Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   The Daily Sun (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/daily-sun-298034/)

obesurgeon@aol.com 09-10-2019 09:58 AM

The Daily Sun

Recently more than 30 people died in a boat in California. This was reported in The Daily Sun. How is it then that I only found out 4 months later that a neighbor in The Villages shot himself and his body was found in Lake Deaton, yet this was not reported in the Daily Sun?
Yesterday I read about the start of the (American) football season, yet not a peep about the imminent start of the World Rugby Cup?
Is this paper worth reading? What do other Villagers think?:MOJE_whot:

dewilson58 09-10-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obesurgeon@aol.com (Post 1680226)
Recently more than 30 people died in a boat in California. This was reported in The Daily Sun. How is it then that I only found out 4 months later that a neighbor in The Villages shot himself and his body was found in Lake Deaton, yet this was not reported in the Daily Sun?
Yesterday I read about the start of the (American) football season, yet not a peep about the imminent start of the World Rugby Cup?

Is it worth it???.......Isn't that your personal judgement call??

I didn't think people rely on the Sun for cutting-edge current news.

champion6 09-10-2019 10:52 AM

I think the Daily Sun is worth reading. I look forward to it every day. It is one of several sources I use to get my news - local, state, national and world.

justjim 09-10-2019 11:04 AM

The cost of the Daily Sun is very reasonable compared to any other newspaper that I read, and you don’t have to agree with their editorial’s to get news about The Villages and surrounding communities. I give them an A plus.

retiredguy123 09-10-2019 11:22 AM

Hints from Heloise is the best part. I learned that, if you are buying a wall unit, you should measure your wall before ordering the unit.

gatorbill1 09-10-2019 11:35 AM

It's cheap compared to other "real" newspapers

graciegirl 09-10-2019 11:36 AM

It has always been the policy of the Daily Sun to not report suicides.

Why are suicides not reported in the news unless someone gets ...

Arctic Fox 09-10-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1680261)
Hints from Heloise is the best part. I learned that, if you are buying a wall unit, you should measure your wall before ordering the unit.

Measure twice; buy once

Number 10 GI 09-10-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorbill1 (Post 1680264)
It's cheap compared to other "real" newspapers

There are "real" newspapers?

sophie720 09-10-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

If you enjoy everything else it has to offer, keep reading it! But, for actual cutting edge news, I think the best bet is digital...I get news alerts from a variety of online sources. I feel like printed news is pretty much old news.

Polar Bear 09-10-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

...Is this paper worth reading?...

It’s a local newspaper. Nothing more. Nothing less. Imo.

Bucco 09-10-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 GI (Post 1680282)
There are "real" newspapers?

Not sure if you are serious or not, but just in case, the link below put together by FORBES ranks all major newspapers (Daily Sun is not on the list....:icon_wink:)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlins.../#6fcd7020e9b5

patfla06 09-10-2019 02:29 PM

Think of the Daily Sun as the Hallmark channel of
newspapers.
:)

Northerner52 09-10-2019 02:44 PM

Love it

CFrance 09-10-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1680265)
It has always been the policy of the Daily Sun to not report suicides.

Why are suicides not reported in the news unless someone gets ...

I don't think many other newspapers report suicides either, unless it's someone famous.

Gpsma 09-10-2019 06:52 PM

The Daily Sun is light and entertaining...and keeps u informed of all the wonderful things in TV...and u get coupons.

Of course its the mouthpiece of the esteemed and wonderful developer. Sort of like Pravda back in the days of the USSR

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-10-2019 09:37 PM

Suicides are always reported in the news here in the north (I'm up for the time being), UNLESS it was a member of the military. And even then, if it's military that involved some crime -other- than suicide, it still ends up getting reported. It isn't just because people want to know how other people die. But there's a suicide epidemic going on, and pretending there isn't, doesn't make it go away. It just makes people not realize that it's a problem that needs to be addressed.

There's a lot of news that the Daily Sun chooses to ignore. Sadly, there are people who only read the Daily Sun, or only watch Fox News, or only watch CNN, or only watch the Today Show or whatever else - they limit their scope of the world.

I suggest that you don't limit your scope of the world, OP. If nothing else, the Daily Sun is entertaining. You can read it just for that purpose, and it'd be well worth the dollar. If you want hard news, you can always find it online at the AP and Reuters feeds (which is where most daily and weekly papers get their non-local news).

