Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Tropical Storm Dorian (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/tropical-storm-dorian-297414/)

jcvdd1 08-27-2019 03:39 PM

Tropical Storm Dorian

Hurricane Dorian

How are you preparing???

Based on current projected forecast released on 08/28/2019, Hurricane Dorian is on a current path that will "possibly" affect The Villages.

Hurricane Dorian "may" make landfall as early as this Sunday night "near" The Central Florida coastal area and Hurricane Dorian may intensify to a Category 3 Hurricane.

What precautions are you guys taking????

rjm1cc 08-27-2019 03:43 PM

I guess with the exception of filling up the car with gas and bring the outside flower pots and furniture inside I am always ready.

billethkid 08-27-2019 03:58 PM

What ever one needs...get it now before The Villages storm mania starts.

I never understand why the get ready for a storm is such a major event. Especially for most of us who have been around a few years.

We have and have had our storm cache and only have to top off gas long before the mania starts.

Nucky 08-27-2019 04:03 PM

We went to the Hurricane Preparedness last year and as far as I know, have done everything I learned to do. Including Flood Insurance. It's Cheap!

We even bought a generator and I have to finish breaking it in, another two hours and then change the Earl (Oil).

Then we're ready for action. Just waiting for our Buddy, Tuccillo to enter and give us some of his wisdom, weather-wise!

Chatbrat 08-27-2019 04:09 PM

Fill cars and have cash on hand

Ben Franklin 08-27-2019 04:24 PM

A cat 1? Nothing. We lived on a small island off of Fort Myers for 15 years. I don't get anxious unless it's a cat 3 or higher. Once, we had to evacuate. I am upset that it's heading this way, because we moved further north and to higher ground (we were 5 feet above sea level) to get away from them. We had hurricane shutters, but the only good they did, when there was a storm surge, was to keep out the fish. We picked TV because it never took a direct hit. They're following me ;-)

Velvet 08-27-2019 05:04 PM

Got notification on my email about the storm from Village Insurance just now and what to do. Talk about being considerate! Each time another little surprise tells me how lucky I am to be part of TV.

jcvdd1 08-27-2019 05:13 PM

Just wondering :ohdear: if the pre-hurricane hysteria is as prevalent here in The Villages as in some parts of the state where people who have never experienced bad weather will inundate the local markets right before the bad weather approaches and wipe-out the shelf's of everything?

Hopefully Dorian turns out to be nothing more than a bad storm. Now is the time to prepare your family, not hours before the storm strike.

Big O 08-27-2019 05:28 PM

I bought two bottles of Basil Hayden instead of one. I'm prepared.

NotGolfer 08-27-2019 05:29 PM

Hysteria seems to happen mostly with newbies that haven't experienced it. Though with Irma it took "forever" and we kept hearing about it for, what seemed like weeks, so folks were quite hyped over it. We've lived here 10 yrs and Irma was the only one (which "they" said never happens this far in-land). We didn't have damage where we live, nor power outages or flooding. Some did but it seemed to be more in the historical side...plus golf courses (flooding).

As for prep...stock up with food that's not perishable, water, batteries, weather radio and your medications. Oh--and gas up your vehicle(s). BUT do NOT wait til the last minute!!! Stores will run out of the main items (batteries, water and such).

Experience is, the weather people have to stay on top of things due to ratings AND if they didn't people would complain and say "NO ONE told us!" if the improbable happens.

600th Photo Sq 08-27-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcvdd1 (Post 1676505)
Tropical Storm Dorian

How are you preparing???

Based on “possible” projected forecast posted online on 08/27/19, Tropical Storm Dorian is on a current path that “may” possibly affect The Villages / Central Florida coast area with a possible Level 1 Hurricane as early as this Sunday night….

What precautions are you guys taking????

Checked out my Umbrellas, Working Perfectly

Water Supply 24 6oz bottles ( Publix Spring Water )

Propane Tank full

2 Rib Eye Steaks ( 2 )...... Just in case Our Favorites ( Bone-In )

Obviously with baked potatoes

Wine Stock ( Excellent Shape ) Never a problem

Beer 48 16 oz Mich Ultra

Candles over Batteries ( More Romantic ), Matches over Lighter ( More Reliable )

Ice Supply in the cooler

Gasoline in the cars, Golf Cart full of fuel.

Laundry up to date. Fertilize all outdoor plants etc.

Were all set.....Bring it on

jcvdd1 08-27-2019 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 80740

tuccillo 08-27-2019 05:45 PM

The "cone" of possibilities encompasses almost all of Florida and part of SE Georgia for Sunday afternoon. It is still early. We won't have a real good idea where it is going until Saturday.

Here is the latest:

TROPICAL STORM DORIAN

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1676516)
We went to the Hurricane Preparedness last year and as far as I know, have done everything I learned to do. Including Flood Insurance. It's Cheap!

We even bought a generator and I have to finish breaking it in, another two hours and then change the Earl (Oil).

Then we're ready for action. Just waiting for our Buddy, Tuccillo to enter and give us some of his wisdom, weather-wise!

DonH57 08-27-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq (Post 1676534)
Checked out my Umbrellas,

Water Supply 24 6oz bottles ( Publix Spring Water )

Wine Stock ( Excellent Shape ) Never a problem

Beer 48 16 oz Mich Ultra

Candles over Batteries ( More Romantic ), Matches over Lighter ( More Reliable )

Ice Supply in the cooler

Gasoline in the cars, Golf Cart full of fuel.

Laundry up to date. Fertilize all outdoor plants etc.

Were all set.....Bring it on

I basically have same list !

vintageogauge 08-27-2019 06:08 PM

We still have provisions from Irma which wasn't much more than a long storm.