Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   What's the word on Tomberlin Golf Carts? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/whats-word-tomberlin-golf-carts-297314/)

Ben Franklin 08-24-2019 03:33 PM

What's the word on Tomberlin Golf Carts?

I've been researching and test driving all sorts of golf carts from Yamaha to EZ GO to Club Car to Star and I find myself liking Tomberlin (Star comes in second for me) over all of the other carts out there. I'm more interested in electric, than with gas, although the Yamaha quiet tech was very nice.

I'm curious to see if anyone has positive or negative feedback, from experience, on the Tomberlin. The 2020 model will be adding GPS to their carts. I appreciate your feedback.

red tail 08-24-2019 03:38 PM

tommberlin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Franklin (Post 1675810)
I've been researching and test driving all sorts of golf carts from Yamaha to EZ GO to Club Car to Star and I find myself liking Tomberlin (Star comes in second for me) over all of the other carts out there. I'm more interested in electric, than with gas, although the Yamaha quiet tech was very nice.

I'm curious to see if anyone has positive or negative feedback, from experience, on the Tomberlin. The 2020 model will be adding GPS to their carts. I appreciate your feedback.

I drove a tomberlin for 25000 miles and never had a problem. and then when I finally did it took 3 months for the needed parts to come from china. so service and parts are very hard to come by. I loved that cart but would never own another!

jchase 08-24-2019 03:42 PM

Only problem is there is no resale on those carts. If you decide you don’t like one of them your stuck. Stick with Yamaha gas. Great cart and hold their value.

Ben Franklin 08-24-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red tail (Post 1675812)
I drove a tomberlin for 25000 miles and never had a problem. and then when I finally did it took 3 months for the needed parts to come from china. so service and parts are very hard to come by. I loved that cart but would never own another!

Thanks for the advice. I just read this and saw their assembly plant here in Leesburg. I wonder if that will change things?

"Columbia Parcar, part of the Nordic Group of Companies, was founded in 1999. Their factory at 2505 Industrial St, Leesburg, FL 34748 consists of approximately sixty-thousand square feet (5,575 square meters).

In April 2015 Columbia Parcar acquired assets of Tomberlin which went into bankruptcy in 2014. Tomberlin was believed to be the third largest manufacturer in the world. However, Tomberlin was previously manufactured in China. Parcar completed the acquisition of Tomberlin’s assets in February 2016, with production due to commence in 2017.

On September 8, 2016, Columbia Parcar signed an agreement with Wells Fargo Commercial Distribution Finance to assist with the establishment and finance of a dealer network throughout the United States."

Ben Franklin 08-24-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchase (Post 1675813)
Only problem is there is no resale on those carts. If you decide you don’t like one of them your stuck. Stick with Yamaha gas. Great cart and hold their value.

Thanks. That's a good fact to know.

JoMar 08-24-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Franklin (Post 1675828)
Thanks. That's a good fact to know.

But it's gas....:(

villagetinker 08-24-2019 06:34 PM

OP, check out the repair costs and availability of replacement parts. I just helped a neighbor who has a Polaris electric cart, the charger failed, replacement charger $919.42, before taxes and shipping!! I was able to retrofit a generic charger ($210) to this cart. My point, if the cart uses custom parts, you are at their mercy for repairs and replacement.

MorTech 08-25-2019 03:37 AM

The Tomberlin is a good cart and built local.
Stick with that or Yamaha PTV AC or EZGO RXV.
All have AC motors which are powerful, efficient, and maintenance free (Brushless).

NotGolfer 08-25-2019 07:07 AM

We have one, a street legal and like it. The actual store has moved recently from Fruitland Park to Leesburg down by the airport. So call or google to find it, before you go. Ours was purchased new a couple of years ago and was built locally.

JoelJohnson 08-25-2019 07:54 AM

I have a friend that bought one. He wanted some modifications done. It took about 3 months to get it. The machine itself seems like a good cart, but, service is iffy at best.

Ben Franklin 08-25-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 1675893)
We have one, a street legal and like it. The actual store has moved recently from Fruitland Park to Leesburg down by the airport. So call or google to find it, before you go. Ours was purchased new a couple of years ago and was built locally.

Thanks. I was there on Friday. They have a huge facility for maintenance work. Who does service on your cart in TV land?

Ben Franklin 08-25-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1675846)
But it's gas....:(

I have decided to stick with electric as I believe it is the wave of the future. I like the new lithium batteries, but they need some work yet.

By the way, we've lived in Florida for over 30 years now, but up until two years ago, we had a little cabin in Lancaster County, PA.

Ben Franklin 08-25-2019 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'd like to hear from Tomberlin owners, if there is anyone who currently owns one. My main concern would be maintenance, but I understand there are a few people who come to one's home and does the maintenance. Perhaps I will contact them to see if they work on the Tomberlin..

kathyspear 10-02-2019 08:33 PM

Ben:

Did you get your new cart and, if so, what did you choose? Wondering if you went with the Tomberlin. I saw one at LSL tonight and really thought it looked spiffy with some neat features.

kathy

bilcon 10-03-2019 06:45 AM

I don't understand why some people put themselves into situations that can later cause stress. What's the big deal? It's a golf cart. Buy a Yamaha or a Club Car. If you like something fancy, buy a Street Rod. Make life easy. Local service, free loaner. What else do you need? No I do not work for any golf cart dealer. I have never had any problems with my 2007 electric Club Cart or my Yamaha gas cart.

"I have never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."