhappy, but just as excited to be enjoying life in TV just as much as any new resident, when they bought in the early concept of pre SS, LSL or Brownwood.

We eat at restaurants once a week on average. I like to cook and feel I have more control over choosing healthy and yummy things when I cook. Henry does eat lunch after golf four days a week.

I don't think people really diss the new areas for any other reason other than they are jealous of people moving to The Villages because they cannot at this time, or they are just misinformed. It is as beautiful in the far south area of The Villages as it is any place else in The Villages.. Some folks cannot utter positive words about ANYTHING.

Good morning. Hope you find just the perfect place for your new home. We are in our second home in The Villages and love it.

GrumpyOldMan 08-03-2019 10:32 AM

Seldom, we normally cook, ferment, bake whatever. Occasionally when we are out all day we will stop and get a salad at Moe's or Subway. When we move into TV in Sept or Oct we expect to start eating out (sit down) around once per week. At least that is what we put into the budget.

valuemkt 08-03-2019 11:03 AM

Very Often

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 1669658)

We currently live in what I call the "magic rectangle" between 466 and 466A, equidistant from Sumter and Brownwood. If you count lunches and dinners, we probably eat out between 5 and 10 times per week. At the squares and at the country clubs . There are some we regularly patron, and some we havent tried yet.

AND, we are planning to move south of the border (44).. We are recently relocated from Atlanta, having put up with the traffic jams for 20 years. There are still not enough cars in the Villages to make a good traffic jam, so we can get anywhere from anyplace in a few minutes. So, while I'm not happy that it may take an extra 5 or 7 minutes to get someplace to eat, that wasnt enough to preclude our anticipated move.

Carla B 08-03-2019 11:28 AM

We don't mind driving 10 to 15 minutes to a restaurant but don't want a grocery store located over 2-3 miles away. One time we looked at housing at Burnt Store Marina in SW Florida until we found out that the closest grocery store was 9 miles away. A deal killer. Harbor Hills near TV is lovely, but no grocery store nearby.

Chatbrat 08-03-2019 12:39 PM

We are eating out, less & less--we used to go to the Cane @ least once a week, Arnold Palmer @ least once a week & the Bonefish every other week--

We are now limited to Arnold Palmer, The Blufin for a Sun brunch & Bonefish when we get the yen for a not run of the mill CC food

Cooking way more @ home-- the lack of variety & quality in TV, restaurants, has turned us off

Aloha1 08-03-2019 12:51 PM

Probably once a week for dinner rotating between Sakura, Belle Glade, Bluefin, Bonefish. Too Jays when I get a jones for Corned Beef. Never do breakfast out and rarely lunch. I'm the Chef du Jour at home and my wife says she "loves living in a restaurant". Personally I think it's because she doesn't have to cook! :)

JSR22 08-03-2019 01:05 PM

Dinner 3 to 4 times a week. Typically lunch with friends 3 times a week. My husband has lunch after golf 3 times a week. Once in a while if we are out together we have lunch.

Chatbrat 08-03-2019 01:06 PM

Tonight I'm doing turkey legs in a crock pot, with cranberries, sweet potatoes < cranberries, etc--really good--don't go out to eat steak , we get prime ribeyes fromSam's and I can grill them to perfection, the Italian restaurants here don't know from veal Milanese, real Osso Bucco, scungili-, we make pizza @ home -last night we made a shrimp & asparagus pizza-probably coat us more than $25.00--to do @ home
+ we drink a good bottle of wine @ home & don't worry about the drive home

Madelaine Amee 08-03-2019 01:58 PM

Glenview is our "local" and when we first moved here we would be up there several times a week. Loved the lounge, got to know the regulars and the wait staff and really enjoyed it. Rarely go there now with the changes.

I find the weather has totally changed our eating habits. In the summer we live on salads with steak, cheese or fish. We both like different cheeses and you cannot get those in a restaurant, so we eat at home in the summer. In the winter I cook real meals, foods I would not be able to get in a restaurant. So, if we eat out we eat a late breakfast or a late lunch. Works for us.

Number 10 GI 08-03-2019 03:39 PM

On average 3 times a week.

Velvet 08-03-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1669679)
Seldom, we normally cook, ferment, bake whatever. Occasionally when we are out all day we will stop and get a salad at Moe's or Subway. When we move into TV in Sept or Oct we expect to start eating out (sit down) around once per week. At least that is what we put into the budget.

I can’t help myself: Awwww, that woofie on your Avatar is adorable, not looking grumpy at all.

We don’t eat out that often.
I’d say once a week usually.

xkeowner 08-03-2019 07:37 PM

Get out of the bubble!

We eat out for lunch 2-4 times a week and dinner 3-5 times per week. In the nine years and one month we have lived here we have eaten in at least 381 different restaurants, 69 of which are either out of business or under new ownership. The average distance is about 30 miles and ranges from a half mile to Havana CC to almost 100 miles for a handful of places. We have been to 168 of those more than once. There are many restaurants with good to excellent food, atmosphere, views and combinations of those attributes in Orlando, Tampa, Gainesville, and many of the smaller communities around The Villages. Get out and explore the surrounding areas for a change of pace. We probably eat outside The Villages about 65% of the time. The one drawback is you will soon realize what is often stated on here, much of the food here inside the bubble is of decent quality which can be priced for the majority of the audience served.

Fraugoofy 08-03-2019 11:43 PM

We eat out for special occassions or if asked to join in socially. We don't eat out just the two of us. Many reasons for that. Cost, convenience, quality of food in TV, special diet, etc...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

charmed59 08-04-2019 12:47 AM

We tend to eat out for lunch or 3 or 4 times a week. We also go to the market everyday. All of this is done with our golf carts, so the southern section wouldn’t work with our golf cart lifestyle right now. I can see it coming.