Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Are some Villages locations better than others? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/some-villages-locations-better-than-others-298594/)

Oldchief5654 09-28-2019 05:58 PM

Are some Villages locations better than others?

Newbie here and not yet a Villages owner. But, we're strongly considering a possible move here.
My question is, are some Villages better or considered more desirable than others? Also, is there much difference in the property tax rates in the counties wherein Villages neighborhoods are located? I'm particularly interested in Marion County Villages locations, as its a bit closer to our 2 of our 3 grown kids, who live in north FL and is also farther away from the Orlando metro area, which I'd like to avoid. I know noting about any of the various Villages developments but it just seems reasonable that some may be better and/or more desirable than others?
Will appreciate input from "seasoned" Villages residents. Thanks!

REDCART 09-28-2019 06:11 PM

You’ve asked a very provocative question and many will no doubt have opinions. SUMTER County has the lowest taxes of the three counties. That’s undisputed! Some villages are closer to shopping than others. Villages located at the fringes of TV, especially those next to undeveloped non-Villages properties, have a high risk of being neighbors with commercial use or some other objectionable development. Proximity to Orlando, even in the most southern of the new villages, is a non issue. You really need to spend time here and judge for yourself. Good luck with your search.

Velvet 09-28-2019 06:19 PM

I asked something similar once and when I got to The Villages, I found each area had its own unique advantages. You have to come and drive around and see what you like. I made a list of what was important to me, some other people may not consider at all, such as strength of EMF waves. We had cancer in the family previously.
I love the area I chose because it’s close to Barnes and Noble as reading is my weakness. Each to their own.

mermaids 09-28-2019 06:22 PM

We purchased in Spanish Springs area and we love the convenient location. We are close to Publix and WinnDixi plus Target, Bealls outlet, Belk, hospital, ect. Taxes seem better here in Sumter county too. We also have friends in Dunnellen and they like having a new house, so guess it depends on your preferences and budget
. Hope this helps. Good luck!

tophcfa 09-28-2019 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REDCART (Post 1684716)
You’ve asked a very provocative question and many will no doubt have opinions. SUMTER County has the lowest taxes of the three counties. That’s undisputed! Some villages are closer to shopping than others. Villages located at the fringes of TV, especially those next to undeveloped non-Villages properties, have a high risk of being neighbors with commercial use or some other objectionable development. Proximity to Orlando, even in the most southern of the new villages, is a non issue. You really need to spend time here and judge for yourself. Good luck with your search.

Agree with the above post, although Sumter's taxes are no longer significantly lower than the other counties after the 25% increase. What areas are better than others is an individual choice, and what is good for some may be totally different for others. The only generalization I will make comparing different areas is that if Championship golf is important to you then avoid the new Villages area south of 44.

jscottb 09-28-2019 06:42 PM

Pick something south of 44 and you can't go wrong.

Tom C 09-28-2019 06:58 PM

It really depends... ( I hate that answer because it says nothing helpful...)

Depends upon what you value and how your ranking of different things. Some of these are: Do you Golf? What type of course do you like? Do you want to be close to a social area (one of the squares)? Do you want no yard maintenance? Do you mind traffic noise? Do you want total privacy? All of these are different in different areas of different villages.....

And of course, How much do you plan to spend?

Trying to be the most helpful I can be I would suggest that you do these things BEFORE looking here or anywhere (if you are seriously looking):

1) Determine your NEEDS (these are must haves)
2) Determine your WANTS (these are additions to your list from 1)
3) Determine your BUDGET (what is the TOP $ you are willing to spend ), and DON'T offer any higher when looking

Be COMPLETE with these lists

Give this info to your realtor and see what they can do. You will tell if you have a good representative if they DO NOT try to push you above your budget (if they do try to push you higher, find another realtor right away - don't waste your time).

P.S.- be sure to look for home in these 3 sources: MLS, VLS and FSBO.

Oldchief5654 09-28-2019 07:42 PM

Thanks to all who have replied so far. Keep your great comments and advice coming! ;>) Should have mentioned in my original post that I could care less about golf. I gave up on it well over 30 years ago, was never much good at it, altho I did once legitimately break 100 with a score of 99 on 18 holes. For me it was aggravating, I didn't find it enjoyable and have absolutely no desire to try it again. I'm more in to boating, fishing, RV'ing, travel and outdoor recreation. I also like old car restoration and woodworking. We have scheduled a 4 day stay in a villa there, around the end of October and hope to learn a lot from that. Thanks again!

coffeebean 09-28-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jscottb (Post 1684726)

I do not agree with this advice. South is not close to big box stores and the shopping/restaurants corridor on 441/27. If shopping is not important to you, by all means, check out the areas south of 44.

Bruce zapolski 09-28-2019 07:55 PM

South of 44 is the future of The Villages nobody has what they have down there but it’s getting better and better and it’s in Sumter County .ck it out

bandsdavis 09-28-2019 08:22 PM

I also disagree

Quote:

Originally Posted by jscottb (Post 1684726)

South of 44 has no Savannah Center, no Sharon, no Studio Theater, and currently no Town Square. While there probably will be a Town Square at some point, I doubt if the most southern areas will get any kind of musical and dramatic venues that are at all comparable to the three I mention for many, many years. The "old" Villages, north of 44 in my opinion will be more "vibrant" for activities, and the areas south of Rt 44 may well be more beautiful places to live.

OrangeBlossomBaby 09-28-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldchief5654 (Post 1684734)
Thanks to all who have replied so far. Keep your great comments and advice coming! ;>) Should have mentioned in my original post that I could care less about golf. I gave up on it well over 30 years ago, was never much good at it, altho I did once legitimately break 100 with a score of 99 on 18 holes. For me it was aggravating, I didn't find it enjoyable and have absolutely no desire to try it again. I'm more in to boating, fishing, RV'ing, travel and outdoor recreation. I also like old car restoration and woodworking. We have scheduled a 4 day stay in a villa there, around the end of October and hope to learn a lot from that. Thanks again!

Due to your specific interests, I would personally suggest somewhere in the vicinity of Spanish Springs (points north, west, south) or the "historic" section, which is northeast and east of Spanish Springs.

Here's why: that is the closest to the Ocala Forest, which has RV, fishing, and outdoor recreation opportunities. Boating is limited to small outboard motors, jetskis, and similar. Canoeing seems to be the most popular boating type on the many streams through the forest.

I would say, even if you want newer construction, that you probably would want to look at homes located between Lake Sumter Landing town square and Spanish Springs town square, in the northeastern sections of The Villages.

The western edge of the forest is only 10-15 minutes' drive from Orange Blossom, which is part of the historic section of the Villages.

Proximity to Orlando is a non-issue as someone mentioned before. It's around an hour away (depending on where you start from and how fast you drive).

The older sections including the actual "historic" section and the other neighborhoods nearest Spanish Springs is closest to the 301 and 441 routes out of the Villages to the north, which you say you are also looking for, due to family living nearby.

You can find a variety of home types in the area, from some of the original tiny 780sf single-wide trailer homes in Silver Lake, to condo-style townhouses right in Spanish Springs (if there are any for sale, I don't see any listed on the Homefinder right now), a few newer construction homes, and a number of 1200+ sf, 2 bed, 2 bath, many with "bonus" rooms that are sometimes used as a third bedroom with no closet.

There are also a smattering of higher end designer homes with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2+ car garages, spas, granite countertops, fireplaces, etc. etc. etc.

Most of this area is older homes. By "old" I mean between 10 and 25 years old (so - barely out of diapers, if you're a New Englander :) )

Carla B 09-28-2019 08:39 PM

As an 11-year resident living between Hwy 466 and 466A, I find all areas attractive. I wouldn't mind living in any village. I could be happy in the historic section or Spanish Springs or Sumter Landing or Marion County or even maybe in the newer areas south of Hwy 44, except for the lack of conveniences near by. They are all good. It's a tribute to the fine planning of the Developers. This place is beautiful.

On the other hand, buying the wrong house in any neighborhood could be a deal breaker. Not knowing what might be built over the fence, busy street, bad neighbors, barking dogs, loud TVs, etc. For instance, I wouldn't choose to live in one of the neighborhoods that empties on to Morse Blvd. N of 466 without a traffic signal; you could wait all day to turn left onto Morse due to the traffic going to/from the hospital/doctors' offices.

So. my opinion is any area in The Villages is great, provided you choose the right property.

Nucky 09-28-2019 09:41 PM

I a way your budget will help you decide where may be best. A Ballpark Range would help people to help you better. Not being nosey at all. Before you put down any of your money be sure to speak with an Insurance agent so there is no surprise on the price for the coverage you desire. Please be aware that in Florida that the age of the roof is very important to many people. Even more so if you have a Mortgage. You also need a Villages agent for their homes and an MLS agent for their homes. Best of luck.

Listen to Carla B, this place is beautiful.

justjim 09-28-2019 11:03 PM

OP, so many variables go into choosing a permanent location. It is difficult to choose a permanent location in a short visit to TV. One idea is to rent for a while (at least three months) to get a “real feel” for the Villages. Think about it if renting prior to buying might be something that makes sense to you. By all means, enjoy your first visit to The Villages as you will find residents willing to share their stories and experiences with you and answer most any question you might have about this place we call The Villages.