Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Just received my Juror summons (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/just-received-my-juror-summons-298937/)

PrudentLifer 10-11-2019 02:34 PM

Just received my Juror summons

In Ocala, federal. Whose done this and what can I expect?
Thanks in advance!

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell

Taltarzac725 10-11-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrudentLifer (Post 1687875)
Thanks in advance!

George Orwell

I did this around 2009. No cell phones in the building and you can get excused if 70 or over or take care of small kids or others with special needs.

https://www.flmd.uscourts.gov/sites/...y-brochure.pdf

The case I was on lasted about three days or so if memory serves. I got on the jury panel but the judge challenged me as I was being quite skimpy with my answers to his questions. I had to be as my background with the legal system is very complicated and cannot be covered in a few short sentences. I did follow the ruling by the judge in the media. It was a cop suing for discrimination on the basis of race. He had wanted to write his police reports in Spanish and some members of his department bullied him because of it. Judge found for the police department but criticized the employer and some of the police force for their actions. But did not hold them liable.

OrangeBlossomBaby 10-11-2019 02:56 PM

They might cancel and send you a notification instructing you to not come at all. That's been my experience most of the time I've been summoned.
But once you're there if not cancelled, you gather in a room for most of the day while some office person checks each juror candidate to make sure they're qualified to actually serve. Qualifications such as: are they literate, do they understand English fluently. Are they disabled. If they are disabled, what kind of accommodations are necessary? Does the candidate want to take advantage of the one-time "gimme" and walk away from the jury before the trial starts? If the candidate wishes to disqualify himself in advance, is he able to demonstrate his reasons (moving out of state three days before trial would be justification. Getting a paid day off that day for a dental appointment is not).

After this step, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can pick up from here. I was dismissed during this first process because I couldn't understand a word the judge was saying.

Topspinmo 10-11-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 1687881)
I did this around 2009. No cell phones in the building and you can get excused if 70 or over or take care of small kids or others with special needs.

https://www.flmd.uscourts.gov/sites/...y-brochure.pdf

The case I was on lasted about three days or so if memory serves. The judge challenged me as I was being quite skimpy with my answers to his questions. I had to be as my background with the legal system is very complicated and cannot be covered in a few short sentences.

Expect to be there all day. If you do get picked and not choosing, you will most likely be out of there before noon. If you don’t get picked you be there most of the day. If you get picked and selected to set on jury most last 3 to 5 days unless it murder trial. The

building on corner of 27/441 and CR40. Go through the stop light at CR40 and parking garage is on the right at the second stop light. Follow the signs to the other end of the building, security check as you enter the building.

Topspinmo 10-11-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1687885)
They might cancel and send you a notification instructing you to not come at all. That's been my experience most of the time I've been summoned.
But once you're there if not cancelled, you gather in a room for most of the day while some office person checks each juror candidate to make sure they're qualified to actually serve. Qualifications such as: are they literate, do they understand English fluently. Are they disabled. If they are disabled, what kind of accommodations are necessary? Does the candidate want to take advantage of the one-time "gimme" and walk away from the jury before the trial starts? If the candidate wishes to disqualify himself in advance, is he able to demonstrate his reasons (moving out of state three days before trial would be justification. Getting a paid day off that day for a dental appointment is not).

After this step, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can pick up from here. I was dismissed during this first process because I couldn't understand a word the judge was saying.

Not likely at Marion county

retiredguy123 10-11-2019 03:18 PM

I think the law should require that jurors be paid at least as much as the lawyers trying the case.

Topspinmo 10-11-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1687893)
I think the law should require that jurors be paid at least as much as the lawyers trying the case.

Defense lawyers!:)Not the bottom of the barrel county prosecutors. At least Marion County does better job of prosecutions.

billethkid 10-11-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1687893)

At a minimum the newly/loosely defined minimum wage of $15 per hour?
:faint:

retiredguy123 10-11-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 1687894)
Defense lawyers!:)Not the bottom of the barrel county prosecutors. At least Marion County does better job of prosecutions.

Agree. But, sending me a jury summons would be pointless. I would just tell the judge that, if you put me on the jury, I won't believe anything the defense attorney says in court.

billethkid 10-11-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1687905)
Agree. But, sending me a jury summons would be pointless. I would just tell the judge that, if you put me on the jury, I won't believe anything the defense attorney says in court.

And remind the judge about the lawyers who will do what they have to do or say to get their guilty clients acquitted.

Nucky 10-11-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrudentLifer (Post 1687875)
Thanks in advance!

George Orwell

The last Villager who showed up is now doing 5 to 10 Years at The Federal Correctional Complex in Coleman Florida. I hope you don't get the same treatment.

I would love to participate and imagine it would be similar to what we are accustomed to up North. I'll go for you if you don't wanna. :coolsmiley:

Villageswimmer 10-11-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1687940)
The last Villager who showed up is now doing 5 to 10 Years at The Federal Correctional Complex in Coleman Florida. I hope you don't get the same treatment.

I would love to participate and imagine it would be similar to what we are accustomed to up North. I'll go for you if you don't wanna. :coolsmiley:

Please explain your first sentence. They showed up for jury duty and ended up in Coleman? C’mon.

Taltarzac725 10-11-2019 07:00 PM

Jury Service | United States Courts

This might help.

Ocala | Middle District of Florida | United States District Court

Nucky 10-11-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villageswimmer (Post 1687964)
Please explain your first sentence. They showed up for jury duty and ended up in Coleman? C’mon.

It was a bad joke. Sometimes the good :super: guys set a trap by calling someone in for Jury Duty, as a Lottery Winer Etc. And when the person shows up, bingo :boom: they've got 'em. :boxing2:

Topspinmo 10-11-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1687908)
And remind the judge about the lawyers who will do what they have to do or say to get their guilty clients acquitted.

That’s why lawyers write the law. Yes don’t mean yes and no don’t mean no. They write them so they can argue, more the argue, the more they make. I call it lawyers welfare. :popcorn: the criminal or the victim has nothing to do with it. :popcorn: