Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Devastating Images from the Bahamas (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/devastating-images-bahamas-297594/)

thelegges 09-03-2019 07:21 PM

Devastating Images from the Bahamas

The images coming to light from the Bahamas is just heartbreaking. For all those that thought your day was in ruin because you could not play pickleball or golf, take time to reflect on how devastating their life has become. Prayers for all.

anothersteve 09-03-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 1678336)
The images coming to light from the Bahamas is just heartbreaking. For all those that thought your day was in ruin because you could not play pickleball or golf, take time to reflect on how devastating their life has become. Prayers for all.

Been thinking the same thing all day!
Steve

Taltarzac725 09-03-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Nicely stated. Us Americans are extremely fortunate to have been born or migrated here. Many parts of the world have inhabitants who are one bad change of circumstance from a cruel end. Fortunately there are still many who will help them as long as the press and others care about these circumstances.

Schneil 09-03-2019 08:58 PM

So graceful the cruise industry is chipping in to help. RCI

jebartle 09-04-2019 03:31 AM

Feel so bad for those folks, will help thru safe local charities.

ColdNoMore 09-04-2019 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1678377)
Feel so bad for those folks, will help thru safe local charities.

Ditto.

To ensure my donations make a difference and aren't mostly used to pay for admin costs, I use.... Charity Navigator (Click Here)

The early look at the devastation and hearing just a few of the residents stories...is horrific and utterly heartbreaking.
:(

NotGolfer 09-04-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

I want to join the comments and echo how heartbreaking it is. Here "we" tend to complain and criticize about 1st world problems that aren't problems at all. Last night a man in the Bahamas was interviewed and he told of watching his wife drown while their house destructed. When asked how he survived his answer was, he didn't know. I can't imagine even a bit what he and others are going through.

dewilson58 09-04-2019 07:08 AM

It's going to take years to recover, long after the network channels leave.

Pray the death toll does not climb.

Florida is/was blessed this time.

villagetinker 09-04-2019 12:33 PM

The photos I have seen show what I consider unbelievable damage. While I have never been their, my wife has, and indicated the devastation does not come close to the damage.

graciegirl 09-04-2019 03:49 PM

Been thinking all the thoughts today that I have read here. We can help them restore buildings but we can't restore the lives lost.

So very sad.

Taltarzac725 09-04-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1678514)
The photos I have seen show what I consider unbelievable damage. While I have never been their, my wife has, and indicated the devastation does not come close to the damage.

Had wanted to visit the Bahamas at some point because of all the pirate lore they seem to be connected to in various ways. Lots of history in other words. Pirates of Nassau | Pirates of The Bahamas

Will still try to do that as what they will need in the future are tourists.

rustyp 09-04-2019 05:35 PM

Pay attention to images from this when you think your house is safe. Block houses built to withstand category 5 hurricane were shredded. I seen pics of walls totally blown apart that were reinforced by rebar. You guys have a very false sense of security based upon when and what standards your houses were built to. Anyone whoever stayed in a house with 100 mph winds for prolonged period of time (not a couple hours ) would most likely never do it again. Have you ever seen sliding glass doors bow inward by 4 inches ?

graciegirl 09-04-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1678599)
Pay attention to images from this when you think your house is safe. Block houses built to withstand category 5 hurricane were shredded. I seen pics of walls totally blown apart that were reinforced by rebar. You guys have a very false sense of security based upon when and what standards your houses were built to. Anyone whoever stayed in a house with 100 mph winds for prolonged period of time (not a couple hours ) would most likely never do it again. Have you ever seen sliding glass doors bow inward by 4 inches ?

Well, this is true and proves some kind of point. People try to be as safe as they can and builders try to build homes to protect us. But sometimes we face the ultimate challenge. and sometimes we survive and sometimes we don't.

Everyone has their ideas and beliefs and that may be why there are so many houses of worship.

Velvet 09-04-2019 06:58 PM

Yes, and costs come into play too. The builders can build bunkers or equivalent housing code probably able to withstand Cat 5 hurricane too, but the costs would be so excessive, no one would buy such a house. And they generally don’t need to. The probability of any one house getting catastrophic damage in TV in my guess is very low. Insurance cover most other damage (with deductible).

thelegges 09-04-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 1678599)

Actually homes in Bahamas that are still standing are the recent builds, not block, but poured concrete. Only place I know that was built to withstand Cat 5 is Disney Resorts. TV has ratings on wind for homes, windows, roof. But no builder here says what CAT they can withstand.

Our oldest on barrier Island in North Carolina is build to withstand CAT, but nowhere does it say what number. So far the last three have done zero damage, but as he says it’s all luck of the draw.