Fraugoofy 09-10-2019 09:58 PM

This topic is morbid...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

bilcon 09-11-2019 06:02 AM

World Rugby Cup vs American Football. Obviously, I think most residents of TV prefer to have news about Football, even though I like to see a Rugby match occasionally.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."

Marathon Man 09-11-2019 06:30 AM

If it is important to you to read about suicides, then no.

ColdNoMore 09-11-2019 06:37 AM

The 'Happy Paper' has always been a 'daily home sales brochure' sprinkled with a thin veneer of slanted news and some local events/people.

It's relatively dirt cheap though and since you usually get what you pay for, everyone needs to make their own decision...as to whether its worth subscribing.

A few years ago, I personally realized I was mainly only reading the fairly skimpy sports section and decided I could do that online easier and in more depth...so cancelled my subscription.
:shrug:

graciegirl 09-11-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1680443)
The 'Happy Paper' has always been a 'daily home sales brochure' sprinkled with a thin veneer of slanted news and some local events/people.

It's relatively dirt cheap though and since you usually get what you pay for, everyone needs to make their own decision...as to whether its worth subscribing.

A few years ago, I personally realized I was mainly only reading the fairly skimpy sports section and decided I could do that online easier and in more depth...so cancelled my subscription.
:shrug:

The Daily Sun is a unique publication that has improved from earlier days of our life here when there were many typo's and spelling errors. It has come from a bit hokey to quite a bit enjoyable to most Villagers.

It is owned and managed (again) by the developer after a few years of being run by a close friend of the developer. It has a lot of advertising of homes, which is enjoyed and used by many home seekers and those of us who like to see our home prices rise in value. It also serves to bolster an already booming business that really doesn't need advertising.

The National and International News comes from the same news services used by other larger and more powerful newspapers across the country and the world. The opinion pieces echo the slant and interest of the majority of people who live in The Villages. I can't think of a paper that isn't slanted but this is a popular slant for the age group and views of the readers here in The Villages.

The Sun spotlights the many, many activities in The Villages and the varied interests of the inhabitants of this over 55, well kept and well run place that is the fastest growing area of it's kind in the country.

It is inexpensive and interesting to most of us and a nice way to start our day.

The newspapers from Orlando and Tampa offer the slant that the Sun is missing.

It's another beautiful day in The Villages.

B-flat 09-11-2019 07:16 AM

I’ve never seen articles indicating a suicide was committed anywhere be it up north or down south. We had a home in Oak Run Ocala for a few years, my in laws also lived there for 20 years. The only way they or we learned of suicides was thru word of mouth or if you happened to live in the same neighborhood as the person. I don’t think suicides should be public information published in a newspaper.

John_W 09-11-2019 08:56 AM

Has the online newspaper been mentioned? I didn't see any posts that did. They will publish all the crimes, mug shots, suicides, homicides, they don't hold back. It's been around about five years and is not connected to TV. I can't post a link since TOTV blocks their links as a non-advertiser. Try this all together villages - news . com

82-year-old Villager commits suicide in Vista Lago Villas

June 6, 2019

The District 5 Medical Examiner’s Office was called to investigate the apparent suicide of an 82-year-old woman in the Vista Lago Villas in The Villages.

The woman was discovered in the back seat of a running vehicle on May 29 in her garage, according to an incident report from the Lady Lake Police Department. She was discovered by a contractor who had been working on shelving in her garage. The contractor had been given a remote to open the door. He turned off the car and tried to rouse the woman, but realized that she was “beyond help,” the report said.

A search of the home turned up a suicide note, will and other financial documents. An officer was able to locate contact information for the woman’s son in King County, Washington. The King County Sheriff’s Office agreed to send a deputy and chaplain to the son’s address.

The Villager’s body was removed from the scene by the medical examiner’s office.

Woman suffering advanced stages of cancer commits suicide in Village of El Cortez

May 29, 2019

The Medical Examiner’s Office is investigating the apparent suicide of a 79-year-old woman in the Village of El Cortez.

The woman, who was suffering from the advanced stages of cancer, shot herself with a 9mm gun on the morning of May 24, according to an incident report from the Lady Lake Police Department. She was found in the bedroom by her husband.

