Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Rec Centers Closed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/rec-centers-closed-297494/)

redwitch 08-30-2019 02:40 PM

Rec Centers Closed

Just received notice that all rec centers will be closed from Saturday at 5:00 pm to at least Tuesday.

EdFNJ 08-30-2019 04:02 PM

That's strange since the storm is not until Tuesday/Wednesday. I'd say "at least Friday" if I was a betting man.

CFrance 08-30-2019 05:18 PM

Also, all executive golf courses will be closed from Saturday, September 1 until September 6. Why just the exec courses? What is the difference between the two kinds of courses?

Goldwingnut 08-30-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 1677266)
Also, all executive golf courses will be closed from Saturday, September 1 until September 6. Why just the exec courses? What is the difference between the two kinds of courses?

The difference is that the Executive courses are amenities and run using amenity fees and are managed by the Executive Golf Department. They make decisions based on what is best for the course conditions and the residents. They are very conservative in their decisions as has been shown but the closures.

The Championship courses are privately owned businesses and have their own management staff that makes its own decisions on the operation. They are NOT amenities of The Villages.

Something that most people don't realize is how much revenue has been lost by the Championship courses due to their closure during the water dumping to lower the retention pond system levels. Their revenue is zero and they still have to pay the maintenance staff as they are still working. There is also e loss at the retail stores and restaurants when these courses are closed for dumping.

trekker954 08-30-2019 09:43 PM

I’m a little bummed everything is closing way before the storm. As a home and pet sitter the past six weeks I wish my last week here would have had me improve my pickle ball game Lol. And it’s cold turkey from line dancing. I need some distraction from worry. My home is in Fort Lauderdale area. Yikes.

waterlily 08-30-2019 10:03 PM

I'll bet they turn the sprinklers on the execs 24/7 to get pond levels down now before the rains.

CFrance 08-31-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldwingnut (Post 1677268)
The difference is that the Executive courses are amenities and run using amenity fees and are managed by the Executive Golf Department. They make decisions based on what is best for the course conditions and the residents. They are very conservative in their decisions as has been shown but the closures.

The Championship courses are privately owned businesses and have their own management staff that makes its own decisions on the operation. They are NOT amenities of The Villages.

Something that most people don't realize is how much revenue has been lost by the Championship courses due to their closure during the water dumping to lower the retention pond system levels. Their revenue is zero and they still have to pay the maintenance staff as they are still working. There is also e loss at the retail stores and restaurants when these courses are closed for dumping.

Thanks for the explanation. I was not complaining, just wondering.

Marathon Man 08-31-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1677254)
That's strange since the storm is not until Tuesday/Wednesday. I'd say "at least Friday" if I was a betting man.

They need time to prepare for the coming storm. Just like we do. The sooner, the better. Closing them all at the same time makes better sense than announcing phased closings.

EviesGP 08-31-2019 09:05 AM

Just a point of clarification for both CF and GWN, ALL golf courses will be closed! And, although district runs Execs and The Villages runs the Champs (after taking back mgmt. from GMS this past year), the current(prior to Dorian) closures were directed by Water Management, not either of the course management(s). They're concerned about the houses, NOT the golf courses! Trying to get the water down, so another storm does not flood them! Cheers!

beachbaby 08-31-2019 09:20 AM

Boo Hoo!!

Dond1959 08-31-2019 09:29 AM

If the storm continues to turn more north and stays off shore the impact will be a lot less here. They may open things back up earlier if the forecast stays like it is. Of course forecasts can always change. We will know for sure in a few days.