Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   New Law - Vegetable Home Gardens NOT OK (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/new-law-vegetable-home-gardens-not-ok-296429/)

Bogie Shooter 08-08-2019 10:33 AM

New Law - Vegetable Home Gardens NOT OK

Members of the Amenity Authority Committee learned at their meeting on Wednesday that a new Florida law that permits vegetable gardens in residential front yards won't affect community standards in The Villages. Lewis Stone, the AAC's attorney, said he and Valerie Fuchs, who represents the numbered Village Community Development Districts, concluded deed restrictions that Villagers agreed to in their purchase contract supersedes the new law. (Full report in Thursday August 8, 2019 Daily Sun Section C.Page C-4).

eyc234 08-08-2019 10:57 AM

That is too bad, I would much rather put water on something of value that waste it on a green dog toilet.

graciegirl 08-08-2019 11:38 AM

I am thinking that the issue will be resolved to the status quo. The new Representative Hage has close ties to The Villages and this area.

Florida Representative Brett Thomas Hage (R) | LobbyTools

Chi-Town 08-08-2019 11:43 AM

I never thought the front yard garden was ever going to happen. So now we can stick a fork in it (pun intended).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nucky 08-08-2019 11:49 AM

Sorry to hear that. We Just put in two rows of Corn and one row of Tomatoes. Oh Well! Green Acres Opening and Closing Credits and Theme Song - YouTube :1rotfl: :ho:

Arctic Fox 08-08-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1671415)
...deed restrictions that Villagers agreed to in their purchase contract supersedes the new law.

I suspect that much of what people might choose to plant is not covered by the deed restrictions anyway.

Will have to dig ours out and see what they say.

ColdNoMore 08-08-2019 12:28 PM

There are a LOT of people/entities, "that have the intelligence and the wherewithal"...to hire good legal advice. :oops:

Which is why the legal and court system exists...in the first place. :ohdear:

We will simply have to wait to see...who ultimately prevails. :popcorn:

OrangeBlossomBaby 08-08-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1671463)
I suspect that much of what people might choose to plant is not covered by the deed restrictions anyway.

Will have to dig ours out and see what they say.

Yeah I checked the deed restrictions and community guidelines for my area and didn't see a thing about not being allowed to grow vegetables in the flower bed.

There are height restrictions, border restrictions, decoration restrictions, fencing restrictions, and "exotic" "invasive" and "non-Florida-friendly" restrictions.

So basically if I wanted to grow tomatoes, bananas, raspberries, basil, oregano, rosemary, mint, cabbage, and eggplant, there's nothing in the restrictions saying that I can't. The herbs would have to be in pots since they would be considered "invasive" otherwise.

Mikeod 08-08-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1671436)
Keeping in mind that this is simply an 'opinion' of attorneys paid by Da Family...we shall see, we shall see. :D

Given that the state law arose from extremely similar 'local' circumstances, it will be interesting to watch... the outcome of the first lawsuit.

I'm guessing that Morse's lawyers were confident that they would prevail on another lawsuit, right up until that is...he had to write that $40M check.
:popcorn:

Nope, it’s not just an opinion. The author of the bill, Rep. Hage, confirmed that it is not the intent of the law to affect voluntarily agreed upon restrictions and that the deed restrictions every one signed (except perhaps those on the historic side) fall into that category. He intends to introduce language more specifically addressing that distinction in the next session.

Bogie Shooter 08-08-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1671479)
Yeah I checked the deed restrictions and community guidelines for my area and didn't see a thing about not being allowed to grow vegetables in the flower bed.

There are height restrictions, border restrictions, decoration restrictions, fencing restrictions, and "exotic" "invasive" and "non-Florida-friendly" restrictions.

So basically if I wanted to grow tomatoes, bananas, raspberries, basil, oregano, rosemary, mint, cabbage, and eggplant, there's nothing in the restrictions saying that I can't. The herbs would have to be in pots since they would be considered "invasive" otherwise.

I think in your area there are no restrictions.

eyc234 08-08-2019 03:33 PM

Oh pishaw, deed restrictions, shmeed restrictions. You would have to be turned in by neighbors and if you are feeding them wonderful fresh veggies you probably will not get any complaints. Besides the restrictions do not matter too much, have seen hedges higher and longer than the Great Wall of China. We don't need no stinking money for a wall, we just need some of our outstanding gardeners from TV and all is solve!!!

Nucky 08-08-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1671499)
I think in your area there are no restrictions.

There are some lightly worded restrictions from the Original Days before the founders realized this place was going to get so big.

As bad as some think The Historic Section is decoration wise that is really not true. There is an occasional house that is just unbelievable in its disregard for socially acceptable outdoor decor. I think the lack of "Rules" and the consideration for thy neighbor keeps our Hood Nice.

I asked our next-door neighbor about yard farming together but definitely tastefully and small only in between both houses. Looks like we're in business. Just something for fun. :ho:

There is one house that has a Blue driveway. It is the biggest, ugliest shot at a neighbor I've ever seen anywhere. It has to be a joke. A very bad one, this is the kind of thing that gives us a bad reputation. I'll bet you 98 out of 100 people would agree with me and the other 2 are lying, it's rough. Needs some rows of Corn up the Driveway to cover the view! :ohdear:

OrangeBlossomBaby 08-08-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1671537)
There are some lightly worded restrictions from the Original Days before the founders realized this place was going to get so big.

As bad as some think The Historic Section is decoration wise that is really not true. There is an occasional house that is just unbelievable in its disregard for socially acceptable outdoor decor. I think the lack of "Rules" and the consideration for thy neighbor keeps our Hood Nice.

I asked our next-door neighbor about yard farming together but definitely tastefully and small only in between both houses. Looks like we're in business. Just something for fun. :ho:

There is one house that has a Blue driveway. It is the biggest, ugliest shot at a neighbor I've ever seen anywhere. It has to be a joke. A very bad one, this is the kind of thing that gives us a bad reputation. I'll bet you 98 out of 100 people would agree with me and the other 2 are lying, it's rough. Needs some rows of Corn up the Driveway to cover the view! :ohdear:

Chip in and offer to pay for decorative designs painted in festive magenta on that driveway to break up all that blue! C'mon, have a heart and be a good neighbor!

papasetti82 08-08-2019 07:31 PM

:clap2:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1671537)

I saw that UGLY Blue driveway off of Delmar,at least I hope that's the only one.I would much rather see tomatoes or any vegetable than Plastic windmills and flowers.

Bigben007 08-08-2019 08:14 PM

Oh please, no!! I don't want to live in Green Acres