Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Bidet installation mode (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/bidet-installation-mode-296929/)

GrumpyOldMan 08-15-2019 11:39 AM

Bidet installation mode

I forgot to check the availability of electricity in the bathrooms in our new Durham.

Anyone have experience having bidets installed that require electricity for heating water? Do I need an electrician?

I don’t want an extension cord from the bedroom, if you know what I mean...

retiredguy123 08-15-2019 11:47 AM

I think you will need an electrician and probably a new circuit installed from the main panel. The bathroms only have one GFCI duplex outlet above the vanity. Heating water would probably exceed the capacity of the existing circuit.

Chatbrat 08-15-2019 12:50 PM

You will only need to warm the water for 6 months, more like a plumbing fix, add another hot water tap to the bidet, flush with warm water

graciegirl 08-15-2019 02:39 PM

Use the sprayer on the shower.

Chatbrat 08-15-2019 02:58 PM

That's what we do, but to sachich is own

villagetinker 08-15-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan (Post 1673461)
I forgot to check the availability of electricity in the bathrooms in our new Durham.

Anyone have experience having bidets installed that require electricity for heating water? Do I need an electrician?

I don’t want an extension cord from the bedroom, if you know what I mean...

GOM, call the building department, and find out the regulations for these devices. They will also be able to tell you what permits will be needed, DO NOT TAKE OUT THE PERMITS YOURSELF, unless you are actually doing the work YOURSELF. Send me a PM if you want the gory details. If your bathroom is a significant distance from your existing water heater, then a tap off the shower or sink may not work (too long to get warm water). I have no idea of the size (electrical size) an instant water heater for this application would be, but as noted above, I am sure you will need a new dedicated GFCI circuit from the breaker box to the bathroom. If there is such a device as a bidet with the heater built in, this might be a better choice.
Good luck with your project.

retiredguy123 08-15-2019 04:07 PM

Apparently, you can buy a bidet that has a built in water tank and uses about 600 watts of electricity, or one that has instant hot water and uses 1400 watts. But, in either case, I would want a separate circuit installed.

When my neighborhood was new, my neighbor was ironing clothes in her bedroom and the circuit breaker kept tripping. She called the builder to fix the problem under warranty. The builder told her that the electrical system was fine. The problem is that she was supposed to iron clothes in the kitchen, not in the bedroom.

missypie 08-15-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1673495)
Use the sprayer on the shower.

Just have to tell you how nice a warm seat, blow dryer and sprayer is.

graciegirl 08-15-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missypie (Post 1673526)
Just have to tell you how nice a warm seat, blow dryer and sprayer is.

Sounds lovely. ;)

Kilmacowen 08-15-2019 04:47 PM

You can also buy a pan that fits on your toilet for soaking. Just checked Amazon and they have pages of options you may consider.

OrangeBlossomBaby 08-15-2019 05:06 PM

Soaking? Are you thinking of a sitz bath? That's not the same as a bidet.

Aloha1 08-15-2019 07:02 PM

If you've never experienced the pleasure of a Japanese toilet, you don't know what you're missing. For less than $400 you can retrofit your existing toilet with a new heated seat, cleansing water, and air dryer plus it washes the toilet itself.