Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   White Water related deposits on fixtures (Calicum?) (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/white-water-related-deposits-fixtures-calicum-298109/)

Tom C 09-11-2019 04:06 PM

White Water related deposits on fixtures (Calicum?)

I have found that our sink fixtures and shower fixtures have a lot of white (calcium?) water-related spots on them. The sink stoppers and shower hoses are especially spotted. The sink stoppers are easy enough to remove and polish clean with a bit of elbow grease and non-scratching cleaner, however the ~36-inch metal clad shower head hose would be impossible to clean this way.

My Questions:
1) What is a good cleaner? (looking for a soak only option, vinegar? Lemon juice? Some other commercial product?)

2) What is a good prevention? (I wanted to ask here before going to any of those water treatment places as I think I will get better info here.... I think everyone understands that I am not looking for a salesman’s response... )

Thank you for your helpful information in advance! :coolsmiley:

Rango 09-11-2019 04:48 PM

Vinegar

OpusX1 09-11-2019 05:17 PM

CLR. You can get it at a hardware store.

Debfrommaine 09-11-2019 05:18 PM

Vinegar

vintageogauge 09-11-2019 05:37 PM

Get a Nova water softener and you won't have those deposits, we had them and now, nearly two years later after installing the Nova system, no more calcium spots or buildup.

Sage327 09-11-2019 06:25 PM

Brasso is a metal cleaner and polisher

retiredguy123 09-11-2019 07:01 PM

If you routinely spray everything in the shower with one of those daily shower cleaners while the shower is still wet, it will prevent calcium buildup, especially on the shower walls and glass. Once it builds up, it is very difficult to clean. Other than that, I think a whole house water softener would be the only real solution.

MSchad 09-11-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1680621)
Get a Nova water softener and you won't have those deposits, we had them and now, nearly two years later after installing the Nova system, no more calcium spots or buildup.

Totally agree with water filters and softener. Why continuously clean, and clean, and clean, when you can prevent the deposits.

Carla B 09-12-2019 06:57 AM

So will the filter alone stop them or do you need the softener also?

retiredguy123 09-12-2019 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 1680704)

The water in The Villages is pretty good as compared with other water systems I have used. So, I don't think either a filter or a softener is needed. But, a softener is specifically designed to prevent calcium deposits. I don't understand why someone would want to filter all the water in the house. I also don't like the idea that water is sitting in these systems without circulating all the time. I have a concern that the water could become contaminated. I also know that some people will disagree with everything I said.

vintageogauge 09-12-2019 07:44 AM

The filters won't remove the calcium the Nova softener will. We have both Nova systems and have great water, clear ice, and no need for a fridge filter.

Martian 09-12-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla B (Post 1680704)

Water filters remove contamination like Chlorine, which affect the taste and some may potentially be unhealthy.

Water softeners "soften" water. They do not remove calcium, they change it into a different form that won't build up on water fixtures, won't require you to use more soap in the laundry, etc.

Also, there is a "myth" that salt based water softeners can be bad for people on limited sodium diets. This is NOT true. All of the research indicates there is no significant amounts of sodium in the water if the softener is working correctly.

However, a couple con's to salt based water softeners:

1. It is hard to make good coffee or tea with soft water. You can use it, but the coffee/tea flavor will not be extracted as well and you will notice the grinds tend to "float" and may escape the coffee filter and get into the coffee. We buy bottled spring water specifically for making coffee and tea.

2. Periodically the water softener back flushes (cleans) itself with salt water. When it does this it needs to dump the salt water someplace. In most cases this would be piped to the septic or sewer drainage pipes. But that is not always possible (or cost effective) depending on where the drain pipes are and where your water supply comes into your house. Some people just let it dump onto the ground outside the house, but that could kill some kinds of plants. So, be sure to discuss this with the contractor installing the softener.

vintageogauge 09-12-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martian (Post 1680723)
Water filters remove contamination like Chlorine, which affect the taste and some may potentially be unhealthy.

Water softeners "soften" water. They do not remove calcium, they change it into a different form that won't build up on water fixtures, won't require you to use more soap in the laundry, etc.

Also, there is a "myth" that salt based water softeners can be bad for people on limited sodium diets. This is NOT true. All of the research indicates there is no significant amounts of sodium in the water if the softener is working correctly.

However, a couple con's to salt based water softeners:

1. It is hard to make good coffee or tea with soft water. You can use it, but the coffee/tea flavor will not be extracted as well and you will notice the grinds tend to "float" and may escape the coffee filter and get into the coffee. We buy bottled spring water specifically for making coffee and tea.

2. Periodically the water softener back flushes (cleans) itself with salt water. When it does this it needs to dump the salt water someplace. In most cases this would be piped to the septic or sewer drainage pipes. But that is not always possible (or cost effective) depending on where the drain pipes are and where your water supply comes into your house. Some people just let it dump onto the ground outside the house, but that could kill some kinds of plants. So, be sure to discuss this with the contractor installing the softener.

Water conditioners, which are more expensive than softeners, condition water so that the calcium and magnesium won't build up. Water softeners remove calcium and magnesium with sodium or potassium and flush away the calcium and magnesium when it back flushes. Softeners are the way to go and much less expensive. The complete Nova system with 3 stage whole house filters and the softener system is around $1,600.00. Give them a call and they'll explain it all without giving you a hard sales pitch.

Martian 09-12-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 1680745)
Water conditioners, which are more expensive than softeners, condition water so that the calcium and magnesium won't build up. Water softeners remove calcium and magnesium with sodium or potassium and flush away the calcium and magnesium when it back flushes. Softeners are the way to go and much less expensive. The complete Nova system with 3 stage whole house filters and the softener system is around $1,600.00. Give them a call and they'll explain it all without giving you a hard sales pitch.

Agree, I am using them to put in my system.

Tom C 09-12-2019 09:58 AM

Thank you all for the helpful and positive responses:coolsmiley:. I appreciate the help and detailed information.:mademyday: