Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Closed Yesterday, 8 Months Until Move, Any Suggestions or Tips While We Wait? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/closed-yesterday-8-months-until-move-any-suggestions-tips-while-we-wait-296308/)

MrExcite721 08-06-2019 06:50 AM

Closed Yesterday, 8 Months Until Move, Any Suggestions or Tips While We Wait?

Hello Again TOTV,

We are now homeowners in Marsh Bend on Demarco Drive, across from the Hogeye Preserve. We have met 3 neighbors during the process, really welcoming folks who are also starting their retirement journeys. Our sales rep, Lisa Marie Puccio is fantastic, always keeping our best interests at the front of her efforts.

We did our mortgage through Wells Fargo here in PA, and worked with Peninsula Title Company of Florida for the closing. Everyone worked really hard to make a tight closing deadline the Villages dictates, 30 days after signed intent. If you plan at all to do a mortgage with a bank other than Citizens First in The Villages, be sure your lender can get it done in 30 days, its a huge amount of paperwork for that time frame.

We had given Lisa a punch list of items that were of concern to us, the biggest of which was the yard, it was 3/4 dead grass/sod. We asked that it be repaired prior to closing, and last week the builder removed the old yard and re-sodded the entire property. Very happy with that result so far. They also committed to paying the August water bill as the sprinklers will run each day to assure the sod gets the proper amount of hydration.

We hired Integrity First Services as our home watch, and Dennis Smith has also been very easy to work with in preparing for the transfer of ownership. We are still getting bids for lawn/pest control, Deans Service having bid so far.

We will be down to get some furniture bought and delivered in October as well. I would love to get everyone's suggestions for things I might not have mentioned or thought about that will need to be taken care of remotely, or tips for planning the move in 2020. Please drop a comment below with your thoughts or pointers you have learned through your own experiences, and thank you in advance for your interest !!

John and Nancy

DangeloInspections 08-06-2019 09:42 AM

First, congratulations on your new home!

I know you are not planning on moving here for many months...but you should know that The Villages warranty department expects you to turn in a "punchlist" within 30 days. you said you have done this...very good, as many do not.

Many do not know that some issues are only covered for the first 30 days or so.....ALL screen issues, scratches in sinks, appliances, countertops, mirrors, windows and sliding doors, bathtubs, toilet seats, etc.,etc.

This makes sense, because if there is a large scratch in let's say, your kitchen sink, if you report it and have it on your 30 day list they should take care of it, but 10 months later they can say that the scratch could have easily been caused by your pots and pans, etc. That is reasonable.

Landscaping is also usually only for 30 days.

Many issues, like screw pops, drywall cracks, etc, may not show up for months....so they are reported during your one year warranty inspection. They are common, and The Villages prefer to come out once to fix them all. This is why most folks wait to report those items, because if they find 2-3 we will most likely find more and we include those in our report.

Hope that helps! Again, Congratulations!

Respectfully, Frank D'Angelo, ACI

jimemac48 08-06-2019 10:21 AM

Welcome...Lisa is also my agent i am scheduled to close Sept 10th. I'm currently Renting. I agree Lisa is great to work with. I'm going with a VA loan which can be a challenge but Lisa has kept up with all their requirements excellently.

MrExcite721 08-06-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangeloInspections (Post 1670766)
First, congratulations on your new home!

I know you are not planning on moving here for many months...but you should know that The Villages warranty department expects you to turn in a "punchlist" within 30 days. you said you have done this...very good, as many do not.

Many do not know that some issues are only covered for the first 30 days or so.....ALL screen issues, scratches in sinks, appliances, countertops, mirrors, windows and sliding doors, bathtubs, toilet seats, etc.,etc.

This makes sense, because if there is a large scratch in let's say, your kitchen sink, if you report it and have it on your 30 day list they should take care of it, but 10 months later they can say that the scratch could have easily been caused by your pots and pans, etc. That is reasonable.

