Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Need help with camera (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/need-help-camera-297211/)

Arctic Fox 08-21-2019 09:19 AM

Need help with camera

I have just bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ300

The screen is filled with an array of Menu items enabling me to adjust everything and anything

Trouble is, I can't exit this screen so cannot see an image of what I want to photograph

Once you are done with changing the settings, how do you get back to shooting mode?

I have pressed every button, and combination of buttons, to no avail

Thank you

Polar Bear 08-21-2019 09:39 AM

Sorry I can't help you directly, but I have to ask...

The manual doesn't help? It should certainly have basic information like you need. Good luck.

Arctic Fox 08-21-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1675002)
The manual doesn't help? It should certainly have basic information like you need. Good luck.

One would have thought so, but I can't find it - in neither the printed one that comes with the camera nor the detailed pdf that I downloaded from the Panasonic web site.

Plenty of info on what to do when you're in the Menu, but nothing on how to escape.

and Google rarely lets me down, but this time...

retiredguy123 08-21-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1675025)
One would have thought so, but I can't find it - in neither the printed one that comes with the camera nor the detailed pdf that I downloaded from the Panasonic web site.

Plenty of info on what to do when you're in the Menu, but nothing on how to escape.

and Google rarely lets me down, but this time...

It looks like you exit the menu by pressing the Fn3 button. Good luck.

juneroses 08-21-2019 11:54 AM

I have a simpler Lumex but the menu and instructions I see online for yours are similar to mine. I just press the Menu/Set button again to return to shooting mode.

Midnight Cowgirl 08-21-2019 12:05 PM

There must be a phone number or email address in your instructions where you can get in touch with them.
Also, try their website.
One of those choices should be able to help you.

Arctic Fox 08-21-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juneroses (Post 1675034)
I have a simpler Lumex but the menu and instructions I see online for yours are similar to mine. I just press the Menu/Set button again to return to shooting mode.

That would be the obvious exit, but either it doesn't apply to this model or it is not working on mine. All it does for me is take me through additional menus :-(

retiredguy123 08-21-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 1675046)
That would be the obvious exit, but either it doesn't apply to this model or it is not working on mine. All it does for me is take me through additional menus :-(

Try pressing the Fn3 button to escape the menu.

Arctic Fox 08-21-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1675033)
It looks like you exit the menu by pressing the Fn3 button. Good luck.

My FN3 button (which is also the Quick Menu button) does shift the menu info from taking up the whole screen to just being dotted round the edge, which is certainly an improvement, thank you.

There must be away to hide all of that information, but no doubt it is so obvious that they didn't feel the need to spell it out.

juneroses 08-21-2019 12:43 PM

Below is a link to a forum about your camera. You may find the answer to your question there or be able to ask for help from another user.

New FZ300: Panasonic Compact Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Arctic Fox 08-21-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juneroses (Post 1675054)
Below is a link to a forum about your camera...[/url]

Thank you for the lead. No answer on that site, but I have sent the question to Graham Houghton who has a blog on Lumix cameras

John_W 08-21-2019 03:06 PM

Here is about ten videos about the operation of your camera. Youtube has videos for just about everything.

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ300 - YouTube

Arctic Fox 08-21-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1675087)
Here is about ten videos about the operation of your camera. Youtube has videos for just about everything.

Thank you, John - they can certainly be a very useful resource

Arctic Fox 08-21-2019 03:59 PM

Just in case you ever have a similar problem:

Half-pressing the shutter release takes me out of the Menu screen

and scrolling through the Display options let's me select how much information (if any) I want around the screen