Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Anyone added another outdoor hose connection? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/anyone-added-another-outdoor-hose-connection-296617/)

EdFNJ 08-11-2019 10:46 AM

Anyone added another outdoor hose connection?

We have a 2/2 Colony and the hose connection is on the garage wall by the front door. It’s a PITA dragging a hose (50+ feet) around the lanai on the side over to the patio when I need it then rolling it back up even with the battery powered electric hose reel since it goes through shrubs.

Our Master Bath is against the patio wall. Was thinking I could tap into the water line that goes to the toilet which is probably a 3’ straighten run to the outside right over the patio. Seems (relatively) simple. Would have to cut a chunk of wallboard from behind the toilet and push pipe out the wall then replace the wallboard. LOL sounds simple. :)

Anyone ever done this or similar or had it done? Current hose location is great if you want to wash a car but not much else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

graciegirl 08-11-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1672242)
We have a 2/2 Colony and the hose connection is on the garage wall by the front door. It’s a PITA dragging a hose (50+ feet) around the lanai on the side over to the patio when I need it then rolling it back up even with the battery powered electric hose reel since it goes through shrubs.

Our Master Bath is against the patio wall. Was thinking I could tap into the water line that goes to the toilet which is probably a 3’ straighten run to the outside right over the patio. Seems (relatively) simple. Would have to cut a chunk of wallboard from behind the toilet and push pipe out the wall then replace the wallboard. LOL sounds simple. :)

Anyone ever done this or similar or had it done? Current hose location is great if you want to wash a car but not much else.

Yes. We added three more in the birdcage and I just enjoyed myself washing out all of the organisms that build up in the cracks of the concrete. Nothing pleases a sixties housewife more to chase dirt and find it. It satisfies inner needs as well as practical ones. lol

EdFNJ 08-11-2019 10:59 AM

Anyone added another outdoor hose connection?

3! You must have one heck of a big bird! Bald Eagle or maybe a large prehistoric pigeon? Who cleans the cage?

villagetinker 08-11-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

You can probably do this, IMHO, be sure to use a good quality metal hose bib, and add the reverse flow valve (required by law, I believe). Make sure the hose bib is securely attached to the house and not being supported by the plastic pipe, one good hard twist or pull on the hose and you could have a flood.
Several neighbors just used a Y adapter, buried water pipe outside the house to the new location, and installed a suitable hose bib. This works well if you have grass or garden the whole way , but not if you have to cross walkway or drive way.

retiredguy123 08-11-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

It seems strange that you only have one hose bibb. The two bedroom courtyard villas have a hose bibb next to the garage and also one in the back yard near the screened lanai. I thought it was standard to have at least two hose bibbs.

CWGUY 08-11-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1672259)
It seems strange that you only have one hose bibb. The two bedroom courtyard villas have a hose bibb next to the garage and also one in the back yard near the screened lanai. I thought it was standard to have at least two hose bibbs.

:) My 2/2 CYV has 3 hose bibs...... a 2/2 Colony is a Patio Villa and I don't know about them. :ho:

Chatbrat 08-11-2019 12:29 PM

We added one on the inside of our garage, close to the door really handy for washing the front of the cars during love bug season--this way we don't have to drag a hose around shrubs

EdFNJ 08-11-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

It's not a CYV, it's a Colony (actually called "About Time"). All homes here have only one that I have looked at and some have on side (but not lanai/patio Side) and a couple like mine. Definitely weird. Ours is directly next to main water shutoff in garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdFNJ 08-11-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1672248)

Several neighbors just used a Y adapter, buried water pipe outside the house to the new location, and installed a suitable hose bib. This works well if you have grass or garden the whole way , but not if you have to cross walkway or drive way.

Would need about 75 feet of pipe and dynamite for 15 ft of sidewalk. :D

New Englander 08-11-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

I had a colony patio villa and it only had one hose connection outside next to the garage just like the OP.

tophcfa 08-11-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1672248)
You can probably do this, IMHO, be sure to use a good quality metal hose bib, and add the reverse flow valve (required by law, I believe). Make sure the hose bib is securely attached to the house and not being supported by the plastic pipe, one good hard twist or pull on the hose and you could have a flood.

Agree with the above post, very doable DIY project. I would add that this is a great plumbing project to use a pex water line extension to your existing plumbing. You will need a pex tubing crimping tool and some crimping clamps, a short piece of pex tubing, and a T shaped shark bite plumbing connector.

Once gaining access to your existing water line, cut the copper pipe and add the appropriate size shark bite T shaped plumbing connector. You this will re-establish your existing cold water line and you can put a piece of pex tubing on the other portion of the T shaped shark bite, no sweating of pipes necessary. You can then crimp the other end of the pex tubing onto the hose bib and attach it securely to your home. Again, no pipe sweating necessary. All parts are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased at Lowel's or The Home Depot. And an added benefit is that you will now have the crimping tool for future projects.

If I was currently at the Villages and not at our home up North, I would be happy to bring over my crimping tool and help you out. Good luck.

EdFNJ 08-11-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1672395)
Agree with the above post, very doable DIY project. I would add that this is a great plumbing project to use a pex water line extension to your existing plumbing. You will need a pex tubing crimping tool and some crimping clamps, a short piece of pex tubing, and a T shaped shark bite plumbing connector.

Once gaining access to your existing water line, cut the copper pipe and add the appropriate size shark bite T shaped plumbing connector. You this will re-establish your existing cold water line and you can put a piece of pex tubing on the other portion of the T shaped shark bite, no sweating of pipes necessary. You can then crimp the other end of the pex tubing onto the hose bib and attach it securely to your home. Again, no pipe sweating necessary. All parts are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased at Lowel's or The Home Depot. And an added benefit is that you will now have the crimping tool for future projects.

If I was currently at the Villages and not at our home up North, I would be happy to bring over my crimping tool and help you out. Good luck.

Copper pipe? I thought it was all plastic here! Main water line in garage is. When I left NJ I got rid of all my tools I used for the copper plumbing stuff I did in our 65yr old home.

In my mind the toughest part (if it is plastic) would be replacing the removed wallboard behind the toilet to get access to the pipes (probably have to remove at least the toilet tank). I have all the stuff for pvc/cpvc.

Thank you for your offer though, it is appreciated.

Garywt 08-13-2019 10:42 AM

Our Villa has the 2, one outside the fence next to the garage and one inside the fence next to the lanai. It sounds like and easy job but if you are not sure, hire a plumber to do it for you, probably take an hour tops.

mulligan 08-14-2019 07:43 AM

It's all CPVC plumbing, so no copper except right on the water heater.

EdFNJ 08-14-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1673165)
It's all CPVC plumbing, so no copper except right on the water heater.

That's what I thought. Thanks. Should be a relatively easy DIY then.