Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Executive Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/)
-   -   Sweetgum condition (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/sweetgum-condition-298542/)

Rickg 09-26-2019 04:38 PM

Sweetgum condition

Golfed Sweetgum this afternoon I thought it just opened. I was very surprised to see the poor shape the T boxes are in. Most were so dry they were bare dirt almost. What’s going to happen when its even busier?

tophcfa 09-26-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickg (Post 1684231)
Golfed Sweetgum this afternoon I thought it just opened. I was very surprised to see the poor shape the T boxes are in. Most were so dry they were bare dirt almost. What’s going to happen when its even busier?

I am surprised to hear the course is so dry, wasn't it closed because of excessive rain?

anothersteve 09-26-2019 05:48 PM

The same with Silver Lake........really crappy condition after being closed, and irrigated, for over two months.

Steve

Bay Kid 09-27-2019 06:52 AM

Darn that is a shame.

karostay 09-27-2019 07:50 AM

Here we go again bad conditions...Sad such a great development cant't get it right

rcjc656 09-27-2019 09:10 AM

Do you think they are trying to get them in the best condition? Or don't care.

karostay 09-27-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcjc656 (Post 1684339)
Do you think they are trying to get them in the best condition? Or don't care.

Pinching pennies..
If you notice not much irrigation on T Boxes
Plus most are undersize .Hence same patch of grass get used over and over no time to recover Just MHO

Aw Man 09-27-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickg (Post 1684231)

I played there this afternoon and disagree with your comment about the T boxes.

EviesGP 09-27-2019 08:12 PM

The courses were all closed only because of the water basin(s)/levels...to protect the houses! Nothing to do with the courses. Unfortunately, they were probably left dormant, while waiting for the water to recede, then try to mow them and get them back in shape. It doesn't appear things worked well for SG? MG opened, but they decided to delay SG a bit more, but that apparently still wasn't sufficient?

anothersteve 09-27-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EviesGP (Post 1684522)
The courses were all closed only because of the water basin(s)/levels...to protect the houses! Nothing to do with the courses. Unfortunately, they were probably left dormant, while waiting for the water to recede, then try to mow them and get them back in shape. It doesn't appear things worked well for SG? MG opened, but they decided to delay SG a bit more, but that apparently still wasn't sufficient?

The reason the courses were closed was to lower the water from the basins (retention ponds) and dump that water onto those courses. Period.
Steve

alanmcdonald 09-28-2019 09:28 AM

I played Sweetgum this morning. The tee boxes were fine. There was one green that has some bare spots (number 8) but I cannot complain about the overall conditions.

justjim 09-28-2019 09:45 AM

It Appears we have different opinions about the playing shape of golf courses. I’ve seen this movie before on TOTV.

Aw Man 09-28-2019 12:35 PM

SweetGum tee boxes are fine

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanmcdonald (Post 1684599)
I played Sweetgum this morning. The tee boxes were fine. There was one green that has some bare spots (number 8) but I cannot complain about the overall conditions.

Thanks for your post.
I played Sweetgum yesterday and also thought the tee boxes were fine.

Bogie Shooter 09-28-2019 02:46 PM

These posts sound like a restaurant review. You don't know who to believe.

Marathon Man 09-28-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1684683)
These posts sound like a restaurant review. You don't know who to believe.

Unfortunately, too many are quick to believe the negative comments.