Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Favorite Mexican Restaurant (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/favorite-mexican-restaurant-297703/)

skyking 09-05-2019 12:55 PM

Favorite Mexican Restaurant

We love Mexican food and typically visit a Mexican restaurant every week. I would appreciate comments on Mexican restaurants in or near The Villages. I know there are many and I'm sure we have missed a few.
Last night we went to Casa Agave in Wildwood accross from the CVS. The food was excellent and the waitress was very attentive and pleasant. We would recommend them.

retiredguy123 09-05-2019 01:04 PM

You should try La Palma on 441 in Leesburg, Fiesta Grande in Colony Plaza, Ay!Jalisco in Spanish Springs, and Brisas del Mar on 441 in Lady Lake. And, I hate to say it, but my favorite mexican restaurant is Taco Bell.

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-05-2019 02:09 PM

Ay! Jalisco is a good representation of western Mexican food. I get their single beef taco with rice and beans, usually. It's not ground chuck, it's more of a lightly seasoned beef stew with nice chunks of potato in it. The salsa roja is disappointing to my personal tastes, but it's authentic. The western Mexican salsa roja is more like a slightly spicy ketchup. But if you prefer a chunky blend to dip your chips into you could order a side of pico de gallo and mix a bit of salsa into it. I like the pico with a fork, and I like some on my taco as well.

Their pina colada wasn't all that great, I like the ones they make right in the Spanish Springs town square outdoor bar better.

bagboy 09-05-2019 02:19 PM

We like Fiesta Grande at Colony Center. A very friendly and professional staff. Great food, cold beverages, and a personable hands on owner.

FenneyFanatic 09-05-2019 02:55 PM

We like Los Magueyes in Wildwood.

John_W 09-05-2019 03:35 PM

Fiesta Grande at Colony Plaza on the right end of the shopping center. We eat there about once a month for the past 8 years. My favorite is the lunch steak fajitas and they are terrific. Ay! Jalisco on Main St in Spanish Springs is good as well, my favorite is lunch taco with rice.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...de-mexican.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eZcvfTwnhv...scoext_lzn.jpg

600th Photo Sq 09-05-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenneyFanatic (Post 1678846)
We like Los Magueyes in Wildwood.

I agree

biker1 09-05-2019 07:20 PM

Damn, now the word is out and it will be harder to get a table.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq (Post 1678887)
I agree

tophcfa 09-05-2019 08:41 PM

Ay Jalisco in SS, great food at a very reasonable price. One of our three or four go to places that is golf cart accessable to get a great and consistent quality meal.

B-flat 09-05-2019 08:50 PM

Although it’s about 23 miles from Calumet Grove in the North end of the villages we have found Las Margaritas On SR 200 in Ocala to be our favorite.

Las Margaritas Mexican Restaurant

Bosoxfan 09-05-2019 08:56 PM

Ay Jalisco and Fiesta Grand both are excellent. Went to the one in Wildwood once..won't be going back. Taco Bell...that's a joke right?:

Graspher 09-05-2019 09:29 PM

Fiesta Grande has been our go to location (we agree with all that’s been said about it)....but we are starting to favor Naldo’s Mexican kitchen on Wedgewood lane.

Both are golf cart accessible.

coffeebean 09-07-2019 05:41 AM

Fiesta Grande has my favorite Fajitias of all time (only served at dinner time). It is called Fajitas Bruchetta. I always get the steak. OMG.....so delicious. These Fajitias do not come with the usual compliment of re-fried beans, salsa and tomatoes and shredded lettuce. This version of Fajitas has pineapple, green peppers, onions and the most delicious white cheese which melts on top.

Fiesta Grande has great Margaritas. I drink the classic one with lime and hubby gets the Strawberry Margarita. Both are the best we have had in The Villages.

coffeebean 09-07-2019 05:53 AM

I know this is about Mexican restaurants in The Villages area but.....my absolute favorite place for Mexican Food has to be Jose Tejas in Iselin, New Jersey.

The reason I mention this restaurant is because the only item on a Mexican restaurant menu I order is Steak Fajitas. Jose Tejas is the only Mexican restaurant I have ever been to which serves the steak in 1" wide X 4" long pieces of cooked medium (pink inside) flavorful marinated steak.

Does anyone know of a Mexican restaurant in this general vicinity that serves the steak for Fajitas as I described above? I will go there, I promise!

PoolBrews 09-07-2019 07:15 AM

Los Maguey's in Wildwood and Belleview is excellent. Food is great, they $1 taco Tuesday, and $1 Wednesday (Wildwood) Thursday (Belleview) enchilada night. Best happy hour anywhere in The Villages. Happy hour is all day every day. $1.25 for domestic pints, $1.75 for premium pints, and $3.99 for large margaritas.

El Toreo in Ocala is also excellent - some of the best food and salsa I've had anywhere.

Ay Jalisco has improved tremendously over the past 6 months - they were quite bland for a while, but apparently have new cook or cooks. The food is extremely good, and their salsa verde is the best in the area now - very tasty and the right amount of hot (and I like very hot!).