Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   consumer celluar vs cricket (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/consumer-celluar-vs-cricket-298402/)

784caroline 09-21-2019 06:55 PM

consumer celluar vs cricket

Comparing the 2,what is your preference for cell service

champion6 09-21-2019 06:57 PM

We have been very pleased with Consumer Cellular for several years here in TV. We connect to AT&T towers.

Never used Cricket. Probably never will.

EdFNJ 09-21-2019 08:40 PM

Cricket = ATT. If Consumer Cellular also = ATT as well (as many other MVNO's do also) just choose the one that has a plan that meets your needs. Assuming they are both AT&T you will get the same coverage from both. Looking at the list of MVNO's Consumer Cellular offers BOTH T-Mobile and AT&T as their host systems. Not sure if you can choose.

biker1 09-22-2019 01:51 AM

I had Cricket for about a year - it was fine. However, I wound up switching to Mint Mobile for half the cost - $15/month for unlimited talk and text, and 3 GBytes of data.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 784caroline (Post 1683058)
Comparing the 2,what is your preference for cell service

champion6 09-22-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1683077)
Cricket = ATT. If Consumer Cellular also = ATT as well (as many other MVNO's do also) just choose the one that has a plan that meets your needs. Assuming they are both AT&T you will get the same coverage from both. Looking at the list of MVNO's Consumer Cellular offers BOTH T-Mobile and AT&T as their host systems. Not sure if you can choose.

With Consumer Cellular you CAN CHOOSE to use either the AT&T or the T-Mobile system. CC provides the appropriate SIM card to do that.

New Englander 09-22-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1683088)
I had Cricket for about a year - it was fine. However, I wound up switching to Mint Mobile for half the cost - $15/month for unlimited talk and text, and 3 GBytes of data.

What towers does Mint use?

CWGUY 09-22-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1683172)

Mint operates on T-Mobile's GSM network

JerryLBell 09-22-2019 11:59 AM

Before you switch to anybody, check with folks in your neighborhood to see what they use. We moved into the Village of Dunedin and had Cricket (AT&T towers) and got basically zero bars of service in our house and barely one outside. We ended up going with Verizon, which wasn't perfect but did give us better reception at home. In your neighborhood, the opposite could easily be true. It really would be helpful to have more cell towers scattered throughout The Villages, but nobody likes them in their back yard.

njbchbum 09-22-2019 01:23 PM

Love my Cricket - especially the customer assistance from the staff in Spanish Springs area store! They bent over backwards to get me my first smart phone [an end of life I-phone] and then take more than an hour to unregister my old T-mobile subscription and register the new Cricket subscription AND teach me the basics of using a smart phone! With that kind of customer service it is well worth the monthly fee! And have had no problems with the auto-pay monthly billing feature!

biker1 09-22-2019 01:40 PM

They use T-Mobile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Englander (Post 1683172)

biker1 09-22-2019 01:41 PM

If you enable Wi-FI calling then there won't be an issue inside your home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryLBell (Post 1683186)
Before you switch to anybody, check with folks in your neighborhood to see what they use. We moved into the Village of Dunedin and had Cricket (AT&T towers) and got basically zero bars of service in our house and barely one outside. We ended up going with Verizon, which wasn't perfect but did give us better reception at home. In your neighborhood, the opposite could easily be true. It really would be helpful to have more cell towers scattered throughout The Villages, but nobody likes them in their back yard.

Ben Franklin 09-22-2019 02:05 PM

We've been using Consumer Cellular for roughly 5 years now. When we switched from AT&T to Consumer Cellular, we saved over $45 a month and we got much more.

CWGUY 09-22-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1683214)
They use T-Mobile.

:1rotfl: Wish I had said that! :)

Fraugoofy 09-22-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 1683216)
If you enable Wi-FI calling then there won't be an issue inside your home.

There would be an issue inside your home if you don't have WIFI in your home...

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

biker1 09-22-2019 10:35 PM

Obviously but you don't really know whether he has Wi-Fi or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraugoofy (Post 1683288)
There would be an issue inside your home if you don't have WIFI in your home...

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk