Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Movies (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/)
-   -   Classic Movies - Reviews and Discussion - Redo (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-movies-127/classic-movies-reviews-discussion-redo-298806/)

Polar Bear 10-06-2019 11:34 AM

Classic Movies - Reviews and Discussion - Redo

Let's try this again. Sorry about the previous thread expiring. Since I started it, I take responsibility. I will do my best to keep this one going...with a little help from my friends of course!! :)

Maybe a little twist on the previous thread though. As before, I'll suggest a movie now and then and subsequently write my brief review of that movie. And of course the thread is open for everyone to review and chat about all classic movies. The slight twist could be that we come up with one movie that that we select, and then really encourage as many posters to watch and review as possible. Should be fun to see the varying reviews. Uncertain how the selection process would go. Not sure about something as formal as an occasional poll. We could always just informally pick one based upon thread input. Your thoughts are welcome.

One final reminder..."classic" movies don't have to be really, really old. I won't say a number, butt if it's been around a while, and has established itself as a very good movie that will pass the test of time, then it qualifies.

Well, let's go!! I'm not even going to mention what my next classic movie will be. But just to reinforce the "age is not important" rule, I'm debating between a movie from 1964 and another one from 2008. Hmmm. :popcorn:

Madelaine Amee 10-06-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1686634)
Let's try this again. Sorry about the previous thread expiring. Since I started it, I take responsibility. I will do my best to keep this one going...with a little help from my friends of course!! :)

Maybe a little twist on the previous thread though. As before, I'll suggest a movie now and then and subsequently write my brief review of that movie. And of course the thread is open for everyone to review and chat about all classic movies. The slight twist could be that we come up with one movie that that we select, and then really encourage as many posters to watch and review as possible. Should be fun to see the varying reviews. Uncertain how the selection process would go. Not sure about something as formal as an occasional poll. We could always just informally pick one based upon thread input. Your thoughts are welcome.

One final reminder..."classic" movies don't have to be really, really old. I won't say a number, butt if it's been around a while, and has established itself as a very good movie that will pass the test of time, then it qualifies.

Well, let's go!! I'm not even going to mention what my next classic movie will be. But just to reinforce the "age is not important" rule, I'm debating between a movie from 1964 and another one from 2008. Hmmm. :popcorn:

Thank you Mr. Bear for resurrecting this great non-offensive thread, it was fun before and I think we can do it again. The last thread was fun and I think we can do it again.

I would put forward for consideration the original "Bad Seed" The Bad Seed (1956 film) - Wikipedia. Wow, 1956 and it has stayed with me to this day.

Polar Bear 10-06-2019 12:13 PM

Good start Ms. Amee. :)

The Bad Seed (1956) - Rotten Tomatoes

Very good and a little (a lot??) creepy and scary. Can't beat that! :D

Polar Bear 10-07-2019 12:16 PM

Well, let's try to get this show a movin'...

Let's hear some suggestions for some classic movies to watch. From those suggestions, I'll either simply pick one, or possibly start a poll (preference?) to choose a movie to focus on...to get as many of you posters to watch and review or at least comment on as possible. Ms. Amee has already mentioned The Bad Seed. I'll throw in The Dark Knight. (This movie is only about 10 years old. But I just want to stress again that a movie doesn't have to be many decades old to be a classic...at least for this thread. Heheh.)

Your turn. :)

John_W 10-07-2019 02:13 PM

If you saw the Shape of Water, which I loved, they got the idea for the creature from this movie "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" filmed right here at Silver Springs. I happen to go on a glass bottom boat ride there when I was 7 years old and I never forgot the guide telling us, this is where the creature swam.

I'm starting with two cheesy flicks, but these I really enjoy. First is the 1954 release the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Of course it's in B/W and the acting is somewhat stiff, but a real popcorn movie you can watch over and over.

http://metrograph.com/uploads/films/...72-726x388.jpg

Since I'm on this 50's B/W sci-fi kick, my all time favorite is the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" from 1956. Not the 1978 remake in color with Donald Sutherland. They took out the suspense, it just wasn't scary. The film had a real storyline and kept you on the edge of your seat and starred Kevin McCarthy and there was even a love story angle with Dana Wynter, which fit perfect with the storyline.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org...?itok=62AhIMEw

billethkid 10-07-2019 05:53 PM

For me the two truly classic "horror" shows are the Boris Karloff Frankenstein (1931)

Frankenstein Official Trailer #1 - Boris Karloff Movie (1931) HD - YouTube

and The Mummy (1932) movies

The Mummy Official Trailer #1 - Boris Karloff Movie (1932) HD - YouTube

Taltarzac725 10-07-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1687059)
For me the two truly classic "horror" shows are the Boris Karloff Frankenstein (1931)

Both very good movies. :popcorn::bigbow:

John_W 10-08-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1687059)

As soon as I read this suggestion, this movie came to mind. I saw the film in the 60's on some creature feature and try and catch it whenever it is run. The movie is "Abbott & Costello Meets Frankenstein" (1948). What's so neat is it has all the major monsters with the original actors playing their parts. The Wolfman with Lon Chaney Jr, Dracula with Bela Lugosi and Glenn Strange as Frankenstein who had played Frankenstein after Boris Karloff became weary of the character in 1944.

The film was well acted, the characters play their part straight and I believe it's Abbott & Costello's best film. It's a spoof but a very good one. So many others liked it so much, that Abbott & Costello made a whole series of films about meeting other monsters.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...7,1000_AL_.jpg

Chi-Town 10-08-2019 09:19 AM

Just ordered Apocalypse Now: Final Cut. Coppola worked a long time to get this version to be his definitive take. The trailer link will remind you of what a classic this movie is from 40 years ago.

APOCALYPSE NOW: FINAL CUT - Official Trailer - Dir. by Francis Ford Coppola - YouTube

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Polar Bear 10-09-2019 10:29 AM

Okay. Here's our first attempt to get multiple posters to watch the same movie. Gonna try a poll. May be overkill. If so, in the future we'll (I'll? Heheh) just pick a movie. But for now, let's try this poll.

It's got quite a mixed bag for our first attempt. Lot's of horror. Most still of the very old variety. If any of this bothers you, don't worry. The poll just includes the movies mentioned so far. We'll vary things as we progress. But for now...VOTE!! :)

Ben Franklin 10-09-2019 11:12 AM

What constitutes a classic movie? I think the movie, Powder, is a classic. Filmed in 1995.

Powder Official 1995 Movie Trailer - YouTube

Polar Bear 10-10-2019 10:25 AM

Only a couple votes so far. Looks like the poll might be overkill after all. Heheh. I'll let it run for a day or so still, then if we don't have many votes, I'll just pick a movie that I'll suggest we watch and compare thoughts on. :)

Taltarzac725 10-10-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1687371)
Okay. Here's our first attempt to get multiple posters to watch the same movie. Gonna try a poll. May be overkill. If so, in the future we'll (I'll? Heheh) just pick a movie. But for now, let's try this poll.

It's got quite a mixed bag for our first attempt. Lot's of horror. Most still of the very old variety. If any of this bothers you, don't worry. The poll just includes the movies mentioned so far. We'll vary things as we progress. But for now...VOTE!! :)

Cool. Thanks for doing this.

Chi-Town 10-10-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1687161)
As soon as I read this suggestion, this movie came to mind. I saw the film in the 60's on some creature feature and try and catch it whenever it is run. The movie is "Abbott & Costello Meets Frankenstein" (1948). What's so neat is it has all the major monsters with the original actors playing their parts. The Wolfman with Lon Chaney Jr, Dracula with Bela Lugosi and Glenn Strange as Frankenstein who had played Frankenstein after Boris Karloff became weary of the character in 1944.

The film was well acted, the characters play their part straight and I believe it's Abbott & Costello's best film. It's a spoof but a very good one. So many others liked it so much, that Abbott & Costello made a whole series of films about meeting other monsters.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...7,1000_AL_.jpg

Can't see polls on Tapatalk but here's my vote. This making of video is excellent.

The Making of Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein - YouTube

Taltarzac725 10-10-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1687571)
Can't see polls on Tapatalk but here's my vote. This making of video is excellent.

The Making of Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein - YouTube

I picked that and 7 other movies up at Walmart on DVD. It has all the movies in the Frankenstein Complete Legacy Collection.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-.../dp/B01IFWT4B0