He and his wife, who was suffering from lung cancer and COPD, had coffee that morning and she then said she was going back into the bedroom to lay down, something her husband told police was “not unusual.” He was in the living room watching television when he heard a shot fired.

The woman’s daughter was also there. She had taken a leave of absence from her job in North Carolina to care for her mother.

eweissenbach 09-11-2019 09:13 AM

I subscribe to the DS when I am in TV. It is cheap and gives me information about The Villages, including the entertainment at the squares, human interest stories about neighbors, open houses, restaurant coupons, recreation and golf news, etc. I don't look to it for hard news or editorial content. I subscribe to The Kansas City Star and the Washington Post online for that news. The Daily Sun is what it is - primarily a marketing tool for the developer, and if you take it for what it is, it is fine.

Number 10 GI 09-11-2019 09:15 AM

I like the Daily Sun. I get enough doom and gloom, death and destruction and hate from the evening news and on-line sources. I don't want to wake up in the morning and read about murders, rapes, robberies or suicides, not a great way to start off the day. As to suicides, this type of death is probably the hardest for a family to deal with and to have it published in a newspaper for all to read is adding insult to injury. I once knew a man whose daughter committed suicide. Years after her death he was still questioning what he had done wrong or how he missed the behavior that led up to her death.

John_W 09-11-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 GI (Post 1680494)
I like the Daily Sun. I get enough doom and gloom, death and destruction and hate from the evening news and on-line sources. I don't want to wake up in the morning and read about murders, rapes, robberies or suicides, not a great way to start off the day...

I agree with this 100%. I didn't read the newspaper until I moved here 8 years ago. It started on our LSV when they delivered a newspaper to the driveway every morning. It gives great info for a new resident or visitor of what's going on, the movies, open houses, clubs, etc. If I wanted doom and gloom, all you have to do is put on the national news.

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-11-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1680482)
Has the online newspaper been mentioned? I didn't see any posts that did. They will publish all the crimes, mug shots, suicides, homicides, they don't hold back. It's been around about five years and is not connected to TV. I can't post a link since TOTV blocks their links as a non-advertiser. Try this all together villages - news . com

John W, that particular online local "news" rag is just as bad at "reporting" negative information as the DS is at "reporting" only positive information. It's actually worse since it does zero fact-checking, doesn't have datelines (most "reporting" is done by "Staff Reporter"), there's little to no accountability, and it seeks to shock and agitate the reader with its headlines.

In actual journalism, something that seems to have been forgotten among even the seniors among us, the questions who, what, when, where, why, and how are answered. If someone shoots themselves in their house, then the article would be:

Quote:

Joe Smith was found dead from a gunshot wound at his home in Village of Blah Blah, last night at 7:30PM. Officer Obie entered the home as the result of 911 calls from several neighbors, who heard the gunfire. Six officers of the Sumter County police force secured the home, and Joe Smith was pronounced dead at the scene. No sign of foul play was found after a three-hour search of the property. Mr. Smith was suffering from inoperable liver cancer, according to his wife Cindy, who was playing mahjongg next door when the shots were reported. The event is being treated as a suicide, but the coroner's report won't be expected for at least the next 48 hours.

JP 09-11-2019 10:48 AM

I like The Daily Sun and find it quite informative and refreshing in a journalistic world that has become extreme sensationalism and political agendas.

NotFromAroundHere 09-11-2019 12:18 PM

My grandfather ran "the smallest daily newspaper in Indiana". When he purchased it, he cancelled the subscriptions to AP and UPI to focus on local news. Farm reports, high school sports, weddings, anniversaries, social articles from outlying communities, etc. When asked if he missed "real" journalism he said, "Of course it's corny, but corn brings a good price".

valuemkt 09-11-2019 01:56 PM

It is a decent feel good newsletter for local happenings. Good to know what local entertainment items are coming up .. not just the squares, but also the Sharon, Savannah, movies etc, which restaurants are running specials, fundraisers (like yesterdays Honor Flight at Codys Brownwood), blood drives etc .. I've also learned the word neuropathy, which seems to appear on every other page in the paper. The circulation people are outstanding, making it easy to turn delivery off and on. Unlike other people, I like the Thursday inclusion of recreation news in print, vs having to eye strain it online. Most days, its a quick ten minute scan, unless I'm having trouble with the word jumble. It's also great for short term tenants and snowbirds. I get my outside the bubble news and sports in other places.

