Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   TV Radio - Official Alternative to WVLG? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/tv-radio-official-alternative-wvlg-298063/)

Polar Bear 09-10-2019 03:24 PM

TV Radio - Official Alternative to WVLG?

I was just wondering if anybody else would like to listen to an officially sponsored TV radio station, but one that would play an alternative music selection. Mix a bunch of styles, including some current and top 40 type stuff.

I like WVLG, but I simply don't want to listen to oldies from "our" era all the time. I love the music from our generation as much as the next person. But I also like to listen to a variety of music from various genres and generations. And I think an official Villages station could pull it off without losing overall listeners, possibly even gaining some. :)

Anybody else out there feel this way?

JackRussell 09-10-2019 03:51 PM

If they really wanted an audience they'd do a talk show.

champion6 09-10-2019 04:29 PM

One official Villages station is enough, regardless of the mix of music that is played.

gatorbill1 09-10-2019 05:04 PM

I listen to 92.3 fm - country western - ocala, gainesville etc - listen to village station during breakfast only

EdFNJ 09-10-2019 06:18 PM

With all of this and more: Pandora (free), Spotify (free or $Sub, Apple Music (free trial or free if you have Verizon or $$), Amazon Music (free with Prime as well as a free version), Google Music (free and $sub), pirating :) (free) ... lots of options to create your own "station" with every single song or genre you could ever wish for and generally no advertising. That's probably why they don't bother due to the required costs and expenses of another commercial radio station. Then when you are ready for weather reports or (happy) news you can jump back to WVLJ or real news you can go back to the same place all the music comes from. "Radio" is going the way of the 8 Track, cassette, and now DVD but like books made of paper there are always plenty of people to listen or read so they hang on .... for now until the majority our gen starts pushing up daisies.

kcrazorbackfan 09-10-2019 07:15 PM

I listen to WVLG (102.7) when working out in the garage. When walking in the mornings or driving in the car/cart, I listen to Sirius/XM's Classic Vinyl or Ozzy's Boneyard.

Nucky 09-10-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1680399)
I listen to WVLG (102.7) when working out in the garage. When walking in the mornings or driving in the car/cart, I listen to Sirius/XM's Classic Vinyl or Ozzy's Boneyard.

What no Metallica? That's just great. I thought I was the only one. I like all music but blame my hearing loss on so many concerts at Madison Square Garden. Almost all of them were Hard Rock! :coolsmiley:

Our Villages Station is great the way it is for me.

circletrack 09-10-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1680339)
I was just wondering if anybody else would like to listen to an officially sponsored TV radio station, but one that would play an alternative music selection. Mix a bunch of styles, including some current and top 40 type stuff.

I like WVLG, but I simply don't want to listen to oldies from "our" era all the time. I love the music from our generation as much as the next person. But I also like to listen to a variety of music from various genres and generations. And I think an official Villages station could pull it off without losing overall listeners, possibly even gaining some. :)

Anybody else out there feel this way?

If you look at past threads on WVLG you’ll find people complaining that they are shifting to exactly what you say you are looking for.

The past couple of years they started playing newer music.

Steve-Ryzel 09-11-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackRussell (Post 1680352)
If they really wanted an audience they'd do a talk show.

Call in talk show : )

John_W 09-11-2019 08:48 AM

In my car I have XM/Sirius since 2012, $150 a year and you have a 100 choices commericial free. In the back yard I listen to Sunny 105.9 Orlando, 80's hits pop/rock or WJRR 101.1 hard rock/metal Orlando. In the garage I listen to WIND 95.5 classic rock Ocala/Gainesville or WMMO 98.9 classic rock Orlando.

Sunny 105.9

WJRR 101.1

WIND 95.5

WMMO 98.9

Polar Bear 09-11-2019 09:43 AM

Lots of good music/radio info here.

I also have my own music sources. I use mostly Prime Music Unlimited and iHeartRadio. My op was mainly driven by those times when I'm a "captive audience", like at the swimming pools. It would be nice to have some variety at those times. :)

justjim 09-11-2019 09:54 AM

A call in talk show would likely go over in The Villages. A lot of Villagers like to hear themselves talk.

dewilson58 09-11-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 1680514)
A call in talk show would likely go over in The Villages. A lot of Villagers like to hear themselves talk.

Yes. I think it would turn very negative, very quickly.

DJ's would have to have their finger on the mute button.

EdFNJ 09-11-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1680479)
In my car I have XM/Sirius since 2012, $150 a year and you have a 100 choices commericial free. In the back yard I listen to Sunny 105.9 Orlando, 80's hits pop/rock or WJRR 101.1 hard rock/metal Orlando. In the garage I listen to WIND 95.5 classic rock Ocala/Gainesville or WMMO 98.9 classic rock Orlando.

Sunny 105.9

WJRR 101.1

WIND 95.5

WMMO 98.9

You may not have noticed but you can now listen to (stream) with the XM/Sirius app on your smartphone even without the FULL package. They just added app listening to all the packages. It used to be only for the "all access" package. Now it's for all.

kcrazorbackfan 09-11-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1680414)
What no Metallica? That's just great. I thought I was the only one. I like all music but blame my hearing loss on so many concerts at Madison Square Garden. Almost all of them were Hard Rock! :coolsmiley:

Our Villages Station is great the way it is for me.

Oops! Overlooked Metallica, a awesome band. Led Zeppelin was playing the other day and I made the comment to my wife that there aren’t any bands like this anymore.

I like WVLG the way it is also.