Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   2019’s Best Places to Retire in Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/2019s-best-places-retire-florida-298145/)

Steve-Ryzel 09-13-2019 08:13 AM

2019’s Best Places to Retire in Florida

Here's something to chew on...

2019’s Best Places to Retire in Florida

Podcast interview on this:
Surprise! You're Not Going To Believe Which Florida Cities Are Best To Retire In

manaboutown 09-13-2019 08:25 AM

So TV was rated as having the worst healthcare and as #114 overall out of 115 places to retire in Florida? Oh my!

dewilson58 09-13-2019 08:39 AM

I guess I have to move now.

gatorbill1 09-13-2019 08:59 AM

I guess nobody will move here now??? Don't hold your breath.

retiredguy123 09-13-2019 08:59 AM

Sometimes I wonder if they just make this stuff up. If you read the methodology, can someone explain how they could possibly rank The Villages near the bottom of the list for "activities"?

Nucky 09-13-2019 09:46 AM

All the investigation I did before leaving the north turned out to be mainly true. The Villages has really turned out to be a perfect fit for us. How Wallethub could rate us so poorly is a shock to me. But then again, who the hell are they? Get lost.

I like that the OP took the time to post this, thank you.

The only thing that has been a surprise since we landed here has been the weather. Based on past history which was a big factor in our choice the recent change in the storm systems has been a drawback for me. I'm just being honest. I'm also not leaving. Not a chance, I guess the rough weather is the price for living in such a fine place. It's worth the tradeoff for sure.

Chatbrat 09-13-2019 09:52 AM

I have to agree with the healthcare rating--if you have something serious be prepared to go to Shands or Waterman---because of the density of seniors, especially during snow bird season, the local medical facilities are stressed almost to the breaking point--everthing else in TV is ok--however; there is very little diversity when it comes to non cookie cutter dining

JimJohnson 09-13-2019 10:39 AM

Quality of life 3 and activities 113. Something smells. As far as healthcare, last humm.

Velvet 09-13-2019 11:00 AM

Categorically disagree with the findings of the above study. The health care in TV is likely correct, but the activity score is not. The weighing of variables are not correct either as equal weight is given for unequally important things.

Before hubby and I chose TV, we went all around Florida. I had a bias as my family had lived in TV. My uncle was a world traveler all his life and after many different places chose TV to settle into. He not only looked into Florida, but many other countries in the world, and he spoke fluently in 7 languages. His choice alone told me that TV was special.

I’m not saying there is nothing better out there, but when all factors were considered, TV was pretty damn good! And keeps getting better. Silly study!

Chatbrat 09-13-2019 11:43 AM

Activities is a total FUBAR

coffeebean 09-13-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1680920)
Sometimes I wonder if they just make this stuff up. If you read the methodology, can someone explain how they could possibly rank The Villages near the bottom of the list for "activities"?

That is ludicrous. I don't believe any of it! I've lived in Mirarmar and worked in North Miami Beach. There is absolutely no way North Miami Beach or Miramar should rank higher than The Villages in any of the rankings. BTW......Johnny Depp lived in Miramar during his teen years, Some of the other cities around this area do not measure up either. I don't believe this ranking at all.

coffeebean 09-13-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1680978)

Absolutely agree. Something just doesn't add up with those rankings. I tend to agree only with the health care which is a very big consideration when looking for a place to retire. The other rankings (besides "quality of life") is hogwash.

eweissenbach 09-13-2019 03:29 PM

Subjective, unscientific clickbait. Who cares?

Aloha1 09-13-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1680978)

Yes,but it's a typical SNAFU.

twoplanekid 09-13-2019 09:18 PM

Same discussion took place last month in this thread -> https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...cities-297272/

see my post #13 in the above thread