Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   I don’t know what that “thanks” thing is, but I don’t like it (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/i-dont-know-what-thanks-thing-but-i-dont-like-298247/)

Boomer 09-16-2019 01:07 PM

I don’t know what that “thanks” thing is, but I don’t like it

I don’t know what it is — but I don’t like it. :(

What is that thing that has appeared underneath our join date and number of posts?

Why would we need or want a “thanks” calculator? Geez.

I just don’t get it.

It looks to me like some form of pathetic popularity contest that will soon devolve into an “Us vs. Them” and I do not think it bodes well for forum participation.

You’re welcome.

Mudder 09-16-2019 01:12 PM

Totally agree!

eweissenbach 09-16-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1681894)

What is that thing that has appeared underneath our join date and number of posts?

I just don’t get it.

It looks to me like some form of pathetic popularity contest that will soon devolve into an “Us vs. Them” and I do not think it bodes well for forum participation.

You’re welcome.

Thanks!

billethkid 09-16-2019 01:38 PM

Ridiculous!!!

Fits in right along with my need to measure passing clouds!!!!

Maybe the creator/perpetrator had the foresight to have programmed an opt out option!!!!

Kenswing 09-16-2019 01:40 PM

Maybe we'll get a participation trophy next.. lol

Bucco 09-16-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1681894)

I just don’t get it.

You’re welcome.

This will become a "collectors" item, much as "friends" are.

Notice the opportunity to rate threads ?

You had to know this was coming...the competition has been ongoing and now it will be manifested like some like it.

Velvet 09-16-2019 02:13 PM

Don’t like it either.

graciegirl 09-16-2019 02:18 PM

I don't think it is anything but someone pushing the wrong button.

Someone screwed up something.

I don't see any "opportunity to rate threads" anywhere Bucco. Show us.

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-16-2019 02:20 PM

Y'all are stuck in the 1970's. Get with the times. MOST fora around the internetwebz have reputation points, or up/down voting. This particular forum now has the rep version. You can't downvote. You can only upvote. So if someone is typically incredibly helpful most of the time, NEW users will know to look for nuggets of wisdom and help from these members. Other members might also be very useful, but "these members" are actually known for it.

It also shows that this member is appreciative of other members, because it includes the number of thanks they have given, in addition to the number of thanks they have received.

I'm so accustomed to this inclusion, that I was actually surprised when I first came here and saw that it wasn't included. It feels weird to not be able to "rep" someone for an especially helpful post.

Velvet 09-16-2019 02:23 PM

I find it insidious and childish, but if you guys are used to it, I can live with it.

Kenswing 09-16-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1681919)
I don't think it is anything but someone pushing the wrong button.

Someone screwed up something.

I don't see any "opportunity to rate threads" anywhere Bucco. Show us.

Upper right of the page just below the advertisements is a pull down menu..

Kenswing 09-16-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1681921)
Y'all are stuck in the 1970's. Get with the times. MOST fora around the internetwebz have reputation points, or up/down voting. This particular forum now has the rep version. You can't downvote. You can only upvote. So if someone is typically incredibly helpful most of the time, NEW users will know to look for nuggets of wisdom and help from these members. Other members might also be very useful, but "these members" are actually known for it.

It also shows that this member is appreciative of other members, because it includes the number of thanks they have given, in addition to the number of thanks they have received.

I'm so accustomed to this inclusion, that I was actually surprised when I first came here and saw that it wasn't included. It feels weird to not be able to "rep" someone for an especially helpful post.

On this forum it will turn into NOTHING but a popularity contest. Garbage in, garbage out..

redwitch 09-16-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1681921)

Yes, but it was nice that we didn’t. I’ve not seen one forum where the like feature (however named/used) wasn’t absolutely useless. People either “liked” everything or it was a popularity contest, neither of which is particularly helpful but can easily become very hurtful.

Carla B 09-16-2019 02:38 PM

It ranks right along with reality shows. NO THANKS.

retiredguy123 09-16-2019 02:47 PM

///