Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Number of homes occupied by people under 55. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/number-homes-occupied-people-under-55-a-298193/)

andercat 09-14-2019 09:26 PM

Number of homes occupied by people under 55.

I worry about our (The Villages) compliance with the number of homes occupied by people younger than 55. The Federal rules says that the exemption for age-restricted communities requires that at least 80 percent of the homes be occupied with somebody 55 or older. The law also requires the communities to publicize the age rules and enforce them, and verifying ages at least every other year. If the association fails to keep track of the number of seniors living in its community, or if it fails to do surveys every other year, it could fall out of compliance.
My husband and I had to verify our ages 5 years ago when we moved in, but we have never been surveyed again. I guess they figure we can’t be getting younger.
Are the ages of renters verified? Notice the law does not say that the home must be owned by someone over 55, it says occupied by someone over 55.
I’ve heard folks say that we have over 60,00 homes. 20% of 60,000 is 12,000 homes. Do you think there are that many homes that have no one age 55+ occupying them?
I have spoken to people that buy a second homes and let their adult children (under are 55) live in the home. I have been told by people that they were under 55 when they bought from The Villages and the sales representative knew their ages. Many owners rent to younger people. How can The Villages keep track of the ages of renters that just rent for a few days or weeks? I hope the community does not go below the 80%.
I lived in Sun City West before moving to The Villages. They were very strict about the age of buyers and renters. (No short term renting was allowed. Had to be six months or more.) They checked everyone. About the only exception was if one spouse was under 55 and their older spouse died, the younger spouse could stay. It feels like The Villages is rather laissez faire. I hope I am worrying over a big nothing but compared to where we lived before it seems rather lax.

manaboutown 09-14-2019 10:19 PM

Two problematical situations exist. Some older seniors have deadbeat adult children living with them, ex-cons, drug addicts and such. The second is some under 19 year olds, even school age children, reside with parents and/or grandparents in TV. Internal deed restrictions do not appear to be enforced. Check the on-line new source.

Fraugoofy 09-15-2019 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andercat (Post 1681397)
I worry about our (The Villages) compliance with the number of homes occupied by people younger than 55. The Federal rules says that the exemption for age-restricted communities requires that at least 80 percent of the homes be occupied with somebody 55 or older. The law also requires the communities to publicize the age rules and enforce them, and verifying ages at least every other year. If the association fails to keep track of the number of seniors living in its community, or if it fails to do surveys every other year, it could fall out of compliance.

My husband and I had to verify our ages 5 years ago when we moved in, but we have never been surveyed again. I guess they figure we can’t be getting younger.

Are the ages of renters verified? Notice the law does not say that the home must be owned by someone over 55, it says occupied by someone over 55.

I’ve heard folks say that we have over 60,00 homes. 20% of 60,000 is 12,000 homes. Do you think there are that many homes that have no one age 55+ occupying them?

I have spoken to people that buy a second homes and let their adult children (under are 55) live in the home. I have been told by people that they were under 55 when they bought from The Villages and the sales representative knew their ages. Many owners rent to younger people. How can The Villages keep track of the ages of renters that just rent for a few days or weeks? I hope the community does not go below the 80%.

I lived in Sun City West before moving to The Villages. They were very strict about the age of buyers and renters. (No short term renting was allowed. Had to be six months or more.) They checked everyone. About the only exception was if one spouse was under 55 and their older spouse died, the younger spouse could stay. It feels like The Villages is rather laissez faire. I hope I am worrying over a big nothing but compared to where we lived before it seems rather lax.

I hear Sun City is really nice. What attracted you to TV?

I purchased my first home at age 42. My second at age 43 and am about to purchase my third at age 50.

I don't rent to people under age 55.

My neighbors comment on how helpful I am since I can help with things they can no longer do...

I am thankful to live in such a welcoming neighborhood.

There are over 2000 clubs here. Finding a hobby usually helps with people who worry..

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

graciegirl 09-15-2019 05:07 AM

Quote:

Don't worry. It is all o.k.:popcorn: Ages are known to the unseen powers.

biker1 09-15-2019 06:23 AM

The Villages knows the ages via The Villages ID cards. If you don't have a Villages ID card I guess you can fall through the cracks. I suspect that is a small number.

Quote:

Are the ages of renters verified?
Notice the law does not say that the home must be owned by someone over 55, it says occupied by someone over 55.

charmed59 09-15-2019 07:06 AM

I’d guess the Villages tracks ages through the Villages I’d cards. If homes are rented out the Village id cards for those homes are turned in, and for $50 can be transferred to renters. The information used in that transfer includes the ages of those using the cards.

Twelve thousand is a lot of homes with no one living in them over 55. Of all the people I’ve met in the Villages I can only come up with two homes that have no one over 55. In my Village there are zero. I’d guess over 95% of homes have someone living in them over the age of 55.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 09-15-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1681411)
Two problematical situations exist. Some older seniors have deadbeat adult children living with them, ex-cons, drug addicts and such. The second is some under 19 year olds, even school age children, reside with parents and/or grandparents in TV. Internal deed restrictions do not appear to be enforced. Check the on-line new source.

The fact that adult children are living with their parents in some homes may be problematic to some, but it is within the law and nothing can be done about it.

Children under the age of 19 are not allowed to live in The Villages. There are probably some, but I really don't see it as a major problem. I believe that they are few and far between. I'm not saying that if discovered that they shouldn't be dealt with, but I really don't want to spend my retirement and the last years of my life worrying about trivial stuff.

I love my life here and if there are a few people breaking the rules, I can't be bothered getting upset about it.

CFrance 09-15-2019 02:30 PM

This was just dragged through the wringer in a recent thread. There is something like 7.5% of TV houses belonging to people under 55--well within the LEGAL guidelines.

Packer Fan 09-15-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

You must be really bored to worry about this. I bought my first house in TV when I was 51 and my second when I was 54. When I bought the first I asked about this and was told TV had been around 8% under 55 for a long time, and if anything was falling as a percent. I was also told it was closely tracked with the Temp ID system.

Where exactly do you get the evidence that many owners rent to people under 55? I always prefer to rent to older people, and I think I have only rented to people even IN thier mid 50s once. The reality is that to rent for a month at a time you just about have to be retired, and most retired people are over 55.

Hope that answers your questions. Stop worrying. (BTW, I am 56 and plan on moving to TV in a few years when I retire, love TV)

Marathon Man 09-15-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

My husband and I had to verify our ages 5 years ago when we moved in, but we have never been surveyed again.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't let this one pass.

I'm pretty sure that you are five years older.

Marathon Man 09-15-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1681411)

Neither of these play into the 80/20 rule.

EdFNJ 09-15-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 1681579)
I'm sorry, but I couldn't let this one pass.

I'm pretty sure that you are five years older.

THAT was worth the price of admission! LMAO! :highfive: