Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   How Much Sodium Do You Eat? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/how-much-sodium-do-you-eat-298637/)

retiredguy123 09-30-2019 03:07 PM

How Much Sodium Do You Eat?

The American Heart Association says that the ideal limit for sodium intake for most adults is 1500 mg per day. I think that is totally unrealistic. Can anyone say that they can actually achieve this limit? I think, that if most people followed this guideline, almost every restaurant in The Villages would go out of business. Also, the grocery stores would need to remove most of their canned, frozen, and processed foods from the shelves.

justjim 09-30-2019 04:01 PM

Sodium

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1685149)
The American Heart Association says that the ideal limit for sodium intake for most adults is 1500 mg per day. I think that is totally unrealistic. Can anyone say that they can actually achieve this limit? I think, that if most people followed this guideline, almost every restaurant in The Villages would go out of business. Also, the grocery stores would need to remove most of their canned, frozen, and processed foods from the shelves.

My doctor allows me up to 2500 mg of sodium or less per day. I’ve had bypass surgery. By being very careful, most days my sodium intake will be around 1500 mg. When eating in a restaurant, I am always looking at the lowest possible foods in sodium and also fat. For example when possible, I take my own salad dressing in case the restaurant does not have a suitable salad dressing. My wife is a very good monitor and she and I have mostly plant based meats and occasional fish. In recent months, we still go out to eat with friends but prepare more of our meals at home.

thelegges 09-30-2019 08:21 PM

It’s very doable. Only fresh veggies ( frozen has very little added sodium). We do not use canned anything, but do can ourselves. Never fast food, we may eat out couple times a month but adjust our intake accordingly. It was how we were raised, didn’t have to change much of anything.

Martian 09-30-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 1685235)
It’s very doable. Only fresh veggies ( frozen has very little added sodium). We do not use canned anything, but do can ourselves. Never fast food, we may eat out couple times a month but adjust our intake accordingly. It was how we were raised, didn’t have to change much of anything.

I agree. We make our own bread, soup, etc. We eat mostly veggies and only erat out occasionally.

I stay around 1300 to 1500 most of the time.

JimJohnson 10-01-2019 02:02 AM

Going though a daily normal diet and adding up the mg of sodium, I consume between 5000 and 7000 during a typical day. It was more when I was young, but that is normal for the last 30 or so years. I even add salt to my coffee as it takes away any bitter taste. I far exceed 1500 mg for breakfast. Im over 70 and so far no Ill effects. Keep in mind that fast food makes a fortune by increasing the sodium level to the products and others make a living trying to scare you to death until you use their gimmicks to combat it. Worry about sugar and pour on the salt.