Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Nuts and bolts of The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/nuts-bolts-villages-139/)
-   -   Dishwasher Smell (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/nuts-bolts-villages-139/dishwasher-smell-298330/)

SB8476 09-19-2019 07:33 AM

Dishwasher Smell

Our dishwasher leaves a foul smell on our dishes. We have cleaned the dishwasher filter, used numerous commercial cleaners on the dishwasher’s inside and tried numerous dishwasher cleaner pods. We have even tried different brands of dishware. The dishwasher is a 6-year-old Whirlpool. Has anyone else had this same issue.

Marathon Man 09-19-2019 07:38 AM

As soon it is done cleaning the dishes, open the door and pull the racks out. This will allow the hot dishes, and the inside of the machine, to quickly dry. No musty smell developes.

dewilson58 09-19-2019 07:43 AM

Try bleach (one cup), full cycle.

Then run a regular cycle before dishes.

Bogie Shooter 09-19-2019 08:03 AM

dishwasher smell - Bing

Nucky 09-19-2019 08:12 AM

Vinegar may work. If that doesn't work then try affresh. It is a Gigantic Tablet that you can use in a Washing Machine, Coffee Maker or a Dishwasher. I would also be sure that there is no big piece of something around the drain before you go thru the treatment process. Also, be sure the dishwasher is draining fully. We run these Tablets thru each appliance on the First of the Month without fail. Good Luck. If all these things don't work I'm afraid you will have to sell the house. :ohdear:

Bjeanj 09-19-2019 09:46 AM

In addition to the above suggestions, do you run your garbage disposal before you run dishwasher? If you do all the above, I don’t have any other suggestions other than call a repair person. I know it can be pricey, but they may have a solution.

villagetinker 09-19-2019 09:55 AM

You might try running the sanatize cycle once in a while, i have done this with excellent results.

villagetinker 09-19-2019 09:56 AM

You might try running the sanitize cycle once in a while, i have done this with excellent results.

DangeloInspections 09-19-2019 01:05 PM

In addition to what everyone else has said, you can also check the following;

1) There is a clear drain hose going from the dishwasher to the garbage disposal. Check that for gunk.

2) Clean all around the gasket.

3) Also check the underside of the rubber drain flap of your garbage disposal. That gets very gunky.

4) Do everything everyone else said in previous posts. I am assuming you already removed the bottom rack, strainer, screen and cleaned out where the small grinder is in the bottom of the dishwasher. That area can get gross.

Hope that helps!

Frank D.

kaydee 09-19-2019 11:01 PM

I have a 1yr old Samsung dishwasher & a sour smell emits from the unit no matter how many dishes are in the unit. I’ve tried every one of the suggestions posted above with the exception of “afresh”. So far nothing has solved the smell. Never had a problem with my old unit

TedfromGA 09-20-2019 06:31 AM

We also have 1yr old Samsung - it smelled. Used 2 cups of vinegar in a small bowl, run the dishwasher through heavy, sanitize cycle once a month. (Also did all the "cleaning" suggested above). So far the vinegar trick has worked. Got this idea from Consumer Reports. The only step left is to dump the Samsung for another brand as we have never had this kind of problem in all the different homes we've lived in - this is our 1st Samsung - maybe a clue....

vinricci 09-20-2019 07:13 PM

Bosch is worse.

Topspinmo 12-03-2019 05:52 PM

IMO Funny thing about dish washer’s, you have to clean the dishes of all food particles before you wash the dishes in the dish washer or you will eventually get buildup of rotting food 🥘 inside the food grinder and drain hose causing the dish washer to stink. Same goes for garbage disposal, too big chunks without enough liquids to wash it down the drain it plugs up. Both of these are disposable appliances.