Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Helping Hands (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/helping-hands-130/)
-   -   A shot in the dark. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/helping-hands-130/shot-dark-297968/)

Two Bills 09-09-2019 08:09 AM

A shot in the dark.

Car rental has taken off pricewise for us Brits, mainly due to the GB. Pound exchange rate.
So this is a long shot request.
Looking for a car, nothing special, just legal and roadworthy, for our stay this coming winter.
We are very low mileage users, (use golf cart mainly) just weekly shopping, and the odd trip to restaurants, and golf courses in the further reaches of TV.
If you have a spare car with all relevant insurances etc., that you would like to earn you some cash dollars instead of standing idle, please PM me, and maybe we can reach a mutually beneficial deal.
Thanks.

vintageogauge 09-09-2019 12:57 PM

I don't think most auto policies here cover your car if you decide to rent it to someone, there would have to be a rider of sorts added to it and your license would have to be checked. I doubt this is going to happen. Also, the mileage cost of owning and driving a car today is pushing $1.00 per mile so any owner would have to take that into consideration. Find a budget rental agency, that would be your best bet.

Two Bills 09-09-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1679994)
I don't think most auto policies here cover your car if you decide to rent it to someone, there would have to be a rider of sorts added to it and your license would have to be checked. I doubt this is going to happen. Also, the mileage cost of owning and driving a car today is pushing $1.00 per mile so any owner would have to take that into consideration. Find a budget rental agency, that would be your best bet.

Thanks for post.
I guessed that would be a problem, local car insurance, Vehicle regs. etc has always been a problem for us foriegners.
We used a rental car for one month only last year and used the golf cart for the rest of the stay. Will probably do that again this year.
The sooner we get our Brexit woes sorted, maybe we will get back to a more reasonable exchange rate.
Mind you anyone planning a break in UK from US will find the rates great!

l2ridehd 09-09-2019 01:53 PM

Consider using UBER for those few times you need a car, or rent one for just a day at Enterprise in Sumter Landing. Golf cart for everything else. Might be less costly in the long run.

2newyorkers 09-09-2019 08:44 PM

Try Budget car rental in Leesburg. They appear to have the cheapest rate.

Two Bills 09-10-2019 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2ridehd (Post 1680020)
Consider using UBER for those few times you need a car, or rent one for just a day at Enterprise in Sumter Landing. Golf cart for everything else. Might be less costly in the long run.

We did exactly that last year, car for first month, then cabs and golf cart. Hired from Enterprise LSL for one way to airport for our return.

Two Bills 09-10-2019 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2newyorkers (Post 1680127)
Try Budget car rental in Leesburg. They appear to have the cheapest rate.

Thanks for reply.

Bay Kid 09-10-2019 06:19 AM

My car just got in the way. I haven't kept a car here in 5 years. Cart everywhere.

Carla B 09-10-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 1680179)
My car just got in the way. I haven't kept a car here in 5 years. Cart everywhere.

If all snowbirds did as you do, there wouldn't be so much (Auto) traffic on the roads in the winter!