Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf Cart Accessories (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-cart-accessories-308/)
-   -   Best gps for tv cart directions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-cart-accessories-308/best-gps-tv-cart-directions-297527/)

NJRICHARD 09-01-2019 12:25 PM

Best gps for tv cart directions

What is the best (easiest to read&use) GPS device for going from one place to another by golf cart. I was told there are 1000 miles of golf cart paths and I want to avoid getting lost (which I have experienced). GREAT PLACE...just moved into TV....THANKS

Bogie Shooter 09-01-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRICHARD (Post 1677611)
What is the best (easiest to read&use) GPS device for going from one place to another by golf cart. I was told there are 1000 miles of golf cart paths and I want to avoid getting lost (which I have experienced). GREAT PLACE...just moved into TV....THANKS

If you get lost, just pull off the path and you will have more help than you can deal with.:1rotfl:
:welcome:

Fraugoofy 09-01-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJRICHARD (Post 1677611)

Google maps om bicycle mode. Simple... and accurate.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Polar Bear 09-01-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraugoofy (Post 1677626)
Google maps om bicycle mode. Simple... and accurate...

Villages GPS is an option. But I’m with Fraugoofy for my first choice. :)

Graspher 09-01-2019 01:39 PM

Bogie is right on. Other golf carts and cars will stop when they see a cart driver camping on the road/path side hunkered over a phone.

Between the Villiages app and Villiages GPS app - my experience is Villiages GPS is the better one. It has a few quirks but overall very good and my go to for all cart navigation.

DonH57 09-01-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraugoofy (Post 1677626)
Google maps om bicycle mode. Simple... and accurate.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

That's what I've used until I became familiar with the villages. Very handy to use on a big yard sale weekend. Just load the locations and go.

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-01-2019 03:45 PM

I was anti-GPS ever since the things first came out. I can't concentrate on the road if I'm distracted by a moving visual on a device, and I'm hearing impaired so listening to verbal directions from a tiny little speaker is even more distracting. So as someone who can't stand the things on general principal, I'd give a nod to the Villages GPS app for your smartphone. It's just a few bucks for the download but the coders update it frequently and you can post on their category right here on ToTV if you have concerns or questions. They usually get back to you within a couple of hours.

Polar Bear 09-01-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1677666)
I was anti-GPS ever since the things first came out. I can't concentrate on the road if I'm distracted by a moving visual on a device, and I'm hearing impaired so listening to verbal directions from a tiny little speaker is even more distracting...

Nobody is talking about driving while distracted!!

Get as familiar with the route as possible before you start out. Then if you have an issue while driving...you’re in a golf cart. Pull off at the first safe opportunity, look at your gps, and get back on track. :)

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-01-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1677689)

Get as familiar with the route as possible before you start out. Then if you have an issue while driving...you’re in a golf cart. Pull off at the first safe opportunity, look at your gps, and get back on track. :)

You're absolutely right! The OP was asking which GPS was the easiest to read and use. He wasn't asking how to familiarize himself with the Villages.

I made my recommendation, and gave the disclaimer that I was making it as someone who generally doesn't like GPS systems at all and has difficulty using them because they are too much of a distraction TO ME.

tophcfa 09-01-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1677689)

That's very good advise, don't try to look at a GPS while driving, very dangerous. And when you pull over to check your GPS, chances are very good someone will stop to help you with directions before you have time to pull out your cheaters and look to your electronic devise for guidance.

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-01-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1677707)
That's very good advise, don't try to look at a GPS while driving, very dangerous. And when you pull over to check your GPS, chances are very good someone will stop to help you with directions before you have time to pull out your cheaters and look to your electronic devise for guidance.

I just had whoever was sitting with me in the card repeat whatever the GPS voice said, so I could understand the directions without having to struggle to listen. They kept the volume down so THEY could hear it. We only had to pull over a couple of times because the passenger said "take a left" and I ended up taking a left into a parking lot instead of the street right after it!

Bay Kid 09-02-2019 07:32 AM

Stop on the side of the cart path and open a map. Tons of help will follow. Sorry I had to say that. No gps for me, I just stay lost until I get there.

rtime 09-02-2019 08:23 AM

Use it all the time, very accurate.