Landscaping is also usually only for 30 days.

Many issues, like screw pops, drywall cracks, etc, may not show up for months....so they are reported during your one year warranty inspection. They are common, and The Villages prefer to come out once to fix them all. This is why most folks wait to report those items, because if they find 2-3 we will most likely find more and we include those in our report.

Hope that helps! Again, Congratulations!

Respectfully, Frank D'Angelo, ACI

Thank you Frank, really great information you are sharing !! Our sales rep has stated that when we arrive in October, we will have a 10 day window to create a final punchlist at that time, sort of like getting the keys officially. We will reference your comments to make sure we are inspecting things correctly!

Packer Fan 08-06-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrExcite721 (Post 1670699)
Hello Again TOTV,

We are now homeowners in Marsh Bend on Demarco Drive, across from the Hogeye Preserve. We have met 3 neighbors during the process, really welcoming folks who are also starting their retirement journeys. Our sales rep, Lisa Marie Puccio is fantastic, always keeping our best interests at the front of her efforts.

We did our mortgage through Wells Fargo here in PA, and worked with Peninsula Title Company of Florida for the closing. Everyone worked really hard to make a tight closing deadline the Villages dictates, 30 days after signed intent. If you plan at all to do a mortgage with a bank other than Citizens First in The Villages, be sure your lender can get it done in 30 days, its a huge amount of paperwork for that time frame.

We had given Lisa a punch list of items that were of concern to us, the biggest of which was the yard, it was 3/4 dead grass/sod. We asked that it be repaired prior to closing, and last week the builder removed the old yard and re-sodded the entire property. Very happy with that result so far. They also committed to paying the August water bill as the sprinklers will run each day to assure the sod gets the proper amount of hydration.

We hired Integrity First Services as our home watch, and Dennis Smith has also been very easy to work with in preparing for the transfer of ownership. We are still getting bids for lawn/pest control, Deans Service having bid so far.

We will be down to get some furniture bought and delivered in October as well. I would love to get everyone's suggestions for things I might not have mentioned or thought about that will need to be taken care of remotely, or tips for planning the move in 2020. Please drop a comment below with your thoughts or pointers you have learned through your own experiences, and thank you in advance for your interest !!

John and Nancy

Welcome to TV! Glad you did not pay Citizens first crazy high closing costs. We saved about $3500 when we bought our first house going through Quicken loans.

Lawn Service - I am not going to recommend anyone specific as I just changed. I have watched this for 5 years and here is my take - if you want it done right and don't care what it costs - go with Massey. They may fall down but if you call they will make changes and make it right. They will charge you $130 a month for this though. I would recommend looking for a small family owned company. I pay $55 a month for lawn and $35 a month for weed and pest spraying. They will do good for 3-4 years, but then may slip. Just keep an eye on it.

Furniture - I can not recommend enough - if you want to pay a fortune - stay in TV. If not - go to Showcase Furniture in Mount Dora - they have excellent prices, they can get just about everything, and they will deliver and set up in TV. I have furnished 2 rental homes using them. Of course, you can furnish a hole house rather cheaply by going to all the second hand places - there is some NICE stuff at them. But it takes time.

Get a good home inspection at one year (not recommending anyone, but a certain guy who posted on this thread before me is excellent). MAKE SURE THEY GO ON THE ROOF AND MAKE SURE IT IS 100% SEALED. Then go up yourself and double check. Lots of problems with that in TV.

HVAC- Chuck Farrell
Golf Carts - Carts and Clubs and Todd Casey for service. Go with a YAMAHA. I have owned EZGo and Club car and let me tell you, Yamaha last the longest and are the least problem. Loved my EZGO but it was just not dependable in the long run. As with cars, buy your carts 2 years old, not new. They depreciate.

Sureclean solutions - any type of floor cleaning
Joe Tucker - any Irrigation problems.
Carrie Wildman at the Villages Insurance - for Homeowners you can't beat them - don't know about Auto.

