Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/helping-hands-130/)
-   -   Kind Neighbor (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/helping-hands-130/kind-neighbor-297722/)

VILLAGERBB 09-05-2019 03:13 PM

Kind Neighbor

Disabled couple in Sabal Chase seeking kind neighbor to put our trash/recycle out. Can you help us?

Bogie Shooter 09-05-2019 05:38 PM

Is there a social club in you village?

VILLAGERBB 09-08-2019 12:29 PM

Yes..but not intended as a neighborhood service group to assist those who need extra help.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1678874)
Is there a social club in you village?

Bogie Shooter 09-08-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB (Post 1679643)
Yes..but not intended as a neighborhood service group to assist those who need extra help.

Well I assumed (I guess wrongly) that if there was a social group, that would be the place to find a kind neighbor and someone you could trust.
Good Luck.

hlsboro 09-08-2019 02:36 PM

Wow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB (Post 1679643)

So much for Florida's Friendliest Hometown designation. If the neighborhood group is not intended to help your neighbor in need then what's the point?

Polar Bear 09-08-2019 03:01 PM

This is a perfect example of what is spoken of in that other thread...what has happened to ToTV?

ANY thread can be turned sarcastic and negative in an instant. :ohdear:

dewilson58 09-08-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1679685)
This is a perfect example of what is spoken of in that other thread...what has happened to ToTV?

Yep!!

CWGUY 09-08-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1679685)

Afraid you are right. We lose good guys like "Toymeister" and "tuccillo" and get ...... :yuck:

Velvet 09-08-2019 03:26 PM

I think the problem is that this request is a regular service provided by hired help up north. In my family it’s hard even to get the kids to take the garbage out.

pooh 09-08-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlsboro (Post 1679680)
So much for Florida's Friendliest Hometown designation. If the neighborhood group is not intended to help your neighbor in need then what's the point?

It is not the fault of any neighborhood group...some are set up for purely social interaction, others might offer more for the group...items for sale, help needed, etc. OP asked for some help, no one here could offer any assistance. Maybe the OP could ask a neighbor for help, maybe they have, I have no idea. Maybe someone on this particular site is up to the task?

Bogie Shooter 09-08-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooh (Post 1679697)
It is not the fault of any neighborhood group...some are set up for purely social interaction, others might offer more for the group...items for sale, help needed, etc. OP asked for some help, no one here could offer any assistance. Maybe the OP could ask a neighbor for help, maybe they have, I have no idea. Maybe someone on this particular site is up to the task?

That's why I suggested the social group.
For example, in my Village a group was formed to assist those who needed help in moving furniture, etc in advance of the hurricane. Simple enough and very helpful.
So, hisboro...that's the point.

graciegirl 09-08-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 1679694)
I think the problem is that this request is a regular service provided by hired help up north. In my family it’s hard even to get the kids to take the garbage out.

I think that neighbors would be glad to if asked. When a person is anonymous on a Forum, then the near neighbors might not recognize the person who needs help. I think a call to someone near the BB's might get them the help they need.

AND...It could also signal a need for transition to another kind of home here in The Villages if the disability is permanent or hiring someone part time to help with other needs.

big guy 09-08-2019 11:16 PM

When I come out of my house on garbage days and the gentleman across the street is coming out to put his trash out, he walks across, gets our trash and puts it at the end of the driveway. We are not that old but both of us have mobility problems and we so appreciate his help. Before the hurricane, the same neighbor and his wife and another neighbor and his wife came over and we had all my potted plants in the garage in an hour. We reversed it yesterday. Now, I would like to do something nice. I can't return the favor but I'd like to do something.

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-09-2019 08:00 AM

Huh I'm confused by all the comments in this thread. Isn't the whole point of the "Helping Hands" category of ToTV to reach out for help, and offer assistance to those who need help? According to the category's admin note, that's what it's for, with a reminder that it is for volunteer, non-commercial help only.

Sort of like a neighborhood match-up forum for people who need help, and people who are available to offer it, to meet up and get the help provided.

I don't live in Sabal Chase but I know if I saw a post here seeking help, and it was in my neighborhood, I would know to reach out and offer it.

2newyorkers 09-09-2019 08:30 AM

I suggest you join Nextdoor.com. It is a social network for your neighborhood.