Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Brownwood (all-wood) Apartments (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/brownwood-all-wood-apartments-298762/)

Edward III 10-05-2019 05:30 AM

Brownwood (all-wood) Apartments

Home after a five week National Park road trip out west, was very surprised to see the Brownwood apartments built Three stories high, entirely framed in wood and sheathed in chipboard/oriented strand board. Fire Safety and Security questions..........smoke free buildings? Prohibited open flame within apartments? Regular scheduled fire evacuation drills using stairways in lieu of elevators? Tenants with mobility issues only placed on ground floors? Villages Firefighters familiarization with building and apartment floor plans, truck/ladder access to exterior of buildings in complex?

Bogie Shooter 10-05-2019 06:13 AM

Give these folks a call:
Building Services | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
VCDD Public Safety

graciegirl 10-05-2019 06:36 AM

florida building codes regarding wood framing for residential building - Bing

PrudentLifer 10-05-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward III (Post 1686310)
Home after a five week National Park road trip out west, was very surprised to see the Brownwood apartments built Three stories high, entirely framed in wood and sheathed in chipboard/oriented strand board. Fire Safety and Security questions..........smoke free buildings? Prohibited open flame within apartments? Regular scheduled fire evacuation drills using stairways in lieu of elevators? Tenants with mobility issues only placed on ground floors? Villages Firefighters familiarization with building and apartment floor plans, truck/ladder access to exterior of buildings in complex?

Cheaper than steel & concrete.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwel

Kerry Azz 10-05-2019 07:01 AM

Fire trap

PrudentLifer 10-05-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry Azz (Post 1686325)
Fire trap

Typically such structures have a fire suppression system capable at all exposure points.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell

Bill32 10-05-2019 07:45 AM

After scanning the Florida building codes I'm quite sure a fire sprinkler system will be installed throughout the building....

Altavia 10-05-2019 08:28 AM

Normal construction around the country, they seem to keep up with the latest building codes.

Wonder where residents will put their golf carts?

thelegges 10-05-2019 08:37 AM

The apartments are one year lease, when you sign lease will determine where your apartment is. Not sure i would invest in a cart to sit outside in a parking space, but at other care facilities they park their carts outside, some have a car port. As for the structure the structure had to have approval. Not worried if we chose to live there.

John_W 10-05-2019 08:47 AM

Looks like brick veneer around the first floor.

https://thevillagescommercialpropert...ts-BWLofts.jpg

The elevator shafts were built first out of block.

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...04&oe=5E2D4959

Most motels I stay anymore will have these, apartments shouldn't be any different.

https://www.claimsjournal.com/app/up...i-26416367.jpg

Edward III 10-05-2019 11:15 AM

Great input from all, a sprinkler system for fire suppression should do it.

Kenswing 10-05-2019 11:25 AM

You can also bet that they will have fire risers allowing the Fire Dept to pump high pressure water to the upper floors.

retiredguy123 10-05-2019 11:27 AM

The wood construction is a standard building technique for a 3 story building. Even many hotels are constructed with wood. It should not present a fire hazard. The problem is that, if I were to live in the building, I would want a top floor unit. Otherwise, you will very likely have a noise problem with the people living above you, especially if the people above you are heavy. I have never seen a wood floor constructed in a way that will eliminate noise transmission to the unit below. Sometimes, they will install a thin concrete floor topping which doesn't work. And, over time the wood floor joists will start to squeak, and the noise problem will get worse. Just my opinion.

PrudentLifer 10-05-2019 11:46 AM

I would think renting a home all year in TV would be a lot cheaper than renting these apartments. Either way, no maintenance for the tenant and full amenities.
I see no benefit to living in an apartment building unless it's in a downtown big city location.
When we were first married the tenants above us would practice their bowling with a real bowling ball.

George Orwell

retiredguy123 10-05-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrudentLifer (Post 1686401)
I would think renting a home all year in TV would be a lot cheaper than renting these apartments. Either way, no maintenance for the tenant and full amenities.
I see no benefit to living in an apartment building unless it's in a downtown big city location.
When we were first married the tenants above us would practice their bowling with a real bowling ball.

George Orwell

I agree. It reminds me of people who worked in downtown Washington, DC, and would buy a townhouse 40 miles from work with more than an hour daily commute.