Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Traffic lane use (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/traffic-lane-use-297692/)

Willbare 09-05-2019 05:48 AM

Traffic lane use

WHY Do people drive in the left lane below speed limit? WHY? The left lane is for passing or if you are about to turn left. We are NOT in England folks PLEASE drive like you are supposed to.

pacjag 09-05-2019 07:05 AM

Unfortunately, you’re in Florida where this practice originated quite a few years ago.

Arctic Fox 09-05-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willbare (Post 1678687)
WHY Do people drive in the left lane below speed limit? WHY? The left lane is for passing or if you are about to turn left. We are NOT in England folks PLEASE drive like you are supposed to.

I'm pretty sure that in England they use the left lane to turn left, too. Well, not everybody, obviously. Any Floridians over there...

John_W 09-05-2019 09:41 AM

It's actually a law now in Florida since about 2017, the right lane is for driving and the left lane is for passing. They could give out tickets on 466A all day long, I think some drivers have never considered using the right lane.

papasetti82 09-05-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacjag (Post 1678691)
Unfortunately, you’re in Florida where this practice originated quite a few years ago.

Yes you are right,quite a few years ago when Yankees invaded Florida.Why do you think these drivers you are complaining about are Floridians ?

JoMar 09-05-2019 10:13 AM

Same law in Pennsylvania, same non enforcement

buzzy 09-05-2019 10:49 AM

My guess is that they feel more comfortable with the shoulder or curb right there, rather than on the other side of the car.

Chatbrat 09-05-2019 11:03 AM

Personal preference lanes are all over TV

ditka41 09-05-2019 11:17 AM

Just a part of the "entitled" status that so many Villagers seem to have qualified for. Would be interesting to know if they are the same ones who don't intend to respect golf courses, pick up dog poop, share the MMP, park in store entrances, etc. -Does the status of "entitled" only apply to specific activities, or is the status very general, and apply to anything they choose to violate?

New Englander 09-05-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papasetti82 (Post 1678741)
Yes you are right,quite a few years ago when Yankees invaded Florida.Why do you think these drivers you are complaining about are Floridians ?

:popcorn:

VApeople 09-05-2019 12:06 PM

I often drive in the left lane on 4-lane roads like 44, 466, and 466A.

When I turn left onto a 4-lane road, I always stay in the left lane until the traffic clears enough so that I can pull over to the right lane. Since I never exceed the posted speed limit, that can take awhile because the other cars are going faster and often do not leave me enough room to pull over.

When driving on Morse or Buena Vista and planning to turn left, I move over to the left lane (driving 30-35 mph) well ahead of the roundabout where I plan to turn.

EdFNJ 09-05-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ditka41 (Post 1678767)
Just a part of the "entitled" status that so many Villagers seem to have qualified for. Would be interesting to know if they are the same ones who don't intend to respect golf courses, pick up dog poop, share the MMP, park in store entrances, etc. -Does the status of "entitled" only apply to specific activities, or is the status very general, and apply to anything they choose to violate?

Thank goodness the storm has passed, now we can get back to the "important" stuff !! Just have to add "Costco is coming/not coming" to get us totally back. :D :D

Polar Bear 09-05-2019 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1678786)

When I turn left onto a 4-lane road, I always stay in the left lane until the traffic clears enough so that I can pull over to the right lane. Since I never exceed the posted speed limit, that can take awhile because the other cars are going faster and often do not leave me enough room to pull over.

When driving on Morse or Buena Vista and planning to turn left, I move over to the left lane (driving 30-35 mph) well ahead of the roundabout where I plan to turn.

That all sounds good...except the part about "When I turn left onto a 4-lane road, I always stay in the left lane until the traffic clears...".

If you're turning left onto a 4-lane road, there should be no traffic to clear, or you shouldn't be making your left hand turn.

Two Bills 09-05-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 1678786)

Driving behind a driver who is at, or in many cases, just below the posted limit whilst lane hogging is probably why so many other drivers get frustrated when driving.
Nothing like a "I know my rights" person, to make your day!

JimJohnson 09-05-2019 12:48 PM

Americans tend to follow the rule, ITS ALL ABOUT ME, add to that the age of most villagers and you have a mess.