Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Replacing Golf Cart Belts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/replacing-golf-cart-belts-298669/)

dewilson58 10-01-2019 01:10 PM

Replacing Golf Cart Belts

"It's showing wear."

That's what I hear every year.

Of course it's showing wear.

I remember saying that when I worked at a Texaco Station 40 years ago.

How often do you replace your belt??

Has anyone had a belt break??

:mornincoffee:

biker1 10-01-2019 01:51 PM

I replace it when it is worn ;-) If you have a Yamaha, you can measure the width of the belt. The width at which you should replace it is in your owner's manual. Also, if it doesn't start up smoothly replace it (or perhaps your clutches are toast).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1685415)
"It's showing wear."

That's what I hear every year.

Of course it's showing wear.

I remember saying that when I worked at a Texaco Station 40 years ago.

How often do you replace your belt??

Has anyone had a belt break??

:mornincoffee:

Bjeanj 10-01-2019 03:23 PM

Oh, sorry. I thought you were talking about seat belts.

:ohdear:

OnInTwo 10-01-2019 04:38 PM

I have replaced mine once in 23k miles. Keep a spare belt in the garage and plan to wait until this one fails. I see some wear but nothing that is causing any problems.

karostay 10-01-2019 05:04 PM

My 2005 Yamaha drive belt is 8 years old when Willy does he's annual service he checks it
So far clean bill of health

PrudentLifer 10-01-2019 05:26 PM

I replace my 2015 Yamaha drive belt every 18 months or so. It gains about 1.5 mph after replacement, meaning it does start to slip without me feeling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tophcfa 10-01-2019 09:25 PM

It costs about $40 for a good new drive belt. Replace it about every 5 years or 7.5K miles so you don't have to worry about it failing you at an inconvenient moment. It will most likely last much longer, but why risk it?

Topspinmo 10-09-2019 12:04 PM

Depends on you’re driving habits. If you slam the centrifugal clutch in and bang the belt every time you take off then it going to we’re out faster than featuring the centrifugal clutch in. Mine 7 years old 11k miles and looks like new. IMO eventually it will dry rot and start cracking, nothing you can do about age.

Topspinmo 10-09-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrudentLifer (Post 1685490)
I replace my 2015 Yamaha drive belt every 18 months or so. It gains about 1.5 mph after replacement, meaning it does start to slip without me feeling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slipping or wearing causing different wheel speed?

PrudentLifer 10-09-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1687391)
Slipping or wearing causing different wheel speed?

Yep

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell

PrudentLifer 10-09-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1687390)
Depends on you’re driving habits. If you slam the centrifugal clutch in and bang the belt every time you take off then it going to we’re out faster than featuring the centrifugal clutch in. Mine 7 years old 11k miles and looks like new. IMO eventually it will dry rot and start cracking, nothing you can do about age.

Call me Hemi Hunter lead foot [emoji6]

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell

Topspinmo 11-04-2019 07:57 PM

Well, my cart has over 10K miles now and 7 years old. So I changed the belts last week. Got the tune up kit online for 40 some bucks which included two belts, air filter and pre-filter, and spark plug. Drive belt was easy. The generator/starter belt was a bi&H. My adjustment was at least 1/2 adjusted out, which was no problem removal after I adjusted it all way down.

the new belt would not go on. I had to remove the adjuster completely to get little more travel and barely got the gen. Belt to slip on. Had to pry the generator out to get the adjuster bracket two bolts started. Very little adjustment threads sticking through the adjuster bracket with proper tension on the gen belt. I did notice the engine don’t rev up so much now. Seen no difference in top speed. The belts had the exact numbers as the originals.

Fredster 11-05-2019 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1687390)

After reading this thread I checked the drive belt on my 2015 Yamaha.
Manual says it should be 1.20 to 1.06 wide and replace at the lower number.
At 7800 miles it’s hardly worn at all, and haven’t noticed any slipping or power loss.

Topspinmo 11-06-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredster (Post 1693266)
After reading this thread I checked the drive belt on my 2015 Yamaha.
Manual says it should be 1.20 to 1.06 wide and replace at the lower number.
At 7800 miles it’s hardly worn at all, and haven’t noticed any slipping or power loss.

I measured mine also and was down to about 1.15. It was squealing when starting out. The squealing was why I changed it.