Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   painted driveways (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/painted-driveways-29678/)

philnpat 06-09-2010 03:01 PM

painted driveways

I like the looks of the painted driveways in TV...but...
Our home is almost 4 yrs old. Are older driveways able to be painted and/or stained?
Are patterns and designs only done with painted driveways or can stain be used?
Does the finish on the driveway make it slippery when it's wet?:confused:

Ooper 06-09-2010 03:17 PM

From my experience... older drives can be painted or stained. Ours was 3 or 4 years old when we had ours done. Most driveways are stained. They are first treated with an acid to clean them and then stained. Be sure to have them coated afterward, however, because gasolie or oil will make it run if not sealed. The surface may get just a tad more slippery when wet but not enough to cause you to slip and fall. The texture of the concrete is still there after the staining or painting has been completed.

pooh 06-09-2010 03:22 PM

Our driveway is painted. It was about two years old when it was done. There is still texture, BUT when it is wet and I have on certain shoes, it is slippery. My driveway slopes and I think that makes it more of a problem than a flat one. If you decide, be careful with Crocs and some athletic shoes.

getdul981 06-09-2010 03:33 PM

Could they not put some sand in the paint to give it some gripping power?

Ooper 06-09-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdul981 (Post 268980)

That might be OK for a year or so but I think it would wear off fairly quickly.

getdul981 06-09-2010 03:43 PM

Oh, ok.

pooh 06-09-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getdul981 (Post 268980)

For our driveway, there was extra "gripping" whatever added, but the paint is an epoxy paint and when it's wet, my Crocs can slip. Again, my driveway is sloped and I think that contributes to the "slide" factor.

Still, I love the looks of my driveway and when it's wet, I remember NOT to wear my Crocs or that one pair of athletic shoes that have soles that are slippery when wet.

zcaveman 06-09-2010 07:27 PM

My driveway was painted and it slopes and I have never slipped on it. Maybe the people who put down your driveway used the wrong materials or did not finish sealing it properly. I would check.

pooh 06-09-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman (Post 269050)
My driveway was painted and it slopes and I have never slipped on it. Maybe the people who put down your driveway used the wrong materials or did not finish sealing it properly. I would check.

It's only with certain shoes zcaveman, and with those same shoes, I can slip in the garage when the floor is wet. Has something to do with the soles of the shoes.
The driveway has been resealed and was just again resealed. Don't have problems with other shoes, just those two pair. Just wanted others to be aware that there could be the potential for slips if their shoes have the same type of soles that my Croc type shoes and my Easy Spirit anti-gravity white athletic shoes have. (It's like I can hydroplane... ;) )

Barefoot 06-25-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philnpat (Post 268966)
I like the looks of the painted driveways in TV...but...
Our home is almost 4 yrs old. Are older driveways able to be painted and/or stained?
Are patterns and designs only done with painted driveways or can stain be used?
Does the finish on the driveway make it slippery when it's wet?:confused:

Yes.