Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Vehicle thefts/robberies... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/vehicle-thefts-robberies-298836/)

fastbasser 10-07-2019 10:54 AM

Vehicle thefts/robberies...

Well folks, I found out why no one could see the report in the paper of my truck and another car in the Villages last week.

The Villages Daily Sun chose not to run it. It seems they call the Sheriffs office daily and pick and choose what they want to put into print. It appears they choose to hide crimes they don't want out which might ruin their "reputation".

FYI, it appears it's not that uncommon. According to a deputy I spoke with this morning, groups of men come up here more often than you know and do this.

We don't hear about it because the paper doesn't report it!

karostay 10-07-2019 11:04 AM

It their sand box...Sadly

PrudentLifer 10-07-2019 11:05 AM

Vehicle thefts/robberies...

"All the news that's fit to print" lol

Sorry about your truck.

A well informed populace is a well prepared populace. It's sad. Where's that sharpie?

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell

PrudentLifer 10-07-2019 11:32 AM

Admittedly, when we first bought here we were a bit kool aid tipsy. I still enjoy the high level of maintenance, but that's about it. As we've learned going forward there are many areas in Florida with the same level of upkeep but without the "Fort Apache" style demographic location.

George Orwell

Marathon Man 10-07-2019 11:34 AM

Same old complaint about the Daily Sun. Yes, they don't print crime. We know.

I assume my car might be stolen or broken into everytime I walk away from it. I keep nothing in my car that someone might want to steal. No need for additional warnings.

Villageswimmer 10-07-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastbasser (Post 1686914)
Well folks, I found out why no one could see the report in the paper of my truck and another car in the Villages last week.

The Villages Daily Sun chose not to run it. It seems they call the Sheriffs office daily and pick and choose what they want to put into print. It appears they choose to hide crimes they don't want out which might ruin their "reputation".

FYI, it appears it's not that uncommon. According to a deputy I spoke with this morning, groups of men come up here more often than you know and do this.

I see this is your first post. Can you please tell us exactly what happened, where, when?

I know of some ladies whose car windows were broken and valuables taken. Car was parked near polo field. This was a few months ago. A checkbook was in a purse stolen and checks forged.

They reported it, of course, but it was never in the paper.

John_W 10-07-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

I checked the online newspaper Villages News, (not affiliated with The Sun) and they usually print all the police reports. The last stories covered were a purse stolen from a car on August 30, and a woman who moved to TV a week earlier had her car stolen in July. They'll probably have your story in the near future. If you're not familiar with that newspaper, I can't post a link on TOTV for advertising reasons, but try this all together.

villages - news . com

I know you must be upset, I would myself. However, rather than bash the newspaper, help inform others of what happened. Was your car in the driveway, was it broken into or stolen? If it was stolen, how did they get it started? What village did this happen? Has your car been found? Has the perpetrator been caught?

BobnBev 10-07-2019 03:16 PM

Can you give us a description of the car--plate #--any unusual markings, etc?

dewilson58 10-07-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Keys left in the truck?? Hotwired??? Master key??? Or fake news??

coffeebean 10-08-2019 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villageswimmer (Post 1686942)
I see this is your first post. Can you please tell us exactly what happened, where, when?

I know of some ladies whose car windows were broken and valuables taken. Car was parked near polo field. This was a few months ago. A checkbook was in a purse stolen and checks forged.

They reported it, of course, but it was never in the paper.

Was the purse visible inside the car? I'm from NY and I would never leave anything of value visible inside my car. Actually, I don't leave anything visible inside my car.....not even a Publix bag with a box of cereal in it.

Bay Kid 10-08-2019 07:33 AM

This is a great place, but nothing is perfect sorry to say.

stan the man 10-08-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrudentLifer (Post 1686933)
Admittedly, when we first bought here we were a bit kool aid tipsy. I still enjoy the high level of maintenance, but that's about it. As we've learned going forward there are many areas in Florida with the same level of upkeep but without the "Fort Apache" style demographic location.

George Orwell

:bigbow:

C4Boston 10-08-2019 09:21 AM

Unfortunately there are a__holes everywhere. Leave nothing in sight and locked up you will probably be fine.