Oh and sign up for villages kart aid - you just never know.

Good luck!

billethkid 08-06-2019 01:31 PM

Unless something changed in the last two weeks, Chuck Farrell is/was not taking on any new customers.

That was 2-3 weeks ago when I wanted him to give me an estimate for replacing HVAC.

I had three companies come out for quotes.
I chose Sunshine. Very competitive...very professional installation...very responsive to any post installation issues/concerns....

Packer Fan 08-07-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1670850)
Unless something changed in the last two weeks, Chuck Farrell is/was not taking on any new customers.

That was 2-3 weeks ago when I wanted him to give me an estimate for replacing HVAC.

I had three companies come out for quotes.
I chose Sunshine. Very competitive...very professional installation...very responsive to any post installation issues/concerns....

Just started using him for yearly tuneups. Might not be taking new installs. Sunshine is fine too, just a lot more expensive for yearly cleaning/checks.

Kahuna32162 08-08-2019 09:02 AM

Just a suggestion, if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the Talk of The Villages home page, you will see a thread called "Nuts and Bolts of The Villages". Lot's of great advice and insite.

Number 10 GI 08-08-2019 10:05 AM

If there is anything you are thinking about changing in the house, paint color, carpet, etc., do it before you have furniture in the house. We didn't have the time to do that before we moved in. Our former home sold so quickly that we had to move out before we planned on and had to move into our house here before we planned. We want to replace the carpet with tile but with furniture that job will become a bigger project and take longer than if the house was empty.

DangeloInspections 08-08-2019 10:19 AM

I might also add that some projects (as #10 GI stated) are easier done right away.

If you are thinking about installing an epoxy coating on your garage floor, or sealing any tile grout, both are typically easier and cheaper to do before items are moved in.

With all the changes folks do, it is not long before you start thinking you bought a "brand new fixer upper"....haha. Enjoy!

Frank

PennBF 08-08-2019 07:50 PM

Verify

If you are going to sign up a contractor, Landscaper, etc. Before a signing up with these or any other business, I recommend calling the Seniors vs Crime Office in Brownwood
and inquire regarding the data, background etc they may have on the specific business you are planning to sign up with. The Brownwood phone number is 352-753-0702. They are open Tuesday-Thursday 10-1PM

ladyarwen3 08-23-2019 10:15 AM

John and Nancy CONGRATULATIONS !!!
We recently purchased a pre-owned home in the village of Glenbrook (its north of 466 and an older home). We used Lisa as well and she was marvelous to work with but we decided on pre-owned and found more to our liking using the MLS. We ended up using Doug Lange from Realty Executives and he is just amazing!!
We also are not moving in until October and are planning on re-painting the interior and adding epoxy to the garage floor ASAP. Dennis and Integrity First is also our home watch guy and he is great. We are using Massey for termites / bugs/ weeds and lawn services. They may cost a little more but they get things right. We plan on furnishing our home from the consignment shops that are everywhere in and around TV. Only planning on moving our bedroom and living room furniture and personal belongings. We will still maintain our house here in NE PA for a year or 2 before its ready to sell. We also will need a golf cart.
I am disappointed that we cannot get FIOS in our area, but i am still researching which internet provider to use. We have Comcast up north andits outrageously pricey.
What part of PA are you coming from??

Lucy Edwards

graciegirl 08-23-2019 10:28 AM

You have ample time to argue about what to get rid of and what to bring with you. I won sometimes but we still have over thirty winteruse jackets belonging to dear husband. He says I kept too much kitchen stuff. lol

It is very hard to get rid of treasures that no one wants.

It will work out. You have made a very good life choice.

Welcome home.

valuemkt 08-23-2019 12:23 PM

Who do you call for the garage epoxy floor ??

DangeloInspections 08-23-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valuemkt (Post 1675476)
Who do you call for the garage epoxy floor ??

We typically recommend Tim Miller for epoxy garage floors....

Frank D.