M2inOR 09-12-2019 04:08 PM

I'm about to become a new resident.

When I've visited prior to purchasing a new home, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Daily Sun. The newspaper is quite useful for newcomers or those considering a move to The Villages.

Our local Portland Oregonian pales in comparison; it is suffering like most of the newspapers across the US.

Fortunately we also have home delivery here in Oregon of the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times. And online I have access to the Washington Post.

Even with those newspapers available to me everyday, even when I travel, none of them reports "all the news".

My only complaint with the Daily Sun is that there is not on-line, complete version of the paper. I have talked to reporters and office personnel at the Daily Sun office in Brownwood asking them why not. Thus far, it's a business decision for them. I encouraged them to consider a complete replica edition for travelers like me.

I do get the daily email summary, so it helps a little.

Mike

Schaumburger 09-12-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2inOR (Post 1680805)
I'm about to become a new resident.

When I've visited prior to purchasing a new home, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Daily Sun. The newspaper is quite useful for newcomers or those considering a move to The Villages.

Our local Portland Oregonian pales in comparison; it is suffering like most of the newspapers across the US.

Fortunately we also have home delivery here in Oregon of the Wall Street Journal and the NY Times. And online I have access to the Washington Post.

Even with those newspapers available to me everyday, even when I travel, none of them reports "all the news".

My only complaint with the Daily Sun is that there is not on-line, complete version of the paper. I have talked to reporters and office personnel at the Daily Sun office in Brownwood asking them why not. Thus far, it's a business decision for them. I encouraged them to consider a complete replica edition for travelers like me.

I do get the daily ************* email summery, so it helps a little.

Mike

I agree with you about the lack of availability of an on-line complete version of the Daily Sun. For part-time residents/snowbirds, I bet there would be an interest in an online subscription service.

I also enjoy reading the Daily Sun when I am visiting TV.

Yung Dum 09-13-2019 08:50 PM

Is the World Rugby Cup reported anywhere in the U.S.? If so, why?

Velvet 09-13-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yung Dum (Post 1681109)
Is the World Rugby Cup reported anywhere in the U.S.? If so, why?

I remember when I was younger and on a road trip south. I stopped in a town where a man started up a conversation with me. He told me that he had three cars, one was an older Cadillac. He was so proud of it. I asked him where has he travelled and he said oh, as far as 3 miles away.

Yes, that’s why.

John41 09-15-2019 09:15 AM

We enjoy the advice columns, the puzzle page and the local news. The national news coverage is good without the fake news in most of the “real” newspapers.

Bucco 09-15-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John41 (Post 1681472)
We enjoy the advice columns, the puzzle page and the local news. The national news coverage is good without the fake news in most of the “real” newspapers.

With all due respect, could you please define "fake news".

I hear this term and have never had it defined. I know of very few FALSE reports in national news. Can you define and perhaps an example.

Thank you

anothersteve 09-15-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1681492)
With all due respect, could you please define "fake news".

I hear this term and have never had it defined. I know of very few FALSE reports in national news. Can you define and perhaps an example.

Thank you

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Steve

Bucco 09-15-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothersteve (Post 1681494)

I assume you actually read the link you provided and the references contained.

Of course there is fake news being spread from afar and unrestrained. Facebook is a veritable load of false news.

I was speaking to the accusation of "“real” newspapers." as mentioned in the post I responded to.

We had congressional hearings on this subject over a few days and it was shocking to me that this is going on and meanwhile it continues. Using that term fake news when speaking of YOUTUBE , FACEBOOK, etc is accepted yet the folks using that content is increasing.

i was looking for some "fake or false news" in any major legitimate newspaper as was alluded to in this thread.

Polar Bear 09-15-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucco (Post 1681513)
...AGAIN, I hear the term almost daily but yet to find any respected mainstream news source to actually lie and put out fake news ,yet we still see that term used.

For me, the term fake news refers to news sources trying to pass themselves off as unbiased journalists. Often...even when basic facts of a story may be true to one degree or another...the “journalism” in presenting the story is anything but unbiased.

Biased sources trying to pass themselves off as unbiased journalists is rampant. I believe, to many, that is the meaning of the term fake news. And it’s everywhere every day.