Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Carl Icahn is moving from Manhattan to Florida. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/carl-icahn-moving-manhattan-florida-298152/)

graciegirl 09-13-2019 10:19 AM

Carl Icahn is moving from Manhattan to Florida.

He is giving anyone working for him 50K to relocate or he will give them a severance fee.

I find him to be an interesting man. Here are some of his quotes;

You learn in this business: It you want a friend, get a dog.
Don't go in and tell somebody else how to run their business.
I enjoy the hunt much more than the 'good life' after the victory.
My wife watches me like a hawk.
Anyone that makes me a quarter of a billion dollars, I like.
When you have no one to answer to, vendetta as investment strategy is as legitimate as anything.
In 2008, people who invested in hedge funds needed capital badly, but many of the funds would not return their money. However, I gave money back to any investor who requested it. It was the bottom of the market and a pretty tough time.
I'm a cynic about corporate democracy and boards.

eweissenbach 09-13-2019 03:42 PM

I doubt the employees of many of the companies he raided and stripped of their assets and pensions would agree he was an interesting man. Probably have some different descriptive terms.

starflyte1 09-13-2019 03:59 PM

Yes, that he did. Same as Frank Lorenzo.

manaboutown 09-13-2019 04:12 PM

He is 82, probably looking at his estate tax issues as well as income tax and other costs.

rjm1cc 09-13-2019 04:13 PM

I would be interested in how much NY loses in taxes?
I lived in a different state but the majority of high paid individuals in the Company I worked for moved to a no income tax state when they approached retirement age.

graciegirl 09-13-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1681029)
I doubt the employees of many of the companies he raided and stripped of their assets and pensions would agree he was an interesting man. Probably have some different descriptive terms.

He broke the law? I will have to look it up. This is the first I had heard of him.

Here is what Wikipedia had to say. Apparently he is a "corporate raider" but that is something I know nothing about.

Carl Icahn - Wikipedia

ColdNoMore 09-13-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 1681029)

YEP...nailed it! :thumbup:

BobnBev 09-13-2019 06:06 PM

Whatever

I never heard of him.......I wonder if he's heard of me?:clap2::MOJE_whot::ho::boom:

eweissenbach 09-13-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobnBev (Post 1681078)
I never heard of him.......I wonder if he's heard of me?:clap2::MOJE_whot::ho::boom:

You are lucky you never heard of him. Probably means he never raided a company you were a part of.

Chi-Town 09-13-2019 09:07 PM

From Manhattan to Miami. Not exactly a Green Acres move but still a culture shock. Hopefully they will still make NYC dollars.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Altavia 09-13-2019 09:27 PM

He's not alone. According to this article, 63,772 moved to FL from NY last year, with 452,580 people leaving the state in total.

New York vs. Florida: Tax differences between the two states | Fox Business

Mleeja 09-14-2019 11:02 AM

Many of the companies he bought and reorganized would not be in business today without his intervention. They were probably bloated with management, stale, money losing operations, and loaded with inefficiencies. Is it better to cut off an arm and the body live or just let the whole body die? It is business folks, not a social gathering.

graciegirl 09-14-2019 11:20 AM

carl icahn's house in miami - Bing

eweissenbach 09-14-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mleeja (Post 1681229)
Many of the companies he bought and reorganized would not be in business today without his intervention. They were probably bloated with management, stale, money losing operations, and loaded with inefficiencies. Is it better to cut off an arm and the body live or just let the whole body die? It is business folks, not a social gathering.

That's what he would like you to believe. Robin Hood

Nucky 09-14-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1681235)

Our Landscapers Sister In Laws Hairdressers Housekeeper said he was moving into the Historical Section of The Villages.

As long as its not near us we would be thrilled. Everyone has an opinion? Yeah? He is not such a Nice Person. It was and is fashionable to be a killer in business Yeah? Live By The Sword.....:blahblahblah: He's a Low Life!