Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Crazy or Death Wish (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/crazy-death-wish-296810/)

Bosoxfan 08-13-2019 06:29 PM

Crazy or Death Wish

Misses Bosox and I are sitting in our lanai looking over a couple holes on the Longleaf executive golf course watching lightning bolts and listening to thunder. Guess what else we're seeing? People playing golf.Is this a death wish? Do these folks like playing Russian roulette also? Come on. I'm just baffled with the sheer ignorance of people some time. It's an executive course.The most these people pay is 3 bucks. Lets's all pray we don't read about these fools in the obits

C4Boston 08-13-2019 06:32 PM

Can't fix stupid

Polar Bear 08-13-2019 06:52 PM

During the lighting storm, they just need to use a 2-iron for every shot. Cause as every golfer knows...

Not even God can hit a 2-iron. :)

TheWarriors 08-13-2019 06:55 PM

Awe, everyday in the Villages is a risk for everyone here, never know when God’s coming calling ;)

vintageogauge 08-13-2019 07:04 PM

Could be filming a re-make of Caddy Shack.

Barefoot 08-13-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWarriors (Post 1673088)
Everyday in the Villages is a risk for everyone here, never know when God’s coming calling

True, but golfing in a lightening storm increases the odds that God will be calling soon.

Bjeanj 08-13-2019 08:20 PM

Darwin’s Law

kcrazorbackfan 08-13-2019 08:48 PM

It’s just a matter of time.

tophcfa 08-13-2019 09:30 PM

I was swimming laps in one of the sports pools when I saw a too close for comfort lightning strike and immediately got out of the pool. There were only two of us in the pool, so I went over and told the other gentleman in the pool that it would be a good idea to get out because it wasn't safe. He told me that he was 92 years old and if that is how God wanted to take him then so be it, and he stayed in the pool. I guess that if I am lucky enough to reach the age of 92 I might think the same way? Time will tell.

Northwoods 08-13-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 1673075)
Misses Bosox and I are sitting in our lanai looking over a couple holes on the Longleaf executive golf course watching lightning bolts and listening to thunder. Guess what else we're seeing? People playing golf.Is this a death wish? Do these folks like playing Russian roulette also? Come on. I'm just baffled with the sheer ignorance of people some time. It's an executive course.The most these people pay is 3 bucks. Lets's all pray we don't read about these fools in the obits

Thinning of the herd.

manaboutown 08-13-2019 11:41 PM

Back in the late 1960s I knew well a guy from Rhode Island who told me his father had survived three lightning strikes. The third left his father paralyzed and in a wheelchair until a craps game at which the father was in attendance at the ice house was broken up by the police at which point the father stood up and ran. My friend himself had been struck by lightning in Soho. He showed me the scars on his leg which were quite impressive and told me that he had been unconscious for some time after the strike Perhaps some folks are just more prone. I also knew an old cowhand who was hit by lightning while on horseback near Chama, NM. He was unconscious lying on the ground three days. He was a very tough guy even in his 70s when I knew him. Now these were probably not full hits but peripheral or they each would have been volatilized.

While in college I lifeguarded at a swimming pool which was hit on one end three times. The strikes were all within a six foot radius. I alway got everyone out of the pool when the afternoon thunderstorms arrived during July and August. Some people did not want to get out but I somehow convinced them when I pointed out where the lightning had struck the pool in the past.

thelegges 08-14-2019 03:04 AM

Neither, while most will leave a course at first sight or sound of thunder and lightning. It’s still a personal choice, and only those who chose not to leave, can decide if they are crazy or really might have a death wish.

rjn5656 08-14-2019 03:46 AM

I was playing Bonifay last night when we saw the lightning (it was close), Immediately quit but all those in front of us kept playing.

I can play another day.

l2ridehd 08-14-2019 06:20 AM

Growing up we lived at the convergence of two rivers. The thunderstorms would follow those rivers and stop right over our house. I have seen balls of fire go across the room, had fence posts blown from the ground so close the dirt covered me, was trying to get the cows in and saw one get hit, had a crab apple tree hit while standing under it and have never had so much as a scratch or tingle myself.

I think you get to the point where you become immune to it. I have come so much closer to meeting my maker in airplanes, on highways, on motorcycles, sailing, in Vietnam and in other ways that lighting just doesn't bother me anymore. So I would be one who would just keep playing. Life has been good so if it's time so be it.

GoPacers 08-14-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 1673145)
Growing up we lived at the convergence of two rivers. The thunderstorms would follow those rivers and stop right over our house. I have seen balls of fire go across the room, had fence posts blown from the ground so close the dirt covered me, was trying to get the cows in and saw one get hit, had a crab apple tree hit while standing under it and have never had so much as a scratch or tingle myself.

I think you get to the point where you become immune to it. I have come so much closer to meeting my maker in airplanes, on highways, on motorcycles, sailing, in Vietnam and in other ways that lighting just doesn't bother me anymore. So I would be one who would just keep playing. Life has been good so if it's time so be it.

Bingo:) It's their life and as long as they aren't hurting anyone else I hope they enjoy every minute of it however they want.