Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Bird Feeders in Yard (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/bird-feeders-yard-297403/)

jimemac48 08-27-2019 12:39 PM

Bird Feeders in Yard

I'm in District 5..I have read the deed restrictions document but i didn't see anything about bird feeders i.e. hummingbird feeders not being allowed in yards. I am thinking its a no no in the front but maybe OK in the back yard. Your thoughts or experiences please.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Bogie Shooter 08-27-2019 12:53 PM

Community Standards
Phone: 352-751-3912

Marathon Man 08-27-2019 03:39 PM

Always call Community Standards.

tophcfa 08-27-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimemac48 (Post 1676449)
I'm in District 5..I have read the deed restrictions document but i didn't see anything about bird feeders i.e. hummingbird feeders not being allowed in yards. I am thinking its a no no in the front but maybe OK in the back yard. Your thoughts or experiences please.
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Not sure what abuts your back yard, but we and many of our neighbors have them in their back yard, which abuts a preserve. We love seeing the birds, but no longer put out the feeders as the bobcats hang out by the feeders and prey on the feeding birds.

JerryLBell 08-28-2019 06:44 AM

If you're specifically planning on putting up hummingbird feeders, I wish you luck. You just don't see as many hummers in Florida as you do in other eastern states. I believe it has something to do with the difficulty in migration from Florida across the Gulf to Mexico. They can actually fly that distance (though they arrive nearly starved to death) but those that start further north, hug the coast and spend as little time and effort crossing the Gulf are probably more successful. To get our fix on hummers, my wife and I usually have to visit her sister in Arizona as they have much larger numbers of hummers and much greater variety.

TicTalk 10-24-2019 03:15 PM

I love having bird feeders in my backyard. It is wonderful to see different kinds of birds take advantage, especially rarer ones.

But trying to keep out all other types of critters and animals is an ongoing battle. I tried to get creative to stop squirrels from eating it all, and they outsmarted me a lot.

Villageswimmer 10-24-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryLBell (Post 1676637)
If you're specifically planning on putting up hummingbird feeders, I wish you luck. You just don't see as many hummers in Florida as you do in other eastern states. I believe it has something to do with the difficulty in migration from Florida across the Gulf to Mexico. They can actually fly that distance (though they arrive nearly starved to death) but those that start further north, hug the coast and spend as little time and effort crossing the Gulf are probably more successful. To get our fix on hummers, my wife and I usually have to visit her sister in Arizona as they have much larger numbers of hummers and much greater variety.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. I wasn’t aware of this.

Topspinmo 10-24-2019 05:24 PM

Birds, there birds around here? Had more birds 🦅 in Oklahoma than in my little area around here.

Topspinmo 10-24-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryLBell (Post 1676637)

I’m had more hummingbirds in day in Oklahoma than I see in year around here.

The Gerbs 10-25-2019 01:27 PM

There is another consideration with bird feeders. Bird seed attracts rodents. Rodents attract snakes...

Ben Franklin 10-25-2019 03:26 PM

I see hummingbirds in my bottle brush trees. We don't have any type of feeders out yet, either.

JackRussell 10-25-2019 05:43 PM

I was at an architecture committee meeting where they had a request for a birdfeeder on a pole. They were required to ask because it went in the ground. During the discussion one representative said he wondered if the applicant knew he could hang the feeder in a tree without running afoul of the deed restrictions.

dewilson58 10-25-2019 06:01 PM

The tee box on #7 Havana, on 466a...............there are so many bird feeders, I have to wait for the flight pattern to clear before I can tee off!!!

milling73 12-15-2019 11:19 AM

I see so many posts with dire warnings and terrifying tales about putting up bird feeders.
Did you have bird feeders at your previous home / state? Was your yard or home infested with snakes, rats, mice, bugs, etc because you hung a bird feeder? Or did you simply enjoy watching the various birds n squirrels at them?
People enjoy issuing dire warnings that rarely happen anywhere, including here.
Think about it

TomOB 12-15-2019 12:02 PM

The squirrels got more food than the birds when I had